Lunch Options Embarkation Day - UDP

Hello all!!! Couldn’t find the answer to this In a topic search, so hoping someone can help…We are sailing on Harmony with a mix of suite and non-suite guests. All have the UDP. Are there any restaurants open for lunch that we can use the UDP; like Chops, Playmakers, Jamie’s Italian or Izumi? Thanks in advance to any all who answer.

Happy cruising!!!

3 minutes ago, Aqualung22 said:

Hello all!!! Couldn’t find the answer to this In a topic search, so hoping someone can help…We are sailing on Harmony with a mix of suite and non-suite guests. All have the UDP. Are there any restaurants open for lunch that we can use the UDP; like Chops, Playmakers, Jamie’s Italian or Izumi? Thanks in advance to any all who answer.

Happy cruising!!!

If you download the app it should give you restaurant days/hours. On our Anthem sailing it shows Jamie's as the only specialty open for lunch on embarkation day. 

Thank you all for the quick response, we will download the app and use that as our guide!

Follow up question, when we get on the ship can we use the suite concierge to make all of our UDP reservations for both the suite and non-suite guests? Has anyone had issues not getting reservations as a suite guest? 

3 minutes ago, Aqualung22 said:

Thank you all for the quick response, we will download the app and use that as our guide!

Follow up question, when we get on the ship can we use the suite concierge to make all of our UDP reservations for both the suite and non-suite guests? Has anyone had issues not getting reservations as a suite guest? 

The suite concierge can make your reservations for the suite guests (if you are staying in a full suite) in advance as they will reach out to you the week before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aqualung22 said:

Unless times have changed, and they have in so many ways, the Concierge will pass on making the reservations for the non-suite guests. Their time is allocated for the guests in the suites. 

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the original subject of UDP and specialty dining on embarkation day...I decided to buy UDP for our October cruise on Voyager.  I checked the app, and it lists all three specialty restaurants (Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi) open 12:00-1:30 on Day 1.  Does that mean they would all be available for lunch with UDP?  I thought they usually had Chops open just for suite guests for lunch on embarkation day (we are in a GS).  

52 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Back to the original subject of UDP and specialty dining on embarkation day...I decided to buy UDP for our October cruise on Voyager.  I checked the app, and it lists all three specialty restaurants (Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi) open 12:00-1:30 on Day 1.  Does that mean they would all be available for lunch with UDP?  I thought they usually had Chops open just for suite guests for lunch on embarkation day (we are in a GS).  

I’d be surprised if all of those specialties are open for lunch on embarkation day but I guess anything’s possible.  I have never known of any specialty restaurant (except for the Coastal Kitchen) to be exclusive to suite guests (and/or Pins) on embarkation day.  Having said all of that, if any specialty restaurant is open on embarkation day, it will be open to those with the UDP.  My guess is that only Chops or Giovanni’s will be open…but that’s just a guess.

• Like 2

On the Freedom/Voyager class ships, Chops is usually open for lunch on embarkation day exclusive to suite guests.  They don't serve food - it's just a place to sit after you get your plate in the adjacent Windjammer.  They will bring/refill drinks and clear tables.  At least that is how it worked prior to the pandemic.  

10 minutes ago, rudeney said:

On the Freedom/Voyager class ships, Chops is usually open for lunch on embarkation day exclusive to suite guests.  They don't serve food - it's just a place to sit after you get your plate in the adjacent Windjammer.  They will bring/refill drinks and clear tables.  At least that is how it worked prior to the pandemic.  

Now I understand what you’re talking about.  No food service, just open tables.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Now I understand what you’re talking about.  No food service, just open tables.  

Yeah, I was probably not clear in how I first describe that! 🙂

I am still questioning if UDP can be used on embarkation day for lunch.  Looking at the app, all three specialty restaurants show as open 12:00pm - 1:30pm each day for lunch.  UDP can be used on "sea days", so I wonder if embarkation is counted in that.  I guess it's really not a sea day since it leaves port, but there is no "destination" that day.  Also, with them being open for lunch, I am guess no more using access to sit in Chops for suite guests on embarkation day.  ☹️

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

Yeah, I was probably not clear in how I first describe that! 🙂

I am still questioning if UDP can be used on embarkation day for lunch.  Looking at the app, all three specialty restaurants show as open 12:00pm - 1:30pm each day for lunch.  UDP can be used on "sea days", so I wonder if embarkation is counted in that.  I guess it's really not a sea day since it leaves port, but there is no "destination" that day.  Also, with them being open for lunch, I am guess no more using access to sit in Chops for suite guests on embarkation day.  ☹️

Yes, the UDP works for embarkation day.  The general rule for the UDP is, if the restaurant is operating and can accommodate you, you can eat there.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rudeney said:

I was on Independence March and May. Both times they served steaks in Chops.

2 hours ago, indy212 said:

I was on Independence March and May. Both times they served steaks in Chops.

When I said, "On the Freedom/Voyager class ships, Chops is usually open for lunch on embarkation day exclusive to suite guests.  They don't serve food - it's just a place to sit after you get your plate in the adjacent Windjammer." I was referring to previous cruises, pre-pandemic where that was a suite guest benefit.  It does seem it has changed.  

On 5/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, Aqualung22 said:

OP

Harmony this March the only option we had on embarkation day was Sabor on the Boardwalk for lunch.

It was busy and service was slow

YMMV

Happy Days!