Would like information for Baltic cruise from Stockholm to Copenhagen w/Riga, Helsinki, Tallinn, Visby, Ronne, Aarhaus

We are sailing on the Voyager of the Seas to the Baltic on July 31, 2022, from Stockholm to Copenhagen.  Like most cruisers we have had this cruise cancelled and/or lifted and shifted twice.  [Amsterdam RT 12 nts, Stockholm to Copenhagen 11nts, Stockholm to Copenhagen 10nts] You can see we lost a night each time that happened.  Of course, this spring we lost St Petersburg.  Visiting St Petersburg was originally why we booked this cruise.  However, we decided to stay with this cruise. 

On a couple of our previous transatlantic cruises, I started a thread to help organize/plan our visit and excursions. It really helped DH and I make the most of our visits.  [and several other cruisers asked questions] Then as now I have already done lots of research—just enough to know that I need some expert help. So, thank you in advance. 

If you are planning a similar cruise do not hesitate to add your questions here.  As I gain information, I will add that here, too. 

******* Please -Please-No political discussions or discussions on the merits of masks, vax or testing--TIA

A little bit about us—DH and I are veteran cruisers.  We sometimes take ship’s tours, but usually we DIY or take independent tours. All these ports are new to us. We are interested in history and enjoying nature.  We are not getting any younger and we do not have the stamina for touring on hilly terrain that we had 3.5 yrs ago when we booked the original cruise.  If we want to see the Baltic it may be now or never.

We are interested in how to get from one place to another without a lot of walking.   Has anyone taken a great independent tour in one of these ports? We have taken HOHO buses in the past and several of these ports have those.  However, sometimes they are a good way to tour and other places they are not. We could use some recommendations. 

This is our itinerary after St Petersburg was removed:

297441617_newitinerary.thumb.png.c097cb8f5464d0a9a96955d4c513ad5d.png

We arrive in Stockholm on Thursday July 28. [we hope] I can’t tell you exactly when at this point.  We booked our flights using the Royal Caribbean Air2Sea with United Airlines.  It seems United has cancelled our inbound flight which was to arrive at 7:35 am.  I have been in contact with Air2Sea and we have asked for the flight that arrives just after noon—but, no word back yet.

We are looking forward to the overnight stay in Riga.  I still need to do more research on Riga.

Hotel and Transportation in Stockholm:

We have booked the Stockholm Hilton at Slussen for 3nts before we embark.  We picked this hotel because it is very near Gamla Stan, a short walk [9 min] to the Slussen ferry dock which takes us to Djurgarden, [commuter ferries 80, 83 and 89], a t-bana location [7 min] and we had Hilton points. 

We have a couple of questions: 

1.      I have read several reviews that talk about the major construction project at Slussen.  Can you still get to the T-bana and ferry easily?  Any other tips or things we should know about the location?

2.     The fastest way to get from the airport to the city is with the Arlanda Express.  298 SEK for 2 seniors. [not included in SL ticket] How hard is it to transfer to the T-bana to Slussen at the Central Station?  A regional train takes twice as long, but is it more scenic?  Any suggestions.  Taxi from airport to hotel is expensive.

3.     We are planning on purchasing a SL card for transportation.  [~$3 for card] Since we arrive on Thursday and leave Stockholm on Monday we think the 7-day fare is best.  It is only ~$8 USD more than 72 hours and gives us flexibility. We are seniors and get discounted rate.

I found this on the website: [Visitor tickets | SL]

• 24 hours: SEK 165 (adult fare); SEK 110 (discounted fare)
  • 72 hours: SEK 330 (adult fare); SEK 220 (discounted fare)
  • 7 days: SEK 430 (adult fare); SEK 290 (discounted fare)

All travelcards are valid for travel on the Djurgården ferries between Slussen and Djurgården.  I have looked at the map and can see where the ferry docks on Djurgarden.  I can see the dock is very close to the Abba Museum and Google Maps says it is a 10 minute walk to the Vasa Museum.  We can handle that.  But, does someone agree that is an accurate estimate? 

4.     When I looked at the various ferry routes on the Google map it seems we can get from the Slussen ferry dock to the dock where Voyager of the Seas will embark. [and they are beside one another]  However, I don’t seem to find this on the SL site.  We are not averse to taking a taxi, but thought the ferry ride would be a nice “excursion.”  Any thoughts?

I am sure we will have other transportation questions, but that is it for now.

• Thanks 1

One thing I was stressing over was finding a place to get Covid tests in Stockholm. 

We took a cruise 2 months ago and are familiar with the Royal Caribbean requirement to test 2 days prior to embarkation.  Since we will leave the US on Wednesday night and do not board until Sunday any testing in the US will not fulfill the requirement. One member of our roll call found a pharmacy that has 3 locations in Stockholm that do testing. [thank you adam7392]  

I am sure there are others.  However, this pharmacy is in Gamla Stan very near the T-bana stop and we were able to make a reservation for 10am on Friday. Results come back in an hour.

The address is: Västerlånggatan 36A, 111 29 Stockholm 

Website is: PCR-test och antigentest för Covid-19 med reseintyg | Testmottagningen

Cost: Antigen test 295 SEK

We plan to spend Friday touring Gamla Stan anyway. This testing site is convenient to us.

We may visit one or two places in Gamla Stan on Thursday after we arrive in Stockholm.  However, that timing is still uncertain.

We will visit the Djurgarden museums on Saturday. [Vasa Museum, Maritime ships in front of the Vasa, Viking Museum and maybe Abba Museum] That may be too many to see in one day.  But they are within walking distance of each other and the ferry dock.

When I work out a better schedule, I will post it and ask if it is realistic.

While I am still on the topic of Sweden I will post about our port stop in Visby Sweden on August 7.It is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Visby dates to the 12th century.  It includes the ruins of several historic churches and a large intact medieval ring wall. The city is famous for its cobblestones streets and flowers, especially roses. Our plan is do a DIY tour and stop and smell the roses. Sorry, I know it is a terrible pun, but I could not help myself.

After doing some research I discovered our port day is the first day of the annual Medieval week [August 7-14, 2022].  This year the theme is fantasy. 

Here is a website with information

https://medeltidsveckan.se/

Our questions are:

1.        Have you ever attended the Medieval week?  What was it like?  Were the tourist attractions open during the festival? A member of our roll call had a tour booked with the ship. It was recently cancelled.

2.       Besides the things I mentioned above what should we try to see?

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

One thing I was stressing over was finding a place to get Covid tests in Stockholm. 

I found one place with 3 locations in the Stockholm area, and one of them is about 2 blocks away from the hotel we’re staying in the night before we sail!  Seems like a good option! https://www.covidtestet.com/english/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc4uVDAQ4UXh5WLRM2dPetXwbJBIKz9u6wl49NYZ6gwMR3skomixXVsaAtD6EALw_wcB#home

There is a different clinic conveniently located near the Central Train Station (where the Arlanda airport express train boards.)  This might also be a good option for anyone flying out the same day as debarkation. 
https://vaccina.se/en/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc4n_BEsiSUYGdwQWoSlwLdEFp7WAi1FCJTddsFXlRgsLE1L_xJd_AcaAnaLEALw_wcB

Also, there is a testing clinic at Arlanda Airport itself: https://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/service/testcenter-for-pcr--och-antigentester/

43 minutes ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

I found one place with 3 locations in the Stockholm area, and one of them is about 2 blocks away from the hotel we’re staying in the night before we sail!  Seems like a good option! https://www.covidtestet.com/english/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc4uVDAQ4UXh5WLRM2dPetXwbJBIKz9u6wl49NYZ6gwMR3skomixXVsaAtD6EALw_wcB#home

There is a different clinic conveniently located near the Central Train Station (where the Arlanda airport express train boards.)  This might also be a good option for anyone flying out the same day as debarkation. 
https://vaccina.se/en/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc4n_BEsiSUYGdwQWoSlwLdEFp7WAi1FCJTddsFXlRgsLE1L_xJd_AcaAnaLEALw_wcB

Also, there is a testing clinic at Arlanda Airport itself: https://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/service/testcenter-for-pcr--och-antigentester/

Thank you for sharing these test sites.  While the Gamla Stan site is convenient for me, it will not be for everyone.

10 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Hotel and Transportation in Stockholm:

We have booked the Stockholm Hilton at Slussen for 3nts before we embark.  We picked this hotel because it is very near Gamla Stan, a short walk [9 min] to the Slussen ferry dock which takes us to Djurgarden, [commuter ferries 80, 83 and 89], a t-bana location [7 min] and we had Hilton points. 

We have a couple of questions: 

1.      I have read several reviews that talk about the major construction project at Slussen.  Can you still get to the T-bana and ferry easily?  Any other tips or things we should know about the location?

2.     The fastest way to get from the airport to the city is with the Arlanda Express.  298 SEK for 2 seniors. [not included in SL ticket] How hard is it to transfer to the T-bana to Slussen at the Central Station?  A regional train takes twice as long, but is it more scenic?  Any suggestions.  Taxi from airport to hotel is expensive.

3.     We are planning on purchasing a SL card for transportation.  [~$3 for card] Since we arrive on Thursday and leave Stockholm on Monday we think the 7-day fare is best.  It is only ~$8 USD more than 72 hours and gives us flexibility. We are seniors and get discounted rate.

I found this on the website: [Visitor tickets | SL]

• 24 hours: SEK 165 (adult fare); SEK 110 (discounted fare)
  • 72 hours: SEK 330 (adult fare); SEK 220 (discounted fare)
  • 7 days: SEK 430 (adult fare); SEK 290 (discounted fare)

All travelcards are valid for travel on the Djurgården ferries between Slussen and Djurgården.  I have looked at the map and can see where the ferry docks on Djurgarden.  I can see the dock is very close to the Abba Museum and Google Maps says it is a 10 minute walk to the Vasa Museum.  We can handle that.  But, does someone agree that is an accurate estimate? 

4.     When I looked at the various ferry routes on the Google map it seems we can get from the Slussen ferry dock to the dock where Voyager of the Seas will embark. [and they are beside one another]  However, I don’t seem to find this on the SL site.  We are not averse to taking a taxi, but thought the ferry ride would be a nice “excursion.”  Any thoughts?

I am sure we will have other transportation questions, but that is it for now.

1. It should be alright, check this map.Your hotel is located at Guldgränd.
When going to the ferries you be observant of signs pointing you in the right direction.
https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/Södermalmstorg_term.pdf

2. It's fairly easy. The subway platform you should use (southbound red and green line towards Ropsten, Mörby centrum, Farsta strand, Skärpnäck and Hagsätra),  is 3 levels down (see map below).
Arlanda Express will be fine. Regional trains are more scenic if you are fond of train tunnels very far down below surface level. Arlanda Express will arrive at Vasagatan in this map-
https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/city_stn.pdf

3. Agree.

4. Only Djurgårdsfärjan (#82) stops at Slussen. The ferry to Frihmanen (if that is where your ship docks) departs from Nybroviken.

Edited by Desdichado62

9 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

The ferry to Frihmanen (if that is where your ship docks) departs from Nybroviken.

Thank you so much for your reply. The map of the Hotel and Slussen station area is a big help.  I seems we have a wealth of bus tops across the street from the hotel.  I think I need to explore these bus routes more to see if they are more convenient than the t-bana for some of the sites we want to see. 

You have helped me finalize some decisions. [7-day SL card, Arlanda Express to Central station and T-bana to Slussen] 

I have read that bus 76 goes to Frihammen.  Do you think this would be a better option to get to the port than the several steps it would take to get to the ferry at Nybroviken?

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Thank you so much for your reply. The map of the Hotel and Slussen station area is a big help.  I seems we have a wealth of bus tops across the street from the hotel.  I think I need to explore these bus routes more to see if they are more convenient than the t-bana for some of the sites we want to see. 

You have helped me finalize some decisions. [7-day SL card, Arlanda Express to Central station and T-bana to Slussen] 

I have read that bus 76 goes to Frihammen.  Do you think this would be a better option to get to the port than the several steps it would take to get to the ferry at Nybroviken?

It does. You could also use bus 76 to get to Nybroplan (where the ferry departs from) as you will be able to use the same ticket for both trips.

A comment regarding your question about Covid-testing. In Sweden only people working in health care are recommended to get tested if they have symptoms  that could be Covid-19.. For the general public no testing is generally needed so there are no guarantees that you will be able to find somewhere to get tested/acquire test kits.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

It does. You could also use bus 76 to get to Nybroplan (where the ferry departs from) as you will be able to use the same ticket for both trips.

Thank you for letting me know.  I would prefer to use the ferry for the scenic trip and because the ferry dock is beside the cruise terminal.

46 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

A comment regarding your question about Covid-testing. In Sweden only people working in health care are recommended to get tested if they have symptoms that could be Covid-19. For the general public no testing is generally needed so there are no guarantees that you will be able to find somewhere to get tested/acquire test kits.

I reserved a time for an antigen test with travel certificate for Friday at 10am at a pharmacy in Gamla Stan.

https://www.testmottagningen.se/en/

I have an email confirmation.  So, I am hoping they do not cancel.  I have the address of a couple of other places that do testing.  Also, we could always go back to ARN.  Since I do not board until Sunday, I have some flexibility. . . but I will keep your caution in mind.

3 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I reserved a time for an antigen test with travel certificate for Friday at 10am at a pharmacy in Gamla Stan.

I made reservations for my family at the same Gamla Stan location for Saturday at 10:15 am.  The other place I suggested charged 395 SEK (an extra 10 SEK) for weekends.  Testmottagningen charges 295 SEK regardless of the day.  With 4 people, this is about $40 savings.

• Like 1

I would like to add another country to the mix. 

Helsinki, Finland:

The cruise dock is not near the city center or close to the attractions we would want to see. I have read there is a shuttle into town. 

So, we were thinking of just taking a ship’s tour in Helsinki for ease.  It was listed as visiting three places:

·    *Mannerheim Street: Helsinki’s main street, home to historic government buildings, National Museum, Finlandia Hall and contemporary art museum, Kiasma.

·   * Sibelius Monument: Marvel at this amazing tribute honoring great Finnish composer Jean Sibelius, constructed using over 600 welded pipes.

·    *Temppeliaukio Rock Church: Experience the magnificence of this unique house of worship blasted into solid rock.

The tours will leave you in the city center if you have a morning tour and wish to stay. The cost of the shuttle to return to the ship is included in the price.

However, my research shows that Rock Church is closed on Sat/Sun. [we dock on Saturday] So, if we do not stop there this tour sounds like more of a bus tour with a few picture stops. I think that church is the only place we go in.

I am looking at TJ travel’s tours, also.  We had booked with them for our St Petersburg tour. But their tour sounds like the ship’s tour. It includes a few more drive-by visits, however, the Rock Church was a highlight of the tour and we already know that is not available the day we dock.

Should we just take the shuttle to the city center and DIY?  Helsinki is one place I have looked at the HOHO bus.  But, the stops still look like they are a good distance from the sites. 

Does anyone have any information or suggestions?  Thank you in Advance for your help.  😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I would like to add another country to the mix. 

Helsinki, Finland:

The cruise dock is not near the city center or close to the attractions we would want to see. I have read there is a shuttle into town. 

So, we were thinking of just taking a ship’s tour in Helsinki for ease.  It was listed as visiting three places:

·    *Mannerheim Street: Helsinki’s main street, home to historic government buildings, National Museum, Finlandia Hall and contemporary art museum, Kiasma.

·   * Sibelius Monument: Marvel at this amazing tribute honoring great Finnish composer Jean Sibelius, constructed using over 600 welded pipes.

·    *Temppeliaukio Rock Church: Experience the magnificence of this unique house of worship blasted into solid rock.

The tours will leave you in the city center if you have a morning tour and wish to stay. The cost of the shuttle to return to the ship is included in the price.

However, my research shows that Rock Church is closed on Sat/Sun. [we dock on Saturday] So, if we do not stop there this tour sounds like more of a bus tour with a few picture stops. I think that church is the only place we go in.

I am looking at TJ travel’s tours, also.  We had booked with them for our St Petersburg tour. But their tour sounds like the ship’s tour. It includes a few more drive-by visits, however, the Rock Church was a highlight of the tour and we already know that is not available the day we dock.

Should we just take the shuttle to the city center and DIY?  Helsinki is one place I have looked at the HOHO bus.  But, the stops still look like they are a good distance from the sites. 

Does anyone have any information or suggestions?  Thank you in Advance for your help.  😄

Helsinki easy to do solo 

• Thanks 1

Hello Dragon,

I look forward to meeting you on our journey.  Here is what I have found. Please correct me if you believe that I am mistaken.

<< The fastest way to get from the airport to the city is with the Arlanda Express.  298 SEK for 2 seniors.>>

I see Arlanda Express fares as follows:

Adult: 299 SEK

Two persons traveling together: 399 SEK

Senior citizen fare: 249 SEK

I have not found a fare for two seniors traveling together for 298 SEK.  The fare for two persons traveling together, adults or seniors, is 399 SEK.

While the Arlanda Express is the fastest way to travel, it is not the most economical. 

The Flygbussarna bus shows a fare of 119 SEK for one adult, 299 SEK for 3 adults and 399 SEK for 4 adults. I am not finding a senior citizen fare. There is also Flix Bus whose web site charges in Euros (not in SEK).  A one way fare on Flix Bus appears to be approximately $7.50 US.

The most frugal method is to take the 583 or 579 bus from your arrival terminal to Märsta Rail Station, followed by the commuter rail (pendeltåg) 42X or 41 train to Central Stockholm. Both the bus and train are included in the SL card, so if, upon arrival at the airport, you plan to purchase a 24 hour card (or a 72 hour or 7 day card), then there is, effectively, no extra cost for your journey from the airport.

Single journey tickets (39 SEK adult or 26 SEK senior) may not be used for journeys that commence 75 minutes after first usage.  If you are continuing your journey on public transit beyond Central Stockholm at any time that day, you will need an additional single journey ticket.  If you plan to make 5 or more journeys within a 24 hour period, then a 24 hour card would be appropriate.

• Like 1

Visby: 

After doing some research I discovered our port day is the first day of the annual Medieval week [August 7-14, 2022].  This year the theme is fantasy. 

This is the information that I have gathered:

WHERE: Visby, Sweden

WHEN: from 07 to 14 August 2022

Not just a festival, but a monumental historical re-enactment that will entertain its visitors over the course of a week. Events. Shows. Exhibitions. Medieval tournaments. Gastronomy. And, in the background, the beautiful medieval city of Visby, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

This awaits you at the Gotland medieval, known by the Swedish name of Medeltidsveckan, one of the most anticipated events on the Baltic Sea island. During this period, many visitors from Sweden come to this beautiful island to participate in the event.

An event that recalls the battle of Visby in 1361, and which, at the same time, shows scenarios and stories of the past, making the past perfectly relive.

A real paradise for all those who love street theater, storytelling, fairytale scenarios, fire eaters and, even, medieval rides and instruments reconstructed in full rule.

You can have fun and laugh in the company of minstrels. Get excited about watching a real medieval tournament. Relax by taking beautiful walks among the ancient walls and medieval Towers of Visby. Without forgetting the markets and festivals of typical products, and dishes of the historical tradition, perfectly reworked in our time.

Gotland Island is a truly magical and wonderful place. A land with incredible testimonies of the past. In this period you can admire it in its maximum splendor.

PRACTICAL INFO

THE PLACES OF THE EVENT

Gotland medieval week takes place all over the island but it is in Visby, on its main center, that the greatest number of events are concentrated. Visby is also the starting point for moving around the island. The airport serving Gotland, in fact, is located just 4 kilometers from Visby, perfectly accessible by car, taxi and bus.

GOTLAND MEDIEVAL WEEK PROGRAM

As per tradition, every year the event revolves around a central theme. This year, the theme will be “Fantasy“. This year, in fact, the organizers of the show want to pay tribute to all lovers of Fantasy, of TV series inspired by the genre, and to Tolkien fanatics. All of this, of course, starting from the historical reenactment of the battle of the fourteenth century.

The event takes place over 8 days, from Saturday 07 to Saturday 14 August. Every day, from around 09:00 to 19:00, there will be shows and entertainment for all ages.

For kids aged 5 to 15, there will be the Swords and Witchcraft Adventure Game. Over 30 games and fights to test the skills of the little ones, with epic sword fights, witch hunts, adventures with dragons…

Every day, generally from 09:00 to 19:00, in the medieval week market, you can find everything: from medieval clothing, to fabrics, wrought iron and other handicrafts. You can eat and great food.

Food, drinks, music, acrobats, knights, horses, theater, fire, archery, new circus, conferences, workshops and shows by experts and enthusiasts, crafts, medieval goods. It is a medieval arena in which to relive medieval myths.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

Hello Dragon,

I look forward to meeting you on our journey.  Here is what I have found. Please correct me if you believe that I am mistaken.

<< The fastest way to get from the airport to the city is with the Arlanda Express.  298 SEK for 2 seniors.>>

I have not found a fare for two seniors traveling together for 298 SEK.  The fare for two persons traveling together, adults or seniors, is 399 SEK

Thank you so much for typing this all out. I am sure there are some passengers that will use this information.  I was being lazy. 😉 We have decided against using the bus options because they take longer.

Here is a screen shot for the Arlanda Express ticket that I got on their web site.  I did not go further and purchase these.  I do not think this is old information. I got this screen shot this morning.

1837445469_Arlandaexpress.thumb.png.119c60e5b370814db124b55b7ecc98c4.png

12 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

WHERE: Visby, SwedeN

The event takes place over 8 days, from Saturday 07 to Saturday 14 August. Every day, from around 09:00 to 19:00, there will be shows and entertainment for all ages.

Every day, generally from 09:00 to 19:00, in the medieval week market, you can find everything: from medieval clothing, to fabrics, wrought iron and other handicrafts. You can eat and great food.

I am really looking forward to this. We have been to some Renaissance festivals here in the United States. But I don’t think they are anything like what we’re going to see here. 

i’m hoping that someone that has visited Visby during this festival will post a reply. I’d like to know what type of shows/events  and things that go on during the day. Or any practical information we could use. I read on TripAdvisor from one person that most of the shows are at night after dark. And of course we won’t be there then. 

The same person said that most people wore costumes. But on some online videos I didn’t see that everyone did that. I don’t want to feel out of place but I also don’t wanna carry a medieval costume on the cruise. And there is no way DH is going to wear a costume. 🤣

Our port  day will be the very first day of the festival. So it may be that some people will just still be setting up. 

We're a couple from Texas, first time on RC and on this same cruise many thanks to @DragonOfTheSeas for starting this thread.

We're planning a day before in Stockholm and three days after in Copenhagen, have our flights/hotels booked .  Been researching ports like mad, be doing a few RC excursions and a few on own could use some help regarding:

I enjoy souvenirs and really excited at the prospect this trip provides in getting some hand crafted items from local artisans/craftspeople. 

Stockholm  - are taxis there good or should we plan to take bus or trains.  (were doing the vasa through RC but want to hit the ABBA museum and see some more specific sights around the city)

Aarhus - specifically getting to the Moesgaard Museum (is this a  bus, train or taxi ride? If bus or metro/train what route? Is it recommended to buy tickets in advance?

Visby- one if the reasons we booked thus cruise.  Has anyone attended medieval week, is there an entrance fee or do we need tickets in advance?  I'll be writing the Gotland tourist center in the next few days and will post what I find out.  

Helsinki - is a trip into old town the way to go,  are there any things to not miss or are we better off booking something?  If we venture on our own how readily is English spoken?   

Thank you in advance

Edited by KittyCruz
Fixing autocorrect

2 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

I enjoy souvenirs and really excited at the prospect this trip provides in getting some hand crafted items from local artisans/craftspeople. 

Visby- one if the reasons we booked thus cruise.  Has anyone attended medieval week, is there an entrance fee or do we need tickets in advance?  I'll be writing the Gotland tourist center in the next few days and will post what I find out.  

I am looking forward to getting some unique souvenirs, too.  When I researched this cruise last year I read about juniper trivets and coasters sold in Tallinn.  I am going to see if I can get a few.  They are useful, are small enough to easily go in the suitcase and smell so nice. . . . and of course, I will get some chocolate. 😁

Thank you for contacting the Gotland tourist bureau.  I look forward to reading the information.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

Helsinki:

<<However, my research shows that Rock Church is closed on Sat/Sun. [we dock on Saturday] >>

Although the hours vary from week to week, it does appear that there may be a time slot to visit on Saturday.

https://www.temppeliaukionkirkko.fi/en/index/nimi.html 

Stuart--You are so right!  Thank you for pointing this out. This is a site I really want to visit.

It seems they recently added weekend hours.  Here is a screen shot with some information.

727268073_RockChurch.thumb.png.cffab67d56a2f2fce7ffd6dbcb81877e.png

3 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

We're a couple from Texas, first time on RC and on this same cruise many thanks to @DragonOfTheSeas for starting this thread.

We're planning a day before in Stockholm and three days after in Copenhagen, have our flights/hotels booked .  Been researching ports like mad, be doing a few RC excursions and a few on own could use some help regarding:

Stockholm  - are taxis there good or should we plan to take bus or trains.  (were doing the vasa through RC but want to hit the ABBA museum and see some more specific sights around the city)

Aarhus - specifically getting to the Moesgaard Museum (is this a  bus, train or taxi ride? If bus or metro/train what route? Is it recommended to buy tickets in advance?

Helsinki - is a trip into old town the way to go,  are there any things to not miss or are we better off booking something?  If we venture on our own how readily is English spoken?   

Thank you in advance

I posted some info in this thread

4 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

There is no true old town in Helsinki, at least in same sense as there is in Stockholm and Tallinn for example. There is city district called Vanhakaupunki (Old Town) on the west side of the mouth of river Vantaa where Helsinki was originally founded in 1550. In its current form, there is barely any signs of history from those early days of Helsinki. The city was later moved further south into the area where there is the current city centre, although for long Helsinki was tiny city and only started to grow in late 18th century and the majority of the buildings in central Helsinki date from 19th century or later.

Since I reside in Helsinki, I have only vague ideas on what sort of tours the cruise companies offer, but if you prefer to wander around by yourself rather than go with a tour group, it is quite viable choice to skip tours. There is quite extensive network of public transportation (see HSL website for more information) and nearly all people understand English, although some random persons stopped on a street might be slightly hesitant with their foreign language skills.

• Like 2