Umbrellas on Great Stirrup Cay

FloridaGram

We were just on another cruise line last week and sailed past GSC. I liked the look of the island and am considering booking NCL just to go there. That said I saw no umbrellas whereas the other cruise line had them lining the shore and they were free.

I am assuming they are available for rent. Please post the cost in 2022 if you know. Also do they come set them up or are you on your own to do that?  Is there room to add an umbrella because the chairs looked very close together. But the island looked beautiful and perhaps more peaceful than the neighboring island!

1 hour ago, KarlChilders said:

we have rented a clamshell on both of our visits to the island.  Maybe $30 if memory serves.

I believe they offer two types of Clamshells, vented and non-vented ?.....I'd go for vented if offered.

30 minutes ago, jstewartgt said:

I double checked my invoice from March.  $25 for each Umbrella.  I think someone mentioned the clamshells were around $40, but I can't recall for sure.

image.png.d2eddb4a3b0e57cec914cecee2db2174.png

Thank you! Do they set them up or do you?  

2 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

The main beach with the umbrellas is hard to see from a ship. Definitely a beach full of beds and umbrellas and they are all complimentary except for Cabanas which come with a cost. 

We sailed past the island and it seemed like a lot of chairs were set up. I was able to see the lighthouse which said Great Stirrup Cay. It seemed like the main beach. I know the island would have another side, is that where the main beach was? I just want that crystal clear, beautiful blue water! Is that available on the other side of the beach?

On RCCL island it was not, the other side was green and had a lot of seaweed. Two totally different experiences

2 hours ago, FloridaGram said:

We were just on another cruise line last week and sailed past GSC. I liked the look of the island and am considering booking NCL just to go there. That said I saw no umbrellas whereas the other cruise line had them lining the shore and they were free.

I am assuming they are available for rent. Please post the cost in 2022 if you know. Also do they come set them up or are you on your own to do that?  Is there room to add an umbrella because the chairs looked very close together. But the island looked beautiful and perhaps more peaceful than the neighboring island!

I really enjoy stopping at GSC. I like to get a clamshell because it is quieter where they are located. They are near the Abaco Taco stand which has complimentary tacos. I enjoy the tacos more than the main buffet. My husband likes the buffet better, so we ended up doing both last time we were there. If you have the drink package it works on the island. If you get a clamshell, the workers go with you while you pick one out and set it up for you. I am sure that if you get an umbrella they would also set that up for you. 

In the main beach area there are some shady spots here and there for loungers, but I do not know how fast they get taken up. This area is closer to the main buffet. There are plenty of tables and chairs in the shade. 

Keep in mind that you have to take the tender to get to the island. We made it there all three times we had GSC on our itinerary. .Some times the water is too choppy to tender over, even when it looks like a nice day. So sometimes the stop is skipped.

Pre-Covid, clamshell & other similar rentals were all covered by shorex credit ($50 per stateroom associated with guest #1) #cough #cough - not anymore.  Clam shells (vented one are best for air flow) are no longer offset by the $50 shorex credit, signed for & charged to onboard account this April on the Getaway (thankfully, we had a bit of NR OBC to use against)  Pick a location & the shore crew will set it up for you, same for the umbrella (although you will need to move & adjust to stay in the shade with the sun overhead)  

Clamshell fits 2 with better UV/direct shades and along with high SPF+ suntan lotion are a must ... bring large bottle of chilled/iced water for hydration. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FloridaGram said:

We sailed past the island and it seemed like a lot of chairs were set up. I was able to see the lighthouse which said Great Stirrup Cay. It seemed like the main beach. I know the island would have another side, is that where the main beach was? I just want that crystal clear, beautiful blue water! Is that available on the other side of the beach?

On RCCL island it was not, the other side was green and had a lot of seaweed. Two totally different experiences

The water at GSC is very clear at the beginning of the day, so try to go over as soon as possible. Make sure you get a tender ticket as soon as they are available. If you book an NCL excursion or are in the Haven you get priority.

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Pre-Covid, clamshell & other similar rentals were all covered by shorex credit ($50 per stateroom associated with guest #1) #cough #cough - not anymore.  Clam shells (vented one are best for air flow) are no longer offset by the $50 shorex credit, signed for & charged to onboard account this April on the Getaway (thankfully, we had a bit of NR OBC to use against)  Pick a location & the shore crew will set it up for you, same for the umbrella (although you will need to move & adjust to stay in the shade with the sun overhead)  

Clamshell fits 2 with better UV/direct shades and along with high SPF+ suntan lotion are a must ... bring large bottle of chilled/iced water for hydration. 

I have found clamshells to be too hot. Are the vented ones better? How ever husband needs the sun so that is why I would not get a clamshell.

27 minutes ago, FloridaGram said:

Thank you! Do they set them up or do you?  

In our case there was only about 10 down near the water already set up, so we ran down there to grab them thinking they were just first come first serve.  Someone quickly approached and asked us for room information for the charge.  This was on the second smaller beach where we had probably no more than 30 people on the entire beach.  I can't say for sue as they didn't really set up any more, but I don't know if that's just because no one asked or something else.  You can see from this pic there is a huge section with no umbrellas when we were there.  I think it would be wise to book them before you get off the boat

image.thumb.png.cbd51ab112205b611b6faf36c7965838.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Pre-Covid, clamshell & other similar rentals were all covered by shorex credit ($50 per stateroom associated with guest #1) #cough #cough - not anymore.  Clam shells (vented one are best for air flow) are no longer offset by the $50 shorex credit, signed for & charged to onboard account this April on the Getaway (thankfully, we had a bit of NR OBC to use against) 

Wow - so you are saying the clamshells are no longer considered an excursion, so, the $50 can't be used to pay for them?   Congratulations NCL, you found another way to nickle and dime us.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Wow - so you are saying the clamshells are no longer considered an excursion, so, the $50 can't be used to pay for them?   Congratulations NCL, you found another way to nickle and dime us.

I booked a clamshell back in 2018 and shore excursion credit couldn't be used for that but you do get priority tendering.  : )

1 hour ago, Burrata said:

I booked a clamshell back in 2018 and shore excursion credit couldn't be used for that but you do get priority tendering.  : )

Nov 2017 was last time we were there and I thought I remember that we were able to use the Shire Excursion credit.

7 hours ago, jstewartgt said:

I double checked my invoice from March.  $25 for each Umbrella.  I think someone mentioned the clamshells were around $40, but I can't recall for sure.

image.png.d2eddb4a3b0e57cec914cecee2db2174.png

@PATRLR   We're there in 2017 & 2018 - yes, those good old pre-Covid days, it was permitted. Times are changing 🙄🙄🙄

It went up to $45 on our "Getaway" at GSC and not covered by the $50 shorex credits

NCL Getaway - Final Invoice April 2022.jpg

Edited by mking8288

I have not been to GSC on NCL, but we have been to other cruise line islands. We travel with a Nesto beach tent (https://www.neso.com/collections/tents) that we put up ourselves. We grab a couple of lounge chairs and pull them under. 

It all folds into a bag 19" long, and better than any supplied umbrella in terms of sun coverage for two people. We have the mid-size which is about right. We do go to less crowed areas as it does take up some beach space - not an  entirely bad thing. 

On 6/1/2022 at 9:39 AM, RGEDad said:

I have not been to GSC on NCL, but we have been to other cruise line islands. We travel with a Nesto beach tent (https://www.neso.com/collections/tents) that we put up ourselves. We grab a couple of lounge chairs and pull them under. 

It all folds into a bag 19" long, and better than any supplied umbrella in terms of sun coverage for two people. We have the mid-size which is about right. We do go to less crowed areas as it does take up some beach space - not an  entirely bad thing. 

Great idea!  We use one at the beach(different brand but same concept), but it's an XL.  Packs up pretty small and I love it for the beach.  So much better than putting up a tailgate tent every day.  Never considered taking it on a cruise

On 5/31/2022 at 6:30 PM, mking8288 said:

@PATRLR   We're there in 2017 & 2018 - yes, those good old pre-Covid days, it was permitted. Times are changing 🙄🙄🙄

It went up to $45 on our "Getaway" at GSC and not covered by the $50 shorex credits

NCL Getaway - Final Invoice April 2022.jpg

Not covering it under shorex credit really annoyed me.  I didn't find out until after I got back on the ship because I forgot to get it before I left.  That was not a welcome a change.

• Like 1