Passport/Boarding Ticket/Covid Vaccine Card

Kaylabug10

We are going on a Carnival cruise at the end of the month. My boyfriend goes by his middle name so that is what is listed on his covid card. His passport has both his first and middle. His boarding ticket has his middle name currently, he has previously cruised and that is the name his VIFP account is under, but I am worried they may be a little more strict. Should I be worried?

As painful as it is to call Carnival these days, I would call them and see if you could get the name on his VIFP account and boarding ticket changed. My husband also goes by his middle name, but we make sure everything says his legal name. I would also see if he could go back to where he got his card and get them to give him another one with his legal first name...bring photo I.D. for verification that it is him.  Or print out a copy of his vax record from the appropriate state agency or pharmacy with his proper legal name.  Otherwise, I worry that they might give you a hard time...especially about the vax card! And you don't want that stress when you are boarding.    

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

As painful as it is to call Carnival these days, I would call them and see if you could get the name on his VIFP account and boarding ticket changed. My husband also goes by his middle name, but we make sure everything says his legal name. I would also see if he could go back to where he got his card and get them to give him another one with his legal first name...bring photo I.D. for verification that it is him.  Or print out a copy of his vax record from the appropriate state agency or pharmacy with his proper legal name.  Otherwise, I worry that they might give you a hard time...especially about the vax card! And you don't want that stress when you are boarding.    

Good advice, a cruise cost too much not to have all documents in order. 

Changing the name on the boarding pass isn't really an issue, you can just change it online. It will take the VIFP away but that's not the biggest deal. I guess my biggest concern is that his Covid card has the middle name, not the first. We have already submitted it to verifly.  I did call Carnival and they were less than helpful, would not give me a straight answer one way or the other. 

I would say not putting the legal name on the vaccination card was a mistake. And I'm a bit surprised they allowed him to do that. They took my driver's license with my vaccination card and put it all in the computer. I'm pretty sure they would've said something to me if it didn't match up.

One thing you could try is doing verifly. If you can get verifly to approve it, you won't even have to mess with it at the port. I didn't even know having a nickname on your boarding pass was an option.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

I'd say he should go back to where he got his shots and have them reissue him a new card with his legal name. And make sure everything is in his legal name.

Telling them "But I go by Trey" is a great way to watch the ship sail away from the pier.

• Like 2

Well we were in the first rounds of shots, it was all kind of a cluster at that point. Like the hospital called me and told me they didn't have where I had my first shot, just my second. I had to show them where I had it at that very facility. Verifly has already approved the card with his middle name, which is what is currently listed on his boarding pass. Its not a nickname, it's his legal middle name. It is also the name which he has sailed under several times, it is with his VIFP account. His middle name is listed on the passport.

When I got vaccinated I got my card and put it away. The day before my first cruise since the restart I was getting everything together and I happened to look at my vaccine card and was I ever shocked.

It had my first name right but a last name that wasn't mine. We raced over to Walgreens to get it changed and was the person there also shocked. She had no idea how the wrong last name got on there, especially since she recognized her writing so she knew she had done it.

She got quite flustered and insisted she couldn't change it, something about it already being in the system. Since there was space after the last name on the card she just wrote my real last name after it.

Been on 3 cruises now with that bogus card lol.

Not a good situation.....The COVID card asks for your legal name.  I also go by my middle name but making such mistakes can complicate life and in a situation like this prevent you from boarding the ship.

• Like 1