Shoe Shine

duquephart

and even better...I had a Keen fail and our room steward had the carpenter shop wood glue the sole back on and the shoes lasted me the rest of our journey!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, deec said:

and even better...I had a Keen fail and our room steward had the carpenter shop wood glue the sole back on and the shoes lasted me the rest of our journey!!!

DH had the exact thing happen with his pair of Merrill’s when we were in Uruguay, and another 18 days left of the cruise.  We went shoe shopping in Punta del Este, and his shoes disappeared.  Our cabin steward took them away and repaired them, good as new.

Not gonna mention that DH had bought a 2 brand new pair 2 months before we sailed on this 54 day cruise, and brought the 15 year old pair of shoes instead!  I guess I did!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, duquephart said:

Has anyone here availed themselves of the "free" shoe shine service? I wonder if they can be trusted with a fine pair of shell cordovan longwing Bluchers.

Of course I had to look up these fine shoes as I had never heard of them.  However my question is on what occasion would they be worn whilst on a Viking cruise?   My DH insists on taking  his Church's brogue Loafers (with the tassels which I hate).  They weigh a ton in the luggage  -he puts them in his carry on which more or less fills it as he has big feet. They seem an uneasy mix with every one else's more casual vacation style footwear and nobody notices anyway.  Sorry - as you can see a little bone of contention in our house.  He has never had them cleaned onboard and I hope he never reads this thread as it will give him ideas above his station.

I'd wear them to dinner. Snobs will call them a dress shoe but they are actually casual - the original intention of the broguing being to release water accumulated while stomping around the bogs.

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

I'd wear them to dinner. Snobs will call them a dress shoe but they are actually casual - the original intention of the broguing being to release water accumulated while stomping around the bogs.

Casual?  As in for summer months we should expect to see you out and about wearing them with your khaki tropical shorts and white knee socks? 😉 

31 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Casual?  As in for summer months we should expect to see you out and about wearing them with your khaki tropical shorts and white knee socks? 😉 

The history of brogued shoes has nothing to do with your expectations in regard to my footwear.