Breakaway Dress Code

joestein514

4 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

We ladies can wear  dressy sandals, so why can't men?

I think it's because you ladies are sometimes highly encouraged to wear heels and no one should ever be encouraged to try those things on! So us men have to always hide our feet (plus our feet do look nasty).

But...I'll continue wearing my flippy floppies. 

It's been a while since I was on the Breakaway, but I think all NCL ships are pretty much the same.  Have sailed Breakaway 3 times.  Cagney's....shorts no problem.  Le Bistro, once they required long pants, twice they did not.  Manhattan room-again, once long pants required, once shorts were OK.  LaCucina-shorts were fine...same for Teppanyaki.  Only ate in Ocean Blu once, and it was on Embarkation day.  So, shorts were allowed.  Not sure about the rest of the time.

Collared shirts were required in all the Specialty Restaurants, though.

Never worn sandals at any venue, so can't comment.

NCL is probably the most casual of all the cruise lines.  Although, sailed Royal Ovation of the Seas a couple of months ago.  They're pretty casual, too.  Funny/Sad sighting of a couple in literally tux/tails and gown, waiting in line at one of the MDRs along with people wearing khakis and sun dresses.  They were in line for about 30 minutes as best I could tell.  Struck me as to why someone would get dressed up to wait in line for so long to eat at a dining room on a cruise ship.

MSC was actually more formal than NCL, Royal or Carnival.

Bottom line, the days of dressing formal on a cruise ship, while some do, is becoming a relic of the past.  Costs more to have extra luggage for dress clothes when flying.  The days of wearing a suit to work every day is also a relic.  People are working from home, more and more.  It's just not a "think" any more.

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Collared shirts were required in all the Specialty Restaurants, though.

Never worn sandals at any venue, so can't comment.

In my experience only the specialty restaurants that require long pants require collared shirts. 

I've worn nice leather sandals many times and have never been turned away .

• Like 1

On Breakaway last week too.   DH had beautiful Tommy Bahama linen pants and Mens sandals.   Le Bistro sent him back for close toe.   I was tempted to tell him to identify as a different gender.   Ladies can wear sandals.  
Haven also told my adult son no flip flops in the dining room.   Ummm, we saw plenty of flip flops in the DR. And he had worn them earlier in the week.   So, heads up to the Haven folks.   The no flip flops seems pretty inconsistent.

• Like 1

Packing a pair of Dockers for a cruise is not an issue for my husband.  Packing size 13 huge shoes are a pain in the butt!  If we're not flying it is okay, but the weight and suitcase space when we are flying takes some planning.  He wears his good heavy walking shoes, but still has to pack boat shoes and flip flop sandals for ship time.....The struggle is real LOL!  

• Like 1

It is really a disaster now a days. 

Before when we had formal nights, we complained about tux/suit.

Now it's casual. We complain about long pants/collared shirts.

It is really tough to determine what to pack!

Why cruise? Too much of a hassle!

SMH 😆 LOL

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

It is really tough to determine what to pack!

Cotton sweat pants, slippers and a baggy Hawaiian shirt will get you into any venue on the ship.  My sweats to twill pants ratio exceeded 1:1 on my last cruise.  I may go for 2:1 on my next cool weather cruise.  Lands' End sells some nice 100% cotton jersey knit sweats that are somewhat of a cross between high end lounge pants and luxury PJs.  The cuffs are hemmed (not elastic) and probably look like nice dress pants to anybody more than six feet away.  Social distancing!!!😎