Internet question

If I purchase a single internet connection, do you have to specify which device is going to be used, or can you vary devices as long as it's only 1 device at a time that's using the internet?  Further question for those who have done this:  The streaming package says that you can stream shows.  Does anyone know what the general speed of this type of internet on the ship comes in as (i.e. 10 mbps, 15 mbps, etc)?

2 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

If I purchase a single internet connection, do you have to specify which device is going to be used, or can you vary devices as long as it's only 1 device at a time that's using the internet?  Further question for those who have done this:  The streaming package says that you can stream shows.  Does anyone know what the general speed of this type of internet on the ship comes in as (i.e. 10 mbps, 15 mbps, etc)?

You basically get one log-in that you can use for multiple devices (so you can use as many devices really as you want, just only one can be logged-in at a time).

I've seen that the surf and stream is usually between 3-5 mbps, and YMMV on that.

4 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

Does anyone know what the general speed of this type of internet on the ship comes in as (i.e. 10 mbps, 15 mbps, etc)?

Surf is limited to .5Mbps and Stream to 4Mbps. Any device can be used, just limited to the device package purchased.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

(i.e. 10 mbps, 15 mbps, etc)?

😲🤣🤣🤣🤣  One can only wish.

I've recently been on 2 cruises. Both with the Voom package.

One cruise, 1 time I measured my download speed at 1.5Mbps. The rest of the time I measured 0.03Mbps (30 kilobps).

The second cruise, connectivity was sparce at best, no connectivity the last day at sea and when there was connectivity, I measured it at 0.06Mbps (60kilobps) download speed.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

😲🤣🤣🤣🤣  One can only wish.

I've recently been on 2 cruises. Both with the Voom package.

One cruise, 1 time I measured my download speed at 1.5Mbps. The rest of the time I measured 0.03Mbps (30 kilobps).

The second cruise, connectivity was sparce at best, no connectivity the last day at sea and when there was connectivity, I measured it at 0.06Mbps (60kilobps) download speed.

Few yrs ago depended what Ship you were for Good Signal. Anyone know if still true, if other's were upgraded and which? Also doesn't location of Ship makes a Difference in line of sight to Satellite? That said Rain kept me offline couple times on my Cruises last Month

We have never seen speeds above 4MBPS with the stream package even on Oasis class ships. Usually it is in the 2-3MBPS range.

We use our iPad to stream videos, streaming services like Netflix, and live TV to the cabin TV set, and except when there are clouds that interrupt the signal, we generally don't have any issues other than momentary screen freezes. YMMV

54 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Current O3B ships are Oasis class, Quantum class, Freedom class, and Enchantment.

Thank You! Wasn't sure if had missed it and other Ships had Changed/Upgraded and didn't want to give out inaccurate info 

2 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

4mbps is NOT streaming speed.

A decent looking video stream only takes about 1-2Mbps. Full 720p HD video takes about 4Mbps. Most mobile devices just don't need much BW to make it look decent - you are not likely to be watching on some huge HD TV. Youtube (at low res and some buffering) even works with Surf (down below .5Mbps).

If you purchased the internet package for 1 device, how do you log on once on the ship? Or do you need to see one people at one of the kiosks for internet/voom ?  (my husband had to check in at one of the kiosks on Odyssey in March, but he was charging that to a different cc than the one we were using since it was for work).....

Thanks!

Just now, onefishtwofish said:

If you purchased the internet package for 1 device, how do you log on once on the ship?

Connect to the ship's Wi-Fi. The system knows you prepaid, and you can claim the voucher when you first log in.

6 minutes ago, onefishtwofish said:

If you purchased the internet package for 1 device, how do you log on once on the ship? Or do you need to see one people at one of the kiosks for internet/voom ?  (my husband had to check in at one of the kiosks on Odyssey in March, but he was charging that to a different cc than the one we were using since it was for work).....

Thanks!

Just now, onefishtwofish said:

Thank you!! 

You do realize you are using a completely unreadable font in baby blue.

Thanks!

Appreciate the heads up - Better?