Pregnant and Cruising

karabear15

Hi all,

Husband and I just found out that I am pregnant. We are already booked and paid in full on our European cruise. I should be 15 weeks (haven't had my first dr appt yet, so this is best guess) when we fly out to Rome. 

I've searched for other topics on being pregnant while cruising, but most topics are from 2020 and earlier, so just looking for some current information/advice. Our cruise is itinerary heavy and we have an excursion for each port. Knowing that it will be the dead of summer and quite warm, I'm trying to prepare myself with what I need to bring to make sure that I stay comfortable.

I've been looking forward to this trip, and now even more so because we will use it as a means of announcing it to friends/family. 

Any and all positive information and/or advice is welcome! 

Get a note from your dr stating your due date, and the fact that it is a healthy pregnancy and you are medically cleared to sail.

I needed to eat small meals frequently when I was pregnant, so take food off the ship (sealed containers best.  Fruit prohibited, yogurt in sealed containers or if they still have cereal boxes that's helpful).  

I was pregnant with my first two children on cruises (Alaska with my first, Baltics with my second) and it was quite lovely.  tiring, but lovely.  I loved always having easy access to food when I was pregnant.  Oh, and bear in mind you can't have cold cuts unless they are heated to steaming (which most places don't understand and can't accommodate)  so you might need to purchase food ahead of time for the plane.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Get a note from your dr stating your due date, and the fact that it is a healthy pregnancy and you are medically cleared to sail.

I needed to eat small meals frequently when I was pregnant, so take food off the ship (sealed containers best.  Fruit prohibited, yogurt in sealed containers or if they still have cereal boxes that's helpful).  

I was pregnant with my first two children on cruises (Alaska with my first, Baltics with my second) and it was quite lovely.  tiring, but lovely.  I loved always having easy access to food when I was pregnant.  Oh, and bear in mind you can't have cold cuts unless they are heated to steaming (which most places don't understand and can't accommodate)  so you might need to purchase food ahead of time for the plane.  

Good to know about the plane. Didn’t even think about that. I believe we get to choose our meals, so hopefully no cold cuts are on our dinner or breakfast menus. 

Make sure your insurance will cover you is the biggest thing. At 15 weeks you should hopefully be over the worst of thr first trimester but you might still be tired. So make sure you factor in some rest time and maybe cancel excursions that are very intense (and any that involve alcohol). 

And avoid any rice etc on a buffet

Other than that have a fun time

Edited by ellsbells3032
  • Like 2

Oh, that reminds me - I was pregnant with my first on a cruise tour in denali.  You spend 4 hours on a converted school bus, with no hot food available, only prepackaged food you bring with you.  I got really nauseous and was trying not to throw up as I was staring out the window, when I saw a mommy bear with her two baby cubs.  It was early June, just the start of the tour season and it turned out the babies had not been doing very well the previous fall, which was the last time they were seen.  They stopped our bus and the rangers were all excited that the mommy and babies were doing well because they weren't sure they had survived the winter.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1