Stay and park? NCL Joy in Aug 2022

bazan

As title.. have a trip booked on the Joy for Aug 2022 departing from NY and will be driving to the port... anyone know if there is any hotel where you can leave the car parked during the stay (preferably SPG/Marriott as we are members) ? If not, what is the  parking like at the port?

TIA

When we were on the Breakaway out of NYC we spoke to a couple who did stay overnight with parking

It was about the same as the parking lot next to the ship, maybe a little less. Unfortunately I cannot remember the hotel name.  Did you ask on the roll call?

Just suggesting an alternative.  We live far from ports so our options are to leave our car at the airport, the pier or a hotel.

For our 42 day B2B2B out of NYC in April we rented a car one way and the same on our return.  Worked well and will choose this option for our next cruise (Sept-Oct).

For the two cruises we did out of NYC precovid we used Park Right, just down the street from the terminal.  You drive to the garage, an employee gets in the car, you drive to the port (only a few blocks), get out, the employee gets back in your car and drives it to the garage.  When you get back you call them once you have gotten off the boat and they drive the car over to you.  Easy peasy! 

https://parkright.com/670-w-43-st-new-york.shtml

A very unusual option is to stay across the river in New Jersey, especially if cost is an issue and you don't need to sight-see in Manhattan pre-cruise. Much cheaper hotels than Manhattan, parking half the cost, and only a $9, 8 minute ferry ride from NJ to Manhattan followed by a short walk to the Pier. Easily done with luggage unless you're very heavily loaded with suitcases. It also has the benefit of avoiding driving and parking in Manhattan. We're doing that this weekend, staying at a hotel right next to the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Jersey, the Residence Inn (which is Marriott) and  parking in a garage attached to the hotel. Factoring in our Canadian exchange rate, doing this easily keeps at least $C400-$C500 in our pockets. For us, the slight inconvenience of the ferry is more than offset by not having to manage Manhattan driving, parking and taxis.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bazan said:

As title.. have a trip booked on the Joy for Aug 2022 departing from NY and will be driving to the port... anyone know if there is any hotel where you can leave the car parked during the stay (preferably SPG/Marriott as we are members) ? If not, what is the  parking like at the port?

TIA

Call the hotel directly and ask them 

We live in NJ so we only live about 1:15 from the port. That being said, we sail as a family of 4/5 with all of our luggage. If taking a small car, like a sedan, you can park anywhere you choose, both a garage and port will be about the same price unless you do like you say and stay the night somewhere, or are willing to park much further away. If you are taking a larger car, like a mini van or large SUV, the costs at the local garages is actually MORE than the port itself after all the BS fees they add on. On our upcoming Joy cruise on 6/19, we are taking a mini van and parking at the port for $40/day (night?). We have done it before with no issues, and short walk. It is REALLY nice not having to wait for anyone. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Just suggesting an alternative.  We live far from ports so our options are to leave our car at the airport, the pier or a hotel.

For our 42 day B2B2B out of NYC in April we rented a car one way and the same on our return.  Worked well and will choose this option for our next cruise (Sept-Oct).

after 10 days parking in MHT is a flat rate of $400

2 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

For the two cruises we did out of NYC precovid we used Park Right, just down the street from the terminal.  You drive to the garage, an employee gets in the car, you drive to the port (only a few blocks), get out, the employee gets back in your car and drives it to the garage.  When you get back you call them once you have gotten off the boat and they drive the car over to you.  Easy peasy! 

https://parkright.com/670-w-43-st-new-york.shtml

would be useful to know how much that facility cost for your parking.  And how much extra the pier drop off cost.

For what it's worth, the self parking at the Manhattan terminal was the easiest part of the whole embarkation experience. I think most people take shuttles because there was plenty of parking and no line to come in or out of the garage. The elevator drops you off right at the security line.

37 minutes ago, joelheather said:

after 10 days parking in MHT is a flat rate of $400

Thanks for this info.  That's only a bit more than our rentals cost.  Good to have another option.  Of course, leaving our car in any public lot for 42 days gave us additional concerns.

34 minutes ago, joelheather said:

would be useful to know how much that facility cost for your parking.  And how much extra the pier drop off cost.

It says right on their website that it is $213 for seven days taxes included.  They also state on their website that the max they charge is $300 for up to 14 days.  There is no extra charge for the drop off and pick up at the pier, it is included in the price.  Hope this helps.  They were very professional when we used them and will use them again when we cruise out of NYC.

4 minutes ago, Redsky5292 said:

It says right on their website that it is $213 for seven days taxes included.  They also state on their website that the max they charge is $300 for up to 14 days.  There is no extra charge for the drop off and pick up at the pier, it is included in the price.  Hope this helps.  They were very professional when we used them and will use them again when we cruise out of NYC.

I believe they charge extra for oversized vehicles, which can range from small SUV’s to minivans to large SUV’s.

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I believe they charge extra for oversized vehicles, which can range from small SUV’s to minivans to large SUV’s.

I know they did precovid, honestly most garages in NY do.  We were just in the city this weekend and our friend was charged an oversize fee for her suburban (she was expecting it).  I also forgot to mention that they wash your car while they have it in the garage.

Edited by Redsky5292

Whether or not it's cruising NCL or another line from MCT, they charge a flat daily rate of $40, taxes (round up as )19% included and no surcharges for over-sized, over-height, over-length, and over-wide vehicles, full size or mini-van and/or AWD & 4WD, pickup truck (can't vouch for big campers) ... almost all commercial garages now charge $10 to $15 per day extra for it. 

If you drive a regular 4 door sedan, off-pier parking nearby with a guaranteed discount rate will probably save you $10 vs. MCT rooftop's rate, but not the convenience & it's secured, locked - and you take the keys with you on the cruise, no moving your car in the garage or getting dinged or scratches on the doors or bumpers, etc. 

It's a matter of personal choice & preference.  Disembark, elevator directly to the rooftop, Porter assisted if you need, drive & just go. 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 8:24 AM, lx200gps said:

A very unusual option is to stay across the river in New Jersey, especially if cost is an issue and you don't need to sight-see in Manhattan pre-cruise. 

this is a great suggestion and i don't think it's that unusual at all... i think it's quite common, with many hotels offering packages with a one night or two night stay together with longterm parking.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:31 AM, omalley16 said:

We live in NJ so we only live about 1:15 from the port. That being said, we sail as a family of 4/5 with all of our luggage. If taking a small car, like a sedan, you can park anywhere you choose, both a garage and port will be about the same price unless you do like you say and stay the night somewhere, or are willing to park much further away. If you are taking a larger car, like a mini van or large SUV, the costs at the local garages is actually MORE than the port itself after all the BS fees they add on. On our upcoming Joy cruise on 6/19, we are taking a mini van and parking at the port for $40/day (night?). We have done it before with no issues, and short walk. It is REALLY nice not having to wait for anyone. 

Good to hear parking at the pier should not be an issue. I figure by the time the previous cruisers disembark there should be plenty for new arrivals.By any change do you know how many vehicle the pier can accommodate? All the searching I have done and cannot find the answer lol.

13 hours ago, dewb5359 said:

Good to hear parking at the pier should not be an issue. I figure by the time the previous cruisers disembark there should be plenty for new arrivals.By any change do you know how many vehicle the pier can accommodate? All the searching I have done and cannot find the answer lol.

I don’t think they ever run out of parking spaces.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UKstages said:

this is a great suggestion and i don't think it's that unusual at all... i think it's quite common, with many hotels offering packages with a one night or two night stay together with longterm parking.

I’ve never heard of this hotel offering parking packages, guest parking is $35 a night. Usually the NJ hotels that used to offer cruise packages were in remote areas with free guest parking.

• 1 month later...

I just booked a Park & Cruise Package @ the Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park, NJ for $289 + tax for a total of $331.25. For us it is worth it because we will be on a 12 night cruise and it is cheaper than parking at the port (would be $480) & we can arrive a day early & leave the driving in the busy traffic up to the shuttle driver. We are coming from Western Pa & like to get there a day ahead, (especially in the winter) & we don't need to go into the city to sight see, so this is the best option for us. Just thought I would let some of you know that there are still park & cruise hotels out there, because a lot are asking about it.

5 hours ago, bren61 said:

For us it is worth it because we will be on a 12 night cruise and it is cheaper than parking at the port (would be $480)

FYI, the maximum charge for up to 14 days of parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is $400. It wouldn't have affected your decision, but might affect the decision making process of someone reading this down the road if hotel prices were to rise. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

FYI, the maximum charge for up to 14 days of parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is $400. It wouldn't have affected your decision, but might affect the decision making process of someone reading this down the road if hotel prices were to rise. 

Thank you, that is also good to know.