Security of personal devices around the ship?

zitsky

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

You people want me to take paper to the pool?  What do you get when you mix paper and water?

I don't know.

What do you get when you mix a elephant and a rhinoceros?

Son in law put his camera down on Royal C at a game event...

It was gone in an instant along with many photos never uploaded..lesson learned!

Never recovered.

Worst part was that security came to search their stateroom, implying they were lying...very insulting esp to people who have a "real badge".  Leaves a bad taste..

We NEVER leave anything we do not have eyes on or cannot afford to lose.  A spa locker can be helpful.,

Stealing a phone or tablet, at least an Apple one, is virtually useless given how quickly they can be bricked by the owner.  I have no problem leaving my phone or Kindle on my lounger while in the pool or stepping to the restroom. It's under towels or in a bag so someone would have to root for it, but I've never had any problems. Even if I don't have internet, I can't imagine not being without my phone for the ship app, games, reading, etc.

I also have a traditional paper-white Kindle I use when reading outside because it's not affected by the glare. If it gets stolen, I don't care. It's $100 and I've got my books on other devices, too. But it's not going to get stolen. It's basically worthless unless someone is desperate to read. I'll give it up for a reader if they need it that bad!

I'll leave money, cards, passport in the safe, but electronic gear I just store under clothing. The only person who is going to steal from the stateroom is the attendant and I find that high unlikely.

My life experience has taught me people are good. I lost my wallet in a Paris park. A person found it, tracked me down on Facebook through my ID name and messaged me they had it. We met in a cafe, and I got everything back, down to the last euro. Wouldn't even take a reward. Alas, I had already canceled my cards!

I left my iPhone in a men's room stall in a museum. Realized it five minutes later. Went back. Somebody was just coming out with it and handing it to security. Quickly returned to me.

I don't tempt fate, but I do have a comfort level of trust while taking enough precautions to not be drastically harmed should I become the victim.

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Son in law put his camera down on Royal C at a game event...

It was gone in an instant along with many photos never uploaded..lesson learned!

Never recovered.

Worst part was that security came to search their stateroom, implying they were lying...very insulting esp to people who have a "real badge".  Leaves a bad taste..

We NEVER leave anything we do not have eyes on or cannot afford to lose.  A spa locker can be helpful.,

I worked at a few hotels during and right after college (30 years ago) and there were many times that items that were "lost" were found in the hotel room.  Every place I worked did a room search when someone alleged theft.  Some people were running scams but most had just misplaced the item somewhere they didn't look.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, zitsky said:

I'm sure a lot of people leave phones in the cabin safe.  But if you want to hang out at the pool or in a lounge, do you have to constantly worry about someone stealing your ebook reader or something else?  I would like to sit by the pool reading a tablet but I don't want my partner to have to sit there watching it while I go in the pool.  I'd like him to enjoy the pool too!

If you use reasonable caution, keep it out of plain view, and are not playing the chair hog, it should not be a problem.  Remember that the eye in the sky sees everything on the public areas and will easily identify any scoundrels.