Shore Excursions: I have questions

BobCatter

On 6/5/2022 at 5:03 PM, kkapaldo said:

@Azulann -I think every port we were in there was always a shuttle bus for you to get into the center of town and return to the ship 

Can someone confirm the availability of shuttle buses to town for the ports on the British Isle cruises.  We are working on excursions for an August 2022 trip now, and I have read elsewhere on CC that Viking provides shuttles.

Does Viking supply shuttles (in addition to the optional tour excursions) to access the port town when NOT walking distance from the ship?

Is there a cost for shuttles?  And can you pay with shipboard account, or do you need local currency?

Thank you for your help?

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 4:02 PM, Azulann said:

I will be taking this same cruise  in June of 2023. Which of the  the  included walking tours were the most strenuous with walking up hills or lots of stairs?  Which was your favorite excursion? 

I am still in the  research phase of what I want to see on this  cruise.

I remember a steep hill to climb on the included walk in Stravanger up to a tower after the oil museum but you could opt to stay at the bottom and wait 5 minutes for the rest to return.One of the streets in Bergen was very slippery on abit of a slope in the wet as well.

A long walk in Copenhagen but all flat.

I tend to use the included tours as a taster to get my bearings.

They will drop you off towards the end so you can then go off and explore independently.

We did this in Helsinki 

Buses wait to transfer you back if not docked conveniently near by.

Just now, sugarside said:

I remember a steep hill to climb on the included walk in Stravanger up to a tower after the oil museum but you could opt to stay at the bottom and wait 5 minutes for the rest to return.One of the streets in Bergen was very slippery on abit of a slope in the wet as well.

A long walk in Copenhagen but all flat.

I tend to use the included tours as a taster to get my bearings.

They will drop you off towards the end so you can then go off and explore independently.

We did this in Helsinki 

Buses wait to transfer you back if not docked conveniently near by.

Favourite can all depend on the guide in my experience.

Go for what appeals and 95% of the time the guide will be great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whitbob said:

Can someone confirm the availability of shuttle buses to town for the ports on the British Isle cruises.  We are working on excursions for an August 2022 trip now, and I have read elsewhere on CC that Viking provides shuttles.

Does Viking supply shuttles (in addition to the optional tour excursions) to access the port town when NOT walking distance from the ship?

Is there a cost for shuttles?  And can you pay with shipboard account, or do you need local currency?

Thank you for your help?

It depends on the port.

I was recently asked to be in a Viking focus group, wanting to know what Viking could do to enhance our experiences.  One of the comments I made was that it would be useful when we received our final e documents to know which ports a shuttle would be provided in. The comment was very well received, so am curious if Viking complies.

However, what I have seen is that many pay no attention to the information that is provided to them in their e documents.  

• Like 2

I would so like to be in a Viking focus group!!!  what other things were discussed?  Included gratuities?  Slow walkers group for Ocean excursions?

5 minutes ago, deec said:

I would so like to be in a Viking focus group!!!  what other things were discussed?  Included gratuities?  Slow walkers group for Ocean excursions?

Maybe changing "gratuities" to "service charge" - which is what "gratuities" really is.

1 hour ago, deec said:

No discussion of gratuities, that wasn’t the subject.  Viking was looking for ways to enhance their services.  This included different routes, new and different types of excursions, possibility of themed cruises (wine tasting, music, etc).