Crown, June 11th

GloriaF

Just now, Sailor75 said:

I disagree. I have been on over 50 cruises and over the years have spoken to many cruisers who have been to Alaska. I think Alaska may be a once in a lifetime cruise and that may be why so many first time Princess cruisers; but, Princess ruined that. As you said I got to "see Alaska" not experience it.

I have been to Alaska many times also. And during those times, the vast majority of the cruisers have been first time cruisers. Alaska often attracts those who are not typical cruisers. This is very common. 

Sorry you had a bad cruise.

• Like 2

I think Princess gets a lot of first time Princess cruisers because they offer Glacier Bay, that's why we chose them for our first Alaska cruise.  As far as our Alaska re-do cruise we are planning for 2023 the jury is still out on if it will be with Princess even with the 20% FCC, I've been pretty frustrated with Princess post cruise with their customer service department.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

I think Princess gets a lot of first time Princess cruisers because they offer Glacier Bay, that's why we chose them for our first Alaska cruise.  As far as our Alaska re-do cruise we are planning for 2023 the jury is still out on if it will be with Princess even with the 20% FCC, I've been pretty frustrated with Princess post cruise with their customer service department.  

You were on the first cruise right? May 7th? From what I remember you had a worst cruise than us on May 21st; but, we were given a 20% FCC and $300 per person which I don't think you got. I don't think we got enough, but the other cruises should've at least gotten that. I already booked my next 2 cruises and I can tell you they're not on Princess, I don't care about their future cruise credit or their over priced cruises.

19 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have been to Alaska many times also. And during those times, the vast majority of the cruisers have been first time cruisers. Alaska often attracts those who are not typical cruisers. This is very common. 

Sorry you had a bad cruise.

I guess you're not on the Crown? Or, you don't care about the cancelled stops and reduced times in port since you've been there many times (other people haven't and have spent thousands for a once in a lifetime cruise). By, the way, Princess is still selling this cruise with ports and times they can't possibly do and changing the cruise after enough people book it; that's unethical.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

I guess you're not on the Crown? Or, you don't care about the cancelled stops and reduced times in port since you've been there many times (other people haven't and have spent thousands for a once in a lifetime cruise). By, the way, Princess is still selling this cruise with ports and times they can't possibly do and changing the cruise after enough people book it; that's unethical.

I am not on the Crown and I am sorry for those who are first time cruisers in Alaska and are missing Alaska. I have said several times that I think Princess needs to refund passengers more for not providing a very good experience in Alaska.

My first time cruise to Alaska was on RCCL and it was incredibly disappointing as we missed things also. RCCL also had some unethical things on my Alaskan cruise (advertised Hubbard glacier when there was no way any ships were getting there that season). Thankfully I returned to Alaska and had some great cruises though it took a long time to get my Mom back on an Alaskan cruise.

6 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

You were on the first cruise right? May 7th? From what I remember you had a worst cruise than us on May 21st; but, we were given a 20% FCC and $300 per person which I don't think you got

Yes I was on the May 7th and yes I would agree we got the worst of the Crown cruises so far.  Multiple last minute itinerary changes, late ports, plumbing issues, 2200 passengers, lack of staff, closed restaurants that they advertise and equipment out of service on a ship that was idle for 2 years. I am aware that your cruise got more compensation than us, and I'm glad cruisers got more as IMO this was avoidable.  I'm also aware that some other sailings got less or nothing at all.  The amount of compensation we received is what I want to discuss with someone from Princess's management.  I've sent many emails and placed several calls and have given multiple timelines from CS that someone from the management side would reach out to me, they have all come and gone. It appears what Princess is doing by announcing changes last minute is a benefit to the company at the expense of the paying customers.  And I am quite aware of the contract that I signed, I think it's awful that Princess wants to hide behind the contract for issues that were known.  This has the appearance of a bait and switch situation.  

At this point in addition to my numerous attempts to contact Princess (as of now I've only asked for a return call to discuss my experience and ask for more FCC) I have filed a complaint with the BBB, and my next step is to file a complaint with the Federal Maritime Commission.  Beyond that I've thought about contacting a local consumer reporter for assistance.  I only took these recent actions because I do feel Princess is ignoring my complaints. Yes I am aware that I am opening myself up to criticism especially from the Princess loyalists, but what would you suggest? Again I've only asked for a return call to this date which I've been told is coming from Princess.

FMC:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1727

Reviews of the Crown, plenty of cruisers were unhappy:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/princess-crown-princess-alaska-cruises_cl28-sh347-de115/mra/

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

You were on the first cruise right? May 7th? From what I remember you had a worst cruise than us on May 21st; but, we were given a 20% FCC and $300 per person which I don't think you got. I don't think we got enough, but the other cruises should've at least gotten that. I already booked my next 2 cruises and I can tell you they're not on Princess, I don't care about their future cruise credit or their over priced cruises.

I still don’t get how the May 21 people got fcc and extra obc when the following sailing of the 28th (which I was on) had the same issues but got nothing extra.  They made last minute changes (even sent us a letter a day before) but never offered us any other compensation. 

like I said before, what gives with the inconsistencies?  

is there anything we can do to get something back like the other sailing dates? I’ve asked the people on the ship and they said they couldn’t do anything. Who can we ask that can do something?

btw, princess is really messing with people’s heads.  Earlier this week for the June 18th sailing, they had Juneau as being 430. I guess they thought if the June 11 made it at that time, they can update the itinerary.  Lookie now…the 18th schedule was updated to 4pm for Juneau.

what????

Edited by wolvey

11 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

I agree. Princess knows that it will have to alter the itineraries in August yet is still listing the original ports of call and times--arrival in Juneau at noon and Ketchikan included. There's no miraculous cure that will fix the ship between now and then. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

Yes I was on the May 7th and yes I would agree we got the worst of the Crown cruises so far.  Multiple last minute itinerary changes, late ports, plumbing issues, 2200 passengers, lack of staff, closed restaurants that they advertise and equipment out of service on a ship that was idle for 2 years. I am aware that your cruise got more compensation than us, and I'm glad cruisers got more as IMO this was avoidable.  I'm also aware that some other sailings got less or nothing at all.  The amount of compensation we received is what I want to discuss with someone from Princess's management.  I've sent many emails and placed several calls and have given multiple timelines from CS that someone from the management side would reach out to me, they have all come and gone. It appears what Princess is doing by announcing changes last minute is a benefit to the company at the expense of the paying customers.  And I am quite aware of the contract that I signed, I think it's awful that Princess wants to hide behind the contract for issues that were known.  This has the appearance of a bait and switch situation.  

At this point in addition to my numerous attempts to contact Princess (as of now I've only asked for a return call to discuss my experience and ask for more FCC) I have filed a complaint with the BBB, and my next step is to file a complaint with the Federal Maritime Commission.  Beyond that I've thought about contacting a local consumer reporter for assistance.  I only took these recent actions because I do feel Princess is ignoring my complaints. Yes I am aware that I am opening myself up to criticism especially from the Princess loyalists, but what would you suggest? Again I've only asked for a return call to this date which I've been told is coming from Princess.

FMC:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1727

Reviews of the Crown, plenty of cruisers were unhappy:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/princess-crown-princess-alaska-cruises_cl28-sh347-de115/mra/

Well said Jeff. I just don't think Princess cares; if they did, they would've done the right thing from the beginning instead of worrying only about themselves. It's definitely a bait and switch.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

So did we ....we weren't willing to take the chance that things would get better.

We tried to switch, but since Princess took so long to tell us of the change, the flights were booked as the Discovery sailed on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Edited by Sailor75
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

We tried to switch, but since Princess took so long to tell us of the change, the flights were booked as the Discovery sailed on Sunday instead of Saturday.

that stinks!  We kept our flight Friday flight into Seattle but were able to switch our return flights to Sunday...so we will have an extra night's lodging expense...but it was worth it for peace of mind. 

3 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

that stinks!  We kept our flight Friday flight into Seattle but were able to switch our return flights to Sunday...so we will have an extra night's lodging expense...but it was worth it for peace of mind. 

And you'll have all day Saturday to explore Seattle. I went to a Mariners game several years ago--during Ichiro's first or second season with the team. I always like to check the schedule whenever I'm going to be in a MLB city--and I'm not a big follower of baseball.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 4:53 PM, GloriaF said:

We’re on Crown now. Captain announced today there are 1600 something pax and 1200 are first timers. Now it makes sense since we received an invite to the most traveled pax luncheon.  Never before and probably never again. We have lots of cruises with Princess, but not in the most traveled category usually. 

Weather was  good but windy and cold. Seattle was warm and sunny and I was beginning to think I had packed too many warm clothes. Just before sail away yesterday we felt a cool wind and it just kept getting colder.  Monday and rest of week has rain at least part of the day.  Rainy with low clouds/fog  InJuneau.
50 F. 

we are visiting Mendenhall Glacier but will not do the hike to Nugget Falls in the cold rain. Hoping for better weather later. Captain announced we have made better time than expected and we will arrive in Juneau earlier than anticipated. Great news. Now if only rain stops and clouds lift!  

All cruises are fun in my opinion!!  

What deck is the quarantine deck? Aloha?

TIA

16 hours ago, geoherb said:

And you'll have all day Saturday to explore Seattle. I went to a Mariners game several years ago--during Ichiro's first or second season with the team. I always like to check the schedule whenever I'm going to be in a MLB city--and I'm not a big follower of baseball.

Last time we went to The Space Needle, the Chihuly Garden and Glass, The Seattle Art Museum but ran out of time and only had a short time at Pike's Place Market so that is where we plan to go and hopefully the Aquarium.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

What deck is the quarantine deck? Aloha?

TIA

Deck 12, forward, port side when I was on May 21st; I'm sure it's still the same. I didn't go to the aft.

Edited by Sailor75

21 hours ago, The Collie said:

To those on the current 6/11 sailing, did your ship make it to Icy Point, Glacier Bay, and to Victoria or were there changes that occurred when you were on the ship?

ISP was canceled before the cruise started. Princess gave everyone $200 in OBC (non refundable) for cancellation of Ketchikan and then ISP but these canceled ports were announced prior to boarding. 

Juneau time was shortened, but day of Juneau the ship made better time and got to port at 3:30 instead of anticipated 5:30. The original time on itinerary was to arrive at 12:30. 

Skagway was a full day. 6:0 am to 8:00 pm I think, but could have been 10 pm. 

Glacier Bay was the full time 6 am - 3 pm. We saw GB in 2005, and the regression of the glaciers in the past 17 years was sad. Margerie glaciers is half what I remember from 2005. 

Victoria times were slightly longer than advertised. Supposed to be arriving at 7 pm and ship actually arrived closer to 4 pm. 

Libby Riddle was on board in Juneau, and a couple puppies were onboard in Skagway. Of course the puppies became a photo op for Princess. There was a long line to hold a puppy and pose for the pic. but we didn’t do it. We did stop by to look at the pups. 

since it was our second Alaska cruise, and Glacier Bay was what we cared about, we enjoyed the cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Port Valet was a confused mess onboard. When we didn’t receive the form to fill out in our cabin, we went to Guest Services. They said Princess was not taking part. I filled out the PV form online and took it back to GS. Another person told us they would email our airline (Delta) to be sure they were participating and they would leave a voicemail for us. No messages so we checked again to no avail, so we booked Seattle Express ($42 for pier pickup for 2), then on Friday we received Port Valet tags and disembarkation instructions.  So, we used Port Valet but rode Seattle Express to the airport. We had EZAir reservations. Today when we arrived from Seattle toNYC (JFK) our final flight is canceled. We’re waiting around to see if we can get on later today as stand by, and if not we will get hotel voucher for tonight. Trying to stay positive, but not a good ending!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

ISP was canceled before the cruise started. Princess gave everyone $200 in OBC (non refundable) for cancellation of Ketchikan and then ISP but these canceled ports were announced prior to boarding. 

Juneau time was shortened, but day of Juneau the ship made better time and got to port at 3:30 instead of anticipated 5:30. The original time on itinerary was to arrive at 12:30. 

Skagway was a full day. 6:0 am to 8:00 pm I think, but could have been 10 pm. 

Glacier Bay was the full time 6 am - 3 pm. We saw GB in 2005, and the regression of the glaciers in the past 17 years was sad. Margerie glaciers is half what I remember from 2005. 

Victoria times were slightly longer than advertised. Supposed to be arriving at 7 pm and ship actually arrived closer to 4 pm. 

Libby Riddle was on board in Juneau, and a couple puppies were onboard in Skagway. Of course the puppies became a photo op for Princess. There was a long line to hold a puppy and pose for the pic. but we didn’t do it. We did stop by to look at the pups. 

since it was our second Alaska cruise, and Glacier Bay was what we cared about, we enjoyed the cruise. 

Thanks for your Live report! Glad you had a good cruise even with the port changes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GloriaF said:

Port Valet was a confused mess onboard. When we didn’t receive the form to fill out in our cabin, we went to Guest Services. They said Princess was not taking part. I filled out the PV form online and took it back to GS. Another person told us they would email our airline (Delta) to be sure they were participating and they would leave a voicemail for us. No messages so we checked again to no avail, so we booked Seattle Express ($42 for pier pickup for 2), then on Friday we received Port Valet tags and disembarkation instructions.  So, we used Port Valet but rode Seattle Express to the airport. We had EZAir reservations. Today when we arrived from Seattle toNYC (JFK) our final flight is canceled. We’re waiting around to see if we can get on later today as stand by, and if not we will get hotel voucher for tonight. Trying to stay positive, but not a good ending!

So sorry. On my December cruise, the last night, I was notified my flight was cancelled. Next day came further cancellations. It is stressful. Please post when you get home!

• Like 1

It is stressful. Going on 36 hours in the same clothes!  DH sees problems, and I’ve always tried to look on the brighter side. It’s not fun but we will survive. I immediately thought of you when this happened bc I know you’ve been through it. Being Sunday and arriving at 5:30 AM, calling Princess or TA was not an option so went straight to Delta’s “help” desk. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

It is stressful. Going on 36 hours in the same clothes!  DH sees problems, and I’ve always tried to look on the brighter side. It’s not fun but we will survive. I immediately thought of you when this happened bc I know you’ve been through it. Being Sunday and arriving at 5:30 AM, calling Princess or TA was not an option so went straight to Delta’s “help” desk. 

I was still on the ship when my flight was cancelled and we were still in port (with cell coverage) so I went to the passenger services desk to ask as I wasn't sure if I should call the airline or check with Princess. I had the look of the guy I was speaking to "I have no clue what to do". Thankfully United rebooked me when speaking to the guy  but the next day, I had 5 more cancellations.

Please tell your husband "HI" from me. I hope you make it home today sometime!!! I hope you enjoyed the cooler temps in Alaska. We have benign the 100's for most of this past week - I wish I was in Alaska!

• Like 1