AmaWaterways Vietnam/Cambodia

hoosier2017

Looking for any and all information people can provide concerning this itinerary.  Did anyone have AMA book their flights? If so, which airline were you booked on.  Cruise wise, I’d like to know about the excursions, food, weather, and if anyone did the land extensions.   Thanks in advance! 

I did this route with Ama in 2017. I did the whole package from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. I did not have Ama book flights; I flew on Eva Airways (on Star Alliance points) Toronto-Taipei-Hanoi and HCMC-Taipei-Toronto. Overall, I really enjoyed it. The only real drawback for me was that there was a large group on board (about 1/2 of the passengers) that kept very much to themselves, which made socializing more difficult than I usually find on a river cruise. 
The food was fabulous. I am a fairly picky eater (although I like Asian food) and I never once ordered the standard fish, chicken or steak. There was always something that interested me, and they were all tasty and beautifully presented. 
Excursions were all in very small places (except in Phnom Penh). We learned alot about the local life. 
Cabins on the AmaDara are tight; the real balcony of the twin balconies eats into the cabin, and the French balcony side creates an almost useless little alcove, but otherwise the cabin was comfortable. I’m not sure how I would have felt about sharing it however. 

All in all; I did enjoy the trip, and I’m glad I went. 

Thanks very much for the info.  AMA is offering business class air for $3,999 a person which is very reasonable to say the least so that’s why I’d have them book the air.   We’ve done two other AMA cruises once in the smallest cabin and the second a French balcony cabin.   I feel we spend very little time in the cabin.  I know it will be very different then a Danube or Rhine itinerary, but excited for something different. 
can I ask what month you went and how was the weather?

1 hour ago, hoosier2017 said:

can I ask what month you went and how was the weather?

I went at the end of October. I found the weather very pleasant until the day we came into HCMC, when it was unbearably hot, and we were kept out of the hotel on an unpleasant excursion while the people who were departing collected their luggage and left the hotel. It remained hot the extra 2 days I was in HCMC. 

4 hours ago, TriMomma said:

Ha ha.   New to river cruising and thought this was an AMA (Ask me Anything) post about Vietnam and Cambodia.   lol

For this reason, I have never seen that acronym used on this Board.  😉

• 2 months later...
  • Host Jazzbeau changed the title to AmaWaterways Vietnam/Cambodia