Covid Refund

flametsfan

I am still waiting for port fees and taxes to be refunded from March 2020 cruise that I cancelled last minute when COVID broke.  It's been an ongoing battle and unfortunately, probably won't sail again with MSC for a long long time after I go on my FCC cruise in the fall.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this to see if there are any new recent data points to report .. specifically when a cruise was cancelled two days prior due to positive pre-cruise test report.

Unfortunately, we just had to do that. When I called MSC, at first they told me that if I didn't buy insurance, then I was out all but the port fees. Huh? I pointed out that it says right there on their health and safety measures page "If you test positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to or during your cruise, you and your traveling party will receive a full or prorated refund". Then she said she'd ask somebody and came back and said I would get a refund if I sent in my documentation of the positive result. Apparently in response to that documentation, they sent me a canned email on how to buy their insurance.

I had asked how long it should take for MSC to complete their part of the refund process and post the refund to the credit card (i.e., not how long it would take for me to see it on my credit card statement), and she said it should be just a few days. I'm not hopeful that is correct.

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

I had asked how long it should take for MSC to complete their part of the refund process and post the refund to the credit card (i.e., not how long it would take for me to see it on my credit card statement), and she said it should be just a few days. I'm not hopeful that is correct.

If 60 days is "just a few" then, yes, just a few days 😉

I would plan for 2 billing cycles and be pleasantly happy if it is faster.

1 hour ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

If 60 days is "just a few" then, yes, just a few days 😉

I would plan for 2 billing cycles and be pleasantly happy if it is faster.

I agree with you in terms of how long to realistically expect. But when I inquired, I explained that I was NOT asking when to expect to see it on my credit card statement. With that complication removed, talking about "billing cycles" make no sense. I say I don't care about that since I get notified immediately when a merchant posts a refund, so the only time I care about is when MSC pushes the button they need to push.

They try to make it sound like the holdup is the credit card company processing the refund, but of course that is a matter of milliseconds to post as pending. They'd rather talk about credit card statement timing than to say the refund process timing is really a function of how long they want to hold my money for cash flow purposes.