ACL Flat Rate Domestic Airfare Option

I just got the newest brochure that mentions the airfare option.  I am  not hopeful they will provide relief from  the higher prices.   their pre cruise hotel options are way out of my range.   I live in Houston and they are only listing hobby airport. Its an hour away.   I live 20 minutes from IAH /

Curious about this as well -- what does "flat rate" really mean?  The ACL website doesn't have much detail.  When I click on "more info," they just take me to a search page for all cruises.

I did a dummy booking to see what they would say about airfare.  I picked a Cape Codder cruise next summer (Boston).  Using a Charlotte NC address, the booking interface quoted me $475pp RT for airfare.  (A comparison on American Airlines showed $321 to $456.)

Then I changed the dummy booking to Dallas TX address and tried again.  They still quoted me $475, no change.  (A comparison on American Airlines showed $468 to $678.)

Just FYI, a pop-up said:

"American Cruise Lines Air Travel Service

With our Air Travel Service, American Cruise Lines can make your next cruise even easier. Purchase round-trip air travel directly from American for the most convenient travel experience possible.

After you add Air Travel to your cruise itinerary, one of our Travel experts will contact you approximately 90 days prior to your departure to confirm your Air itinerary. Our Air Travel Service provides you with:

• One flat rate price for your air travel
  • Convenient arrival and departure times
  • Economy-class seats with upgrade options at an additional cost (if available)

Air Travel is subject to American Cruise Lines’ Passenger Cancellation Terms."

Then I changed the dummy booking 

xxx

Well, I decided to take the plunge and booked the ACL Flat Rate Domestic Airfare Option on my Ohio River cruise. I filled out the online Travel Request form which asked some basic information including my preferred airport and preferred seating, i.e. aisle, etc.The same day (likely because I recently booked my cruise and it is just 2 months away) I received an email from an ACL Travel Coordinator with a tentative reservation and a flat rate quote of $495 for Economy, Main Cabin. I was requested to respond to whether I wanted to proceed and confirm the reservation within 24 hours. The reservation was on Delta. 

I checked the Delta website for comparison pricing from my Florida airport (RSW) to St. Louis and then return to Florida from Pittsburgh and it was just about the same as the flat rate quoted. I did ‘tweak’ a couple of the legs as I wanted an earlier departure time going to St. Louis and coming home wanted more time between my flights in Atlanta (I transit through Atlanta frequently and 40 mins. between flights cut it too close for me). I responded with my requested changes and then received another tentative reservation which I approved. I then received a confirmed reservation with aisle seats as I had requested.

It was all very easy and completed through email with an ACL Travel Coordinator. I had my confirmed reservation on my flights within 24 hours of the first email I received.

YMMV depending on your own variables and pricing is fluid. My experience with the reservation process was excellent and they accommodated my requested changes. 

A “Flat Rate” to me would mean that the rate of $495 applies to everyone from all domestic airports. I don’t know if that is ACL’s definition.  A rep from ACL when I booked my cruise told me

they only utilized three airlines, American, Delta and one other airline I can’t remember - I think it was United, but I’m not sure.