Taxis in Southampton

Currently planning to stay one night precruise at Premier Inn West Quay.  Intending to take National Express from LHR. 

Is it fairly easy to find a taxi at the bus drop off if I don't want to walk to the hotel with luggage?  Would a taxi driver scoff at the short trip?  

Are unlicensed taxis something common to look out for?

Is it difficult to get a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal?

Thank you.

John Bull will likely have a more up to date response, but for 2019 Southampton turn around days we used both the white 'radio cab' taxi service and Uber.

A side effect of using Uber is I get in app notifications of 'Uber Eats' specials with prices in Pounds - not too useful.

There's a small taxi rank at the coach station - I suggest one of you head straight to it to grab a taxi while the other follows up with the luggage.

If there's no taxi there, they swing by from time to time.

Yes, its a very short distance, about 600 yards, no turnings, all on sidewalks, all on level ground. But if mobility or luggage or weather make that difficult, no worries - there's a minimum fare (about £5) and drivers won't scoff.

All taxis are licensed, it's illegal not to be.

But there are two levels......... 

"Hackney Carriages" are licenced to ply for hire at taxi stands or can be hailed in the street. Their fares are metered. In Southampton they're all white.

"Private hire taxis" are generally cheaper (no big deal for short journeys) but they have to be booked - signs on the doors say "No Booking - No Ride". Uber come within this level.  If you're having difficulty, staff at the bus station can give you phone numbers for local operators - or, if asked sweetly, even phone for you if you don't have a UK-based phone plan. Those taxis too usually use meters for local journeys, but can charge a £1 booking fee.

Premier Inn West Quay is about the same distance from City Cruise Terminal, or a taxi to any cruise terminal is no more than £10. The hotel can call a taxi for you.

Same two levels in London ...............

Hackney Carriages are known as black cabs (even though some aren't black)

Private Hire taxis are called mini-cabs (even though most are standard-sized cars)

Hailing a back cab in the street is quicker & more convenient, but book a private hire taxi for longer distances eg central London to Heathrow airport.

JB 🙂

Thank you for all the info.  Travelling solo and won't have a phone that works in the UK.  Is the area between the bus station and the Premier Inn safe for a solo female to walk with luggage in the middle of the day?  I looked at Google street view and it looks like a nice enough area.  Am I more likely to forget to look right before crossing the street than being the victim of a crime?  

Will have the hotel call a taxi to the port if there isn't one around.  I'm sure lots of people will be headed my same direction.

2 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Thank you for all the info.  Travelling solo and won't have a phone that works in the UK.  Is the area between the bus station and the Premier Inn safe for a solo female to walk with luggage in the middle of the day?  I looked at Google street view and it looks like a nice enough area.  Am I more likely to forget to look right before crossing the street than being the victim of a crime?  

Will have the hotel call a taxi to the port if there isn't one around.  I'm sure lots of people will be headed my same direction.

Yes, no worries.

And in the middle of the day there's enough traffic to remind you which way to look.

JB 🙂

On 6/8/2022 at 4:38 PM, SomewhereGirl said:

May 27, 2022, I took a taxi from Southampton National Express Coach station to Premier Inn West Quay on a Friday around 11am-12pm.  Once off the Coach, we (2 senior ladies), walked through the building. Outside the building , there was space for 4 taxi cars.  We only waited a few minutes and a SUV taxi turned the corner.  I told him the hotel name.  He said you can walk to it.  I said, not walking with luggage.  Dropped off at the door. Cost was under £7?  My sister/brother in law walked.  Brother in law pulled luggage and sister had hand luggage.  She found it a long walk after getting lost.  I was glad to have taken a taxi.

I asked at the desk about a taxi for the next morning.  There is a direct line to a “Radio” taxi company near the elevators.  I called while waiting for our room to be ready for the next day with my name, hotel name,  time I wanted, Ship name/terminal, number of people and number of luggage.   There was a list of cruise line ships and terminal near the elevator. Cost to Mayflower terminal was under £10. Mask to be wore in taxi.

We were tired so decided to eat dinner at the hotel.  I had taken the Breakfast Meal Deal.  They changed the Breakfast Meal Deal into Breakfast and Dinner Meal Deal.  They asked what time we wanted to have dinner and breakfast  so chef can be prepared.  Dinner meal - glass of wine/beer/soda, either appetizer or dessert and main meal.  Breakfast was buffet.

You have to swipe your room key to get elevator to go up.

Edited by phabric

23 hours ago, phabric said:

May 27, 2022, I took a taxi from Southampton National Express Coach station to Premier Inn West Quay on a Friday around 11am-12pm.  Once off the Coach, we (2 senior ladies), walked through the building. Outside the building , there was space for 4 taxi cars.  We only waited a few minutes and a SUV taxi turned the corner.  I told him the hotel name.  He said you can walk to it.  I said, not walking with luggage.  Dropped off at the door. Cost was under £7?  My sister/brother in law walked.  Brother in law pulled luggage and sister had hand luggage.  She found it a long walk after getting lost.  I was glad to have taken a taxi.

I asked at the desk about a taxi for the next morning.  There is a direct line to a “Radio” taxi company near the elevators.  I called while waiting for our room to be ready for the next day with my name, hotel name,  time I wanted, Ship name/terminal, number of people and number of luggage.   There was a list of cruise line ships and terminal near the elevator. Cost to Mayflower terminal was under £10. Mask to be wore in taxi.

We were tired so decided to eat dinner at the hotel.  I had taken the Breakfast Meal Deal.  They changed the Breakfast Meal Deal into Breakfast and Dinner Meal Deal.  They asked what time we wanted to have dinner and breakfast  so chef can be prepared.  Dinner meal - glass of wine/beer/soda, either appetizer or dessert and main meal.  Breakfast was buffet.

You have to swipe your room key to get elevator to go up.

I agree that walking from the coach drop-off to the Premier Inn is not an easy one while pulling 47-50 pounds of luggage plus a small hand luggage.  My friend wouldn’t pay for a taxi so we walked and I found it exhausting.  I’m taking the coach from Victoria Stn to Southampton in November and staying at Ennios….will be taking a taxi!  I’m sure the walk is easy without luggage , as I found out when my friend and I walked  from the hotel to McDonald’s, and back again. 

Hello, do you know if taxis accept credit card payments? I will land at Southampton airport and I read on the website that ATMs and currency exchange counters are closed at the airport.

4 hours ago, Rotie said:

Hello, do you know if taxis accept credit card payments? I will land at Southampton airport and I read on the website that ATMs and currency exchange counters are closed at the airport.

Most but not all now accept credit cards. 

I don't know about AmEx or Diners, but generally fewer UK outlets accept them outside of significant tourist areas like central London.    

JB 🙂

51 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Most but not all now accept credit cards. 

I don't know about AmEx or Diners, but generally fewer UK outlets accept them outside of significant tourist areas like central London.    

JB 🙂

Thank you! I will get some pounds through my Bank before I leave 

38 minutes ago, Rotie said:

Thank you! I will get some pounds through my Bank before I leave 

We find It's always best to carry some local shrapnel.

An ice-cream van, an unexpected bus fare, toilets, etc.

A few years back on a tour of St Petersburg, as is often the case lunch was included but not drinks. The restaurant accepted only roubles - no foreign cash, no cards.

We drank beers, others had to make do with water.😉

And left-over currency seems so easy to spend 😀

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1