Documentation of Recovery and pre-cruise testing

mommajo22

My husband and I are cruising on the Millennium to Alaska in just 2 weeks,  We both tested positive for Covid at the beginning of May and had the county health department perform a PCR test to confirm the positive result so that we could obtain the Documentation of Recovery. I have looked at the Celebrity Healthy at Sea FAQ's and still question that all I need to provide is the Documentation of Recovery. Has anyone gone on a recent cruise with just this document? I understand that I can probably take an antigen test and be negative ( a PCR test could still show positive if my research is correct) but with our travel plans it will be difficult to obtain one before the cruise departs. I tried to call Celebrity but the hold times were ridiculous. Any help or clarification would be appreciated.  

6 minutes ago, mommajo22 said:

My husband and I are cruising on the Millennium to Alaska in just 2 weeks,  We both tested positive for Covid at the beginning of May and had the county health department perform a PCR test to confirm the positive result so that we could obtain the Documentation of Recovery. I have looked at the Celebrity Healthy at Sea FAQ's and still question that all I need to provide is the Documentation of Recovery. Has anyone gone on a recent cruise with just this document? I understand that I can probably take an antigen test and be negative ( a PCR test could still show positive if my research is correct) but with our travel plans it will be difficult to obtain one before the cruise departs. I tried to call Celebrity but the hold times were ridiculous. Any help or clarification would be appreciated.  

You should be able to board with the certificate of recovery.  Suggest you visit the Celebrity website to see the latest rules.

Glad you asked that question because we have a grandson cruising with us mid June who got a positive PCR so that he had documentation.  Now he will need a certificate of recovery.   What info needs to be on this COR when he gets passed the 10 day period on June 2.  He will get this from his doctor.  
Name DOB

positive PCR

fully recovered and no symptoms

Doctors signature 

All typed on official letterhead. 

Anything else or does this pretty much describe it.  Anyone that has gotten it please reply.  I would appreciate it.  We do not need it for flying back to the USA but rather to get on the ship. 
Thank you. 

I haven't used one for a cruise with Celebrity but a couple weeks ago I used it for return to the U.S.   Just uploaded it to United  -  the request was for either a COR or Negative Test within 1 day of flight.   It was approved in 30 minutes and never asked for it again at the airport.    I'm sure you will probably have to show it at Celebrity Checkin.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mauimary said:

Glad you asked that question because we have a grandson cruising with us mid June who got a positive PCR so that he had documentation.  Now he will need a certificate of recovery.   What info needs to be on this COR when he gets passed the 10 day period on June 2.  He will get this from his doctor.  
Name DOB

positive PCR

fully recovered and no symptoms

Doctors signature 

All typed on official letterhead. 

Anything else or does this pretty much describe it.  Anyone that has gotten it please reply.  I would appreciate it.  We do not need it for flying back to the USA but rather to get on the ship. 
Thank you. 

For flying the one I obtained in the U.K. they also asked for a passport number and the name on the certificate of recovery was entered exactly as on my passport.   I had to attach both the Positive Test Result and the COR for airline approval   Mine looked like the stock photo I am posting below.

Basic Info -  Date of Positive Test, Name, Passport Number, Date of Birth, type of Test (PCR or Antigen) , Sex and if you chose you could have date of travel put on certificate.  It was electronically signed by the Doctor that managed the certifying company with the NHS Doctor Registration number.

Covid Recovery Certificate for Travel

• Thanks 2

The Documentation of Recovery we received from our county health department states that we were provided isolation guidance by the health department following our positive Covid-19 viral test. It then states the recommended isolation period and says that after that, we are cleared to travel. We also have the lab 

No where on this letter does it "confirm recovery and completion of isolation" that Celebrity states. Since we will be 22 days after completion of the isolation period when we embark, with no symptoms, will we need to have some kind of "proof" that we are recovered? We also have the positive result letter from the lab that performed the test so that box is checked also.

I know I am probably overthinking all of this but this is our first cruise in almost 3 years and I just want it to go smoothly.

We are sailing in two weeks too. We tested positive for Covid on April 28. I contacted both my TA and a Celebrity Representative to figure out what I needed to do to minimize any risks of being refused boarding or unnecessarily quarantined.

I was advised to obtain a certified positive PCR test, as soon as positive after testing positive on the Antigen test; then to obtain a Certificate of Recovery. I will comply!

With these documents, I asked the Celebrity Rep, if I steel needed to do the Antigen test two days prior to board and the answer, provided to me was : yes.

So, a bit confused about this answer I asked, if my antigen test is negative, I can board the ship and if it's positive.... I can still board. The answer I received was: yes. So, I asked, what's the purpose of passing the antigen test, if the outcome does not impact my boarding process. The answer I was provided was : our protocole requires every passengers and crew to be tested prior to board!!!

My TA confirmed that infirmation.

Although, I am feeling a bit.... uneasy and insecure about this process, I will follow what I was told. I will pass an Antigen test on the Thursday ( via one of the on-line companies) and hopefully, boarding will go well on the Saturday. Fingers crossed! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cachouonacruise said:

We are sailing in two weeks too. We tested positive for Covid on April 28. I contacted both my TA and a Celebrity Representative to figure out what I needed to do to minimize any risks of being refused boarding or unnecessarily quarantined.

I was advised to obtain a certified positive PCR test, as soon as positive after testing positive on the Antigen test; then to obtain a Certificate of Recovery. I will comply!

With these documents, I asked the Celebrity Rep, if I steel needed to do the Antigen test two days prior to board and the answer, provided to me was : yes.

So, a bit confused about this answer I asked, if my antigen test is negative, I can board the ship and if it's positive.... I can still board. The answer I received was: yes. So, I asked, what's the purpose of passing the antigen test, if the outcome does not impact my boarding process. The answer I was provided was : our protocole requires every passengers and crew to be tested prior to board!!!

My TA confirmed that infirmation.

Although, I am feeling a bit.... uneasy and insecure about this process, I will follow what I was told. I will pass an Antigen test on the Thursday ( via one of the on-line companies) and hopefully, boarding will go well on the Saturday. Fingers crossed! 

This is exactly what I was concerned about - nowhere does it say that the Certificate or Documentation of Recovery replaces a negative antigen test. I guess we will be trying to figure out how/where to get an antigen test. Thanks for the information!

• Like 1

Go to the Celebrity Health and Travel link and review the FAQs for the specifics needed to board using a Certificate of Recovery.  We used the COR to board Millennium at Port of Vancouver 2 weeks ago, without a test.  At check in they asked a document officer to review the paperwork, and we were able to board.  

• Like 1

The wording in the FAQ is confusing regarding needing a test.  For a vaccinated person who has been apx 14 days they should be negative on an antigen.  With a PCR probably is not.

From the FAQ. Beginning with sailings departing on or after March 18, 2022, guests who have recently recovered from COVID-19 may present a Certificate of Recovery and proof of the positive PCR test result taken between 11-90 days prior to the sail date in order to board. We will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in place of a vaccination record. Additionally, please be aware that some ports of call do not accept a Certificate of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination. For more details, please visit our FAQs.

Personally I don't think it's confusing, but may be due to having used a COR to return to the U.S.   

My reading is that if you had tested positive and have a positive PCR Test plus a COR you do not need to be tested, if between 11 and 90 days of positive test result.  Many people continue to test positive long after infection.

The second sentence says you still need a Vaccination Certificate

It was similar for return to the U.S. for us with a COR but for U.S accepted a LFT or PCR.   Instead of uploading a Negative Test Results on United Airlines site we uploaded the Positive Test showing date and COR.  I

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

We are also looking at this with interest. We both had covid middle of May and cruising from Civitavecchia middle of July. We paid for PCR tests so we can obtain  a COR. The way I read the information from Celebrity suggests a certificate of recovery is acceptable to board so long as you can provide vaccination status. We are fully vaccinated and  boosted.  I have also been advised by a Celebrity representative that we need to take an antigen test pre boarding. That doesn’t correlate with what is written. I’m wondering if anyone in here has successfully boarded in Europe with just a COR?