The Daily for Friday 06/03/2022

richwmn

10 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

Wild sunrise over our golf course this AM as we await Tropical Storm Alex to start dumping large amounts of rain over Naples and Fort Myers, here in Punta Gorda, maybe 3 inches.

Should get our golf in as the rain is expected to start here about noon.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

81C179CA-EBAD-4C4C-9C12-6A62A115D08E.jpeg

aw pretty photo.  I feel bad for folks flying in today and tonight or early tomorrow for cruising Saturday.  And all the rain pouring down on the suitcases and folks trying to get out of buses and cabs not to mention a lousy sail out too.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I wish we could share some of ours in the Pacific Northwest. We had over 100 inches last year and already have over 60 inches this year. It was sunny this morning when I got up, but after a walk and a little work at the church, we got a squall that came with thunder and lightning. It is a rare day here that it doesn't rain this year.

too bad all these storms can't hang over southern Cal and Arizona as well as Colorado.  They really need the rain bad and oh Nevada too.

• Like 12

Good Afternoon All,

I just got back from celebrating Bike Day with my wonderful mountain bike. We’ve gone out together every day this past week. Guess I should plan to take Kate, my ebike for a spin too, so she doesn’t get jealous.

Our  little one is growing.

B39DDED6-C15C-4172-B60F-BBADA59AD7A9.thumb.jpeg.10af22f1c468a5ad0d0c77bf98a2493f.jpeg

And the kratky lettuce:

54780B1A-BF7C-4402-A0D1-76FF1256EF8B.thumb.jpeg.b91d0c2ae9da33dba6e0990ae389e104.jpeg

7 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I wish we could share some of ours in the Pacific Northwest. We had over 100 inches last year and already have over 60 inches this year. It was sunny this morning when I got up, but after a walk and a little work at the church, we got a squall that came with thunder and lightning. It is a rare day here that it doesn't rain this year.

We could use some of that, as can some of the other states around us.

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

One other thing:  I think the shirt @Horizon chaser 1957 crafted is beautiful, but I can't help thinking that the colors might fade away after a few washings.  Is there a way to fix the colors?

Ray

I was wondering the same thing. That’s one of the most beautiful blouses I’ve seen.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Well, I finally had a day off sort of, yes my blood pressure is too high, get walking again.   The blood pools in my hands and arms, well, he said i'm old and it happens to old people.  (have you ever wanted to slap your doc?)  im too young to be this old. 

then rushing back to walk the DOG.  I had to wake her up to go walk. 

Then out to lunch, we tried our new Popeye's Chicken-all i can say is really good cole slaw.  When he asked my name for the order I said Annie, it came back Emaie.  I think the young man had hearing problems. or typing problems, because the guy tried to give me more food than i had ordered.

then home and i found out i had an all company zoom meeting at 2,  and so did DH, so we set us up for the meeting, and fought over chair space.  i had cancelled the vet appointment to accommodate the meeting, but the bosses computers didnt work so the meeting was short, and i called the vet back and go the 3 pm appointment again.  She checked his eye for any type of scratches, asked me about his sneezing and gave him a 1 year rabies shot.  They are not sure how a cat with AIDS will do with the 3 year shot.  This cat sneezes so much, I think he thinks his name is "Bless you.". 

The we came home and since DH wanted to go to his 6 p.m meeting, I tagged along, met a wonderful woman from NJ, talked with her after the meeting, her husband came in and said are you ready to leave?  and then my DH came in and asked the same thing.  we said bye, and then DH and I went to the bank, it wouldnt take my check, so back to another bank tomorrow, and then off to Enzo's for meatball pizza and a salad.  ordered a large.  DH said are you sure?  I said ,that sir, is your breakfast and lunch, until i can get to a store.  So pizza for breakfast tomorrow.  And work all afternoon.

arghh!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

One other thing:  I think the shirt @Horizon chaser 1957 crafted is beautiful, but I can't help thinking that the colors might fade away after a few washings.  Is there a way to fix the colors?

At the first wash, the reds may shift to blue and some of the greens may fade. The rest of the print will stay. After that, it will hold as long as it’s washed in cool water and not hot.

The fabric is treated before printing to stabilize the prints and colours, just as cellophane has to be treated before it can be used as film for photography. Otherwise it won’t bond with the print. Normally linen gives me lovely golds and browns, but not greens. With this I tried a copper/iron dip and by sheer accident, left it in the solution long enough to hold greens deep in the fibres. The first wash removes loose colour that is sitting on the surface and hasn’t bonded. Then we will know for sure.
It will be a week before that first wash. You know how your mother used to insist grass stains be washed immediately before they stayed? The same is true with Botanical prints, so you let them set before that first wash.

This one was printed over a year ago, and washed 2 or 3 times.

57C37860-E8BA-4C0D-98FD-9354E1B4A00F.thumb.jpeg.a01cb2d696938d537810cb3652c84dac.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4

@TiogaCruiserI would love to share some rain with you. We got another three-fourths inch today, and it is still raining. I love the PNW, and the precipitation is a big part of why we are so green and have such great hiking and scenery. We can still see snow in the hills around town, because the snowpack this year was above normal. All of the snow works as a reservoir for the greater Puget Sound Region.

Our fire danger, west of the mountains, is also quite low compared to much of the country. We do get a little nervous when we have too long of a dry spell (more than a week) because the rain creates a great deal of fuel in forest underbrush. As long as it remains wet, it isn't much of a concern.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Are you on Nieuw Statendam?

Roy

Yes. Belem Tower. Bethlehem according to our guide, is the English.

Betty Ann, cruise and travel guide, did the sail in narrative from the Crow's Nest. We were the only ship in port, which is nice. Lisbon looked good. My last visit was 2014.

20220603_040430.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1