Supplemental insurance

Mary229

I could use some advice.  I have a full annual medical travel policy.  I have Chase Sapphire insurance which will cover the actual cruise fare.  Is it possible to buy a “supplemental “ policy to cover additional expenses such as hotels, flights and tours?  Or do I need to cover everything in one policy and work it out with the insurance agencies if there is a claim.  I know Chase puts themselves in a second position.    Thank you. 

another angle is we each have a Chase sapphire card.  If I pay the fare on one and the other expenses on another are they then treated as separate insurance?

Edited by Mary229

The Chase limit per person per trip is $10,000 capped at $20,000 per trip. Do you need more than that to cover cruise fare per person plus hotels, etc?

Most hotels allow you to cancel without a penalty. Depending on which rate you book, it could be within 24 hours. Do you want to insure something that is refundable?

The same is true for air fare. The air line is likely to issue a voucher. In that case, it could be difficult to get cash reimbursement from Chase. 

Also be careful about relying on Chase for cancellation because of the pre-existing conditions exclusion. Be sure you know how that works and if it applies to you or anyone else you are covering for the trip.

Be aware of what is covered by the Trip Interruption and Trip Delay provisions. Unless your other insurance provides for this, you may have a gap in coverage which is something to consider in the days of COVID testing and isolation requirements, especially for return international travel.

@Babr  I do have a full medical policy for travel so that is good.  Yes my costs exceed the limit and the only reason I would cancel would be death of parent or travel partner (spouse) or medical incapacitation of either of us.  You make good points about vouchers.  I have one or two non refundable costs and I will bear the loss if there is not an affordable solution 

Medical incapacitation is the concern. Be sure either of you do not have anything in your medical history that could be considered a pre-existing condition.

As far using two cards, that is probably a question for Chase. They are two separate accounts, but it could be a problem if both are authorized users on each.

If you want to add additional coverage on top of the Chase coverage it can become somewhat complicated if you need to file a claim.  You may well need to file two claims (one with each company) and then the fun and games can begin with "coordination of coverage."  Chase's claims examiner will quickly point out that Chase is "secondary" and clearly says they will only pay claims in excess of other purchased travel insurance (which would be your supplemental policy).  But if your supplemental policy also States they pay secondary to other policies then you start pulling out your hair!  My advice would be to contact a professional travel insurance broker (brokers generally work with multiple insurance companies) who can explain the pros/cons of the available supplemental policies.  

Just a personal note that I once had to deal with a Chase claims examiner (on a large claim) and it was anything but fun.  I have often thought an interesting 2nd career would be to work as an Ombudsman helping folks file and resolve insurance claims.  I recall teasing the Chase claims examiner that she got paid "to wear down claimants."  She did not laugh....and also did not deny the assertion.

Hank

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have often thought an interesting 2nd career would be to work as an Ombudsman helping folks file and resolve insurance claims.  I recall teasing the Chase claims examiner that she got paid "to wear down claimants."  She did not laugh....and also did not deny the assertion.

Hi Hank,

We help everyone with claims. I enjoy helping people get their claims paid, but after 28 months of suffering through covid, claimants aren't as patient as they were pre-covid.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Hank,

We help everyone with claims. I enjoy helping people get their claims paid, but after 28 months of suffering through covid, claimants aren't as patient as they were pre-covid.

Steve Dasseos

I can just imagine 😞  If you think some of your customers have lost their patience you should see what goes on in airports.  Perhaps one of the "long Covid" symptoms is the  loss of manners.

Hank

On 5/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, Babr said:

The Chase limit per person per trip is $10,000 capped at $20,000 per trip. Do you need more than that to cover cruise fare per person plus hotels, etc?

The Chase Sapphire limit is $5000 per person, $10,000 total.  The larger numbers you cite I believe are Sapphire Preferred.

25 minutes ago, Ben2travel said:

The Chase Sapphire limit is $5000 per person, $10,000 total.  The larger numbers you cite I believe are Sapphire Preferred.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. The OP did not specify, and I answered as if she were referring to the card with the higher limit because that is the one most people use when pairing it with a medical only travel policy.

Neither is adequate because there are significant gaps in coverage. Cancellation works if one can avoid the pre-existing conditions exclusion. Some have used it successfully in some instances, but many assume they don’t have a pre-existing condition without understanding the term.

51 minutes ago, Babr said:

Neither is adequate because there are significant gaps in coverage. Cancellation works if one can avoid the pre-existing conditions exclusion. Some have used it successfully in some instances, but many assume they don’t have a pre-existing condition without understanding the term.

Thanks.  Could you explain what you mean there?  What would be an example of a pre-existing condition that I might assume did not pertain?  The potential for COVID is my primary concern.

If the cancellation is caused by a positive Covid test, that is clearly a sudden onset of illness. It would require a doctor’s confirmation of the diagnosis and a statement that you should not travel. That is a straightforward example of cancellation for a covered reason.

However, if you were to cancel because of some other malady, the claims process would require you to reveal your medical records to confirm that the cause of cancellation was not the result of a pre-existing condition. Any manifestation of symptoms that caused you to seek a consultation, any test / treatment ordered by a doctor,  or even a new prescription or change to an existing one could be considered a pre-existing condition. That applies to most of us.

Lots of people take prescriptions regularly. That is OK as long as the condition remains stable, but if RX change - whether in dosage or medication itself - causes problems related to the cancellation, then the claim will be denied.

Many comprehensive policies allow for a waiver of the pre-existing conditions exclusion if purchased within a defined time window. That allows you to be fully covered if you meet other requirements such as being able to travel on the day the policy is purchased and sometimes insuring all nonrefundable cost, depending on the policy.

17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have the preferred and no preexisting conditions

That's good. I assume it also applies to your "parent or travel partner" too.  

Just remember that if you file a claim with Chase for any part of their coverage that excludes pre-existing conditions (trip cancellation and interruption), they have the right to see medical records to prove there were no pre-existing conditions.  Some people are surprised by this and are not comfortable with turning over their medical records to the insurer.

Access to medical records does not apply to just Chase or credit cards. It applies to any travel insurance policy where you were not able to waive the pre-existing conditions clause, and the claim is due to a medical reason. 

You may be very well aware of this, but it might help someone else reading this thread.

Also, Chase applies the pre-existing condition language to non-traveling immediate family members.  Many comprehensive travel insurance policies don't include non-traveling family members in their definition of a pre-existing condition.

I am not trying to talk you out of what you are doing. I just want to be sure you understand some of the limitations.  We use an annual GeoBlue Trekker policy and a Chase card for most of our trips.  Occasionally we add a separate comprehensive policy, depending on the trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

To include non-travelling family member

I see how my wording was confusing.  I was trying to say: Mary229 has no pre-existing conditions and I hope her parent(s) or travel partner(s) also have no pre-existing conditions.  Chase won't cover cancellation if the reason for cancelation can be tied back to a pre-existing condition of any of the people we are talking about (Mary, spouse, parents).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

I see how my wording was confusing.  I was trying to say: Mary229 has no pre-existing conditions and I hope her parent(s) or travel partner(s) also have no pre-existing conditions.  Chase won't cover cancellation if the reason for cancelation can be tied back to a pre-existing condition of any of the people we are talking about (Mary, spouse, parents).

I have a separate annual medical policy AND Chase

Yes, but they are independent of each other. The medical will cover treatment for sickness or accidents while you are traveling. There are no pre-departure benefits.

Chase will cover cancellation and reimbursement of cruise fare as long as you do not cancel for a reason that can be related to a pre-existing condition. Having a separate medical policy is irrelevant when discussing Chase cancellation or interruption  coverage.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

We use an annual GeoBlue Trekker policy

The annual Geo Blue Trekker policy covers both Covid related cancellations/delays/interruptions/incidents both US & International, as well as, pre-existing conditions? - TIA

2 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

The annual Geo Blue Trekker policy covers both Covid related cancellations/delays/interruptions/incidents both US & International, as well as, pre-existing conditions? - TIA

No for most of that. It is primarily medical and medical evacuation. No USA coverage, outside of US only. It does cover pre-existing conditions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, westcoastmom said:

I read somewhere that the Geo Blue Trekker policy doesn't cover Covid illnesses and in this environment, it doesn't seem adequate. Am I missing something?

6 hours ago, westcoastmom said:

In reading more, there's a page that says Geo Blue Trekker does cover Covid 19 . Which is it?

GeoBlue Trekker currently covers COVID-19 like any other illness. It covers medical evacuation if you have COVID-19 and it is medically necessary.  Yes, there were some prior restrictions.  As with anything related to travel today, you need to look at the current rules.

https://about.geo-blue.com/crisisalert/covid19-members