A few random questions

Cruisin_Mo

I have a few random questions, and I do not think I need a separate post for each one.

1. Can we switch names on the rooms before the cruise, or do we just have to get extra keys from guest services? Background: Relative and her daughter, and my daughter and I were sharing rooms. Relative daughter is no longer going because she is unvaxed, so my daughter's friend is going, booked in relative's room. I'm rooming with relative, and daughter and friend are in a room. The rooms were booked under my and relative's VIFP numbers. I'm trying to avoid needing to visit guest services when I'm sure they will be busy.
  2. Sail and sign, is the credit card on the account for the person or for the room, because reading the Carnival website, it looks like it's per stateroom. Because of question 1, I'd rather it be per person.
  3. Is there a such thing as travel medical insurance? I know it can come included with the travel insurance. But this price paid for the cruise is pretty low, so I'm not as concerned about that. My concern is possibly having a medical emergency and needing evacuation. My daughter and I are accident prone, and I see that people have been airlifted due to broken bones.
  4. Do you bring your own glow stuff for the 80s rock and glow party, or does Carnival provide it?
  5. Does Carnival loan wheelchairs for getting off at ports? I know they have them available at embarkation and debarkation, but I want to know if they use them at the ports of call. Background: A person in my group will be renting a scooter, but at one port we have a Carnival excursion using a van, so there is no place for the scooter. They use a walker or cane for short distances, so not having a wheelchair on the excursion is fine.
  6. How much extra do you tip when you have prepaid gratuities? Especially the room steward and MDR staff. Do you tip when getting a soda, or only drinks that someone makes?

TIA

I can help with some of this.  

2.  Each person can set up his/her own credit card for the SS card.  At check in online, there is an option to grant spending privileges or have separate ones.

3.  SQUAREMOUTH is a good website to find medical travel insurance.  They have options that only covers medical, not trip cancelation, and it is reasonable, at about 40 to 50 pp for basic medical. 

4. Carnival provides the glow sticks but runs out quickly.  

6.  Everyone has a different opinion on this.  Some not at all, others always with varying amounts.  We add $1 per drink and $10 per day for the steward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You cannot just change people around now before you sail without paying fees to change names and probably getting thr prices refared. People wait until they board if they need to change cabins or get keys to another cabin.

Since it's a carnival excursion I would ask about using a wheelchair once onboard. If you tell them you need it seems like they would let you use one but they will be a first come first serve basis. 

The global sticks are more like thrown into the audience not handed out so everyone gets one. You need to be lucky to get one of its crowded. I've gotten them before but not always. 

You dont say if you have the drink pkg. If you are buying drinks a tip will be added. If you have cheers then then hand you a slip saying 0 where you can add a tip. I think $1 a drink is pretty normal if you have cheers, ...if you buy its added. 18% I think I read. 

I dont ask anything extra from my steward. And am very neat. I think $5 a day is plenty to add plus I bring treats like pringles and chocolates. If you ask for ice daily for instance or all new towels daily .. you know if you ask for extra stuff.

Edited by firefly333
  • Thanks 1

I have had Cheers and a gratuity is included but I always tip an extra dollar.

I use GeoBlue (blue cross/blue sheild) for travel.  When I traveled last cruise with my 2 DDs (19 & 21) the coverage for a 5 day cruise was $43.19 total which was for medical evac primarily.  Our deductible was $500.  I believe it is based on the age of the oldest person traveling and that would be me.  I'm old.😉

Man, I thought I tipped a lot on top of prepaided grats....I usually tip $20 to main room attendant, $10 to assistant room attendant, $20 to MDR head waiter, $15 to asst MDR and $5 to Maitre D.  Room service gets $3 per delivery.  I also tip the table person at the roulette table.  Don't see many players do that, at least not on my last cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Extra tipping is completely up to you. Our practice is to tip the room steward extra if we request extra things or the room steward provides extra service (ice requests, extra towels, etc.). 

There is an auto 18% gratuity added to drink orders. Again, we tip extra depending on the circumstances and service provided.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I have had Cheers and a gratuity is included but I always tip an extra dollar.

I use GeoBlue (blue cross/blue sheild) for travel.  When I traveled last cruise with my 2 DDs (19 & 21) the coverage for a 5 day cruise was $43.19 total which was for medical evac primarily.  Our deductible was $500.  I believe it is based on the age of the oldest person traveling and that would be me.  I'm old.😉

Man, I thought I tipped a lot on top of prepaided grats....I usually tip $20 to main room attendant, $10 to assistant room attendant, $20 to MDR head waiter, $15 to asst MDR and $5 to Maitre D.  Room service gets $3 per delivery.  I also tip the table person at the roulette table.  Don't see many players do that, at least not on my last cruise.

On our last cruise in April our cabin steward had no assistant. The Webster worked his butt off.

1 hour ago, AHS123 said:

That's a lot of questions to be ending with a TIA!! 

I figured I would thank at the beginning and the end, kind of like the gratuities, lol.

That said, I have a followup to number 1. So do we exchange the luggage tags so our luggage goes to the correct room, or leave it like it is? Our rooms are a few doors apart, so it would not be a big deal if we have to leave it as is.

• Like 1

You are smart for wanting to get travel insurance, especially if DD's are accident prone. My adult DD has severe (anaphylaxis) peanut and fish allergies so she definitely needs travel insurance.

Having an international medical emergency or needing a medical evacuation from a ship can unfortunately result in a lifetime of financial burden.  Usually the travel insurance plans I purchase are not very expensive, and for me, worth the piece of mind they give.  When comparing plans I mainly look at the medical and evacuation coverage. 

Have a wonderful time on your cruise with your daughters.

• Like 1