Schipol is a mess - Please leave extra time!!

15 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@Laminator

both the Hilton and the Sheraton are in the airport.  If your porters can take you curbside, which should be the case, they can transport you to either hotel.  Literally in the airport.  

both the Sheraton and the Hilton had in hotel testing facilities.  Here is the Hilton

https://hiltonamsterdamairportschipol.wi-q.com/

this is the professional, quick testing service inside the Hilton 

https://jouwafspraak.nl/

also for ease of cruise boarding the Movenpick is next door to the terminal.  I enjoyed my stay there, it is at the quiet end of a street with a harbor view.  We enjoyed just hanging out people watching.  Nice buffet breakfast and a subway 2 doors down if you don’t want to “go out”, not exactly heart healthy but after 30 days of cruising a sub was just what I wanted 😉

That is where I wanted to stay but my friends are driving in from Heerlan so we are staying at a hotel near the airport where he can get a park and cruise deal. He has already arranged for a van to take us from the hotel to the cruise terminal so we are good to go there. I actually need to add about 8lbs so hopefully the cruise will do this for me.
Is Verifly even used there at boarding or will we be wasting our time?

Edited by Laminator

14 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Is Verifly even used there at boarding or will we be wasting our time?

Don’t bother.  It is used but I quickly noted the line for verifly was no quicker than our Neanderthal line. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

How is AMS for transiting passengers?  I'll be flying in September from Seattle - AMS, and then KLM from AMS - Copenhagen -- with about a 2-hour layover

If you are staying within the secure area of the airport and your luggage is being transferred by the airline you should be ok.   Be aware that AMS has some long distances to walk, if you are mobility impaired be sure to arrange gate assistance with your airline

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

How is AMS for transiting passengers?  I'll be flying in September from Seattle - AMS, and then KLM from AMS - Copenhagen -- with about a 2-hour layover

You will hardly have any problems. Your luggage will go all the way to Copenhagen if all is on the same ticket. You will go through passport control since you enter one of the countries in the Schengen zone. Just follow the signs to your next gate. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:08 PM, Laminator said:

Schipol has been a mess for a few weeks now. Hours long lines for departure with many missing their flights. Arrivals have not been a piece of cake either. Supposedly a plan will be announced tomorrow in an attempt to resolve the issues. That plan may include up to 30% flight cancelations. Please make sure to continuously check your flights and allow extra time. 

Frankfurt is no better.  Lufthansa is a freaking mess.  Short staffed.  Cancelling 1000's of flights and are losing everyones luggage (short staffed on bag handlers).  American flights from Frankfurt to US have all been cancelled (these are only the American planes, not affiliates like British airways). We were flying from Frankfurt to Vienna Friday night and our flight was cancelled.  The place was an absolute madhouse from all the cancelled flights.  

11 minutes ago, couplelovestravel said:

Frankfurt is no better.  Lufthansa is a freaking mess.  Short staffed.  Cancelling 1000's of flights and are losing everyones luggage (short staffed on bag handlers).  American flights from Frankfurt to US have all been cancelled (these are only the American planes, not affiliates like British airways). We were flying from Frankfurt to Vienna Friday night and our flight was cancelled.  The place was an absolute madhouse from all the cancelled flights.  

I didn’t want to hear that. I have a connection in a week to Nairobi. I hope my bag makes it. 

• Like 1