Is travel insurance through Royal enough?

Super excited to have booked our first Royal Caribbean Cruise and we did purchase the insurance through them.  I'm wondering if that is enough?  Is it recommended to get additional insurance through a third party as well?

Our Cruise Agent generally compares the coverage and cost between RCCL and another company.  She then decides which is best for the cost.  She has never recommended having two insurance policies.  A number of years ago I had to cancel a cruise two days before sailing due to a life threatening health problem.  RCCL insurance paid the complete amount in about two weeks.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Breezy1234 said:

Super excited to have booked our first Royal Caribbean Cruise and we did purchase the insurance through them.  I'm wondering if that is enough?  Is it recommended to get additional insurance through a third party as well?

You have to start with knowing what coverage you already had.  Usually that's just medical. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Breezy1234 said:

Open ended question.

What is your knowledge of travel insurance? The pro's? The con's? The limitations?

I remember a few years back, I was so proud of myself for finally adulting and purchasing travel insurance. Now, if I get sick, I just tell someone and they bill the insurance. If I get stuck somewhere, I just call the insurance company and they arrange for a hotel and air transportation.

Thankfully, I never needed any of these services because I was WRONG and uneducated in many ways.

It wasn't until I started reading posts over on the insurance board (Cruise/Travel Insurance - Cruise Critic Community ), that I realized I had a lot to learn.

To your question. For your needs? Maybe. For my needs? Not even close

RCCL insurance is good for a couple of reasons.

1. The price is not age dependent

2. Includes Cancel For Any Reason up until scheduled sailing time.

Bad?

The medical coverage is limited to $25K now ( I believe). $25K is woefully low in a medical emergency situation..

Did you know that travel insurance is a reimbursement type of insurance? IOW You pay for everything out of pocket. Only when you return home do you file for reimbursement for covered expenses.

1 hour ago, Ky Bill said:

A number of years ago I had to cancel a cruise two days before sailing due to a life threatening health problem.  RCCL insurance paid the complete amount in about two weeks.

Bill

I can say something similar:  We had RCCL insurance, and we cancelled a cruise less than a week out.  They paid quickly and effortlessly.  We've decided always to use them.  

Yes to finding out exactly what your insurance covers.  The #1 thing we want is evacuation insurance -- transportation out in case of an emergency.  On the other hand, we drive and carry our own luggage, so we feel a bit ripped off by the luggage insurance.  One of the negatives about RCCL's insurance is that you have it, or you don't.  You can't choose what parts you want.  

Off topic:  We had a prime corner aft balcony cabin for that cancelled cruise.  I've always wondered who got that last-minute upgrade and how happy they must've been.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Although their medical evac coverage is too low, I usually buy it for more local 7 day cruises just based on decent price and ease of purchase. 
Any longer, more involved cruises, I go to Insuremytrip . com and compare/get a more comprehensive coverage policy. 

• Like 1

We used it when I dislocated my kneecap and broke my fibula and needed surgery and my OS said absolutely no to cruising about 6 weeks later.  We got everything back in about three weeks.  My DH's company also provides medical coverage for "overseas" travel including evacuation so we're good with the insurance Royal offers.

Edited by BND

We had insurance through Royal and my brother & nephew were unable to reach the port due to severe storms up & down east coast.  No flights at any airport within a 3 hour drive for 2 solid days.  This was NOT covered by Royal insurance.  They have issued an FCC for $600 less than the actual cruise fare.  He and our agent are currently arguing to get the full amount or at least the 90% they promised (fare was $1770 - 90% should be $1593).  Going forward we will be getting insurance that will cover this contingency.

6 minutes ago, poocher said:

We had insurance through Royal and my brother & nephew were unable to reach the port due to severe storms up & down east coast.  No flights at any airport within a 3 hour drive for 2 solid days.  This was NOT covered by Royal insurance.  They have issued an FCC for $600 less than the actual cruise fare.  He and our agent are currently arguing to get the full amount or at least the 90% they promised (fare was $1770 - 90% should be $1593).  Going forward we will be getting insurance that will cover this contingency.

I was going to say that CFAR is only 75%, but it appears that the current policy that RCCL sells is 90%.

Is it possible that the original policy was purchased when the old terms and conditions were in place? The 90% is new under their new and improved insurance policy.

(Side Note: The policies cannot be sold to NY residents due to the built in CFAR rider)