Changing to another cruise with a NRD

Looking for folks who have changed their sail date and held an NRD reservation with change fee.

According to Royal, there's a $100 fee to change, per person.

There's also the possibility that you'd pay the difference in cruise fare if the new booking is higher.

The question I have is: If you want to change (not cancel) a reservation, do they just move you to the new sailing without refunding and re-charging your payment methods, or will they refund the payment method and then charge you again?

Reason for asking, we took advantage of several Amex Offers to receive cashback on a cruise in 2023, and now want to change the sail date because flights that week are $850/person r/t! We can move to another date where flights are $450/person r/t and still save $600 per cabin after paying a change fee (two cabins = the $1,200 question I'm asking)

If they treat it as a cancel and refund our Amex, we'll forfeit the cashback offers and won't be able to use them.

My agent for this booking is kind of hard to get a hold of these days so thought I'd ask here before beginning any such process.

TYIA.

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

There's also the possibility that you'd pay the difference in cruise fare if the new booking is higher.

The question I have is: If you want to change (not cancel) a reservation, do they just move you to the new sailing without refunding and re-charging your payment methods, or will they refund the payment method and then charge you again?

It's not a possibility - you'll pay the prevailing rate on the new sailing.

Pre COVID, they just moved the booking and money to the new booking - no refunds. You'll usually need to pay to make up for the $100pp penalty.

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Looking for folks who have changed their sail date and held an NRD reservation with change fee.

According to Royal, there's a $100 fee to change, per person.

Reason for asking, we took advantage of several Amex Offers to receive cashback on a cruise in 2023, and now want to change the sail date because flights that week are $850/person r/t! We can move to another date where flights are $450/person r/t and still save $600 per cabin after paying a change fee (two cabins = the $1,200 question I'm asking)

If they treat it as a cancel and refund our Amex, we'll forfeit the cashback offers and won't be able to use them.

My agent for this booking is kind of hard to get a hold of these days so thought I'd ask here before beginning any such process.

TYIA.

They will just move the funds to the new sailing, not credited and then charge you again...........You will however get new $100 change fee charges per person which will happen the very moment you make the change in sail date or change in ship.

Edited by Jimbo

For starters if you are changing to a new cruise date, there is no reason to cancel and rebook. You will lose $100/pp change fee, but the reservation number will stay the same and any monies paid will be transferred over to the new cruise as long as you request the reservation be moved to a different sail date.

We have done this several times, and they will price the new cruise as of the day you make the switch. If the new cruise costs less they will reduce you balance due. Just did this when they moved Harmony from port canaveral to Fort Lauderdale, and we switched our reservation to Jewel. The Jewel price was lower for the same category of cabin and it was an 8-night cruise. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi. I wanted to kick up the dust on this post as I had another question about NRD and changing sailings.

I have OBC from Royal on our reservations. Will the OBC transfer to the new sailing? Been on hold over an hour trying to talk to a live person, so hoping some of you have changed their sail dates and can tell me that your Royal OBC transferred! 🙂

To be clear, our reservations has OBC from a Next Cruise offer, and OBC from Royal because they chartered my first sailing and I chose this one (that now I want to change).

TYIA