ESTA help addresses

elmsliebev

just doing the ESTA form for our cruise and I'm a bit confused!

I need to include a) US point of contact information and b) an address whilst in the US.

For the second (b) I will put the hotel in Miami where we are staying post-cruise. 

However for the first one (a) we fly into Vancouver, board there and our first port of call is in Alaska.  Cunard's website says you can put "unknown" but the ESTA website won't allow me to progress and asks for street/state information,etc. Can I put the Cunard head office, or just Unknown in every field? What have others done please?

thanks

8 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

I need to include a) US point of contact information and b) an address whilst in the US.

For the second (b) I will put the hotel in Miami where we are staying post-cruise. 

However for the first one (a) we fly into Vancouver, board there and our first port of call is in Alaska.  Cunard's website says you can put "unknown" but the ESTA website won't allow me to progress and asks for street/state information,etc. Can I put the Cunard head office, or just Unknown in every field? What have others done please?

thanks

Think flying in on the sailing date is a tad risky.  
Best to ask Cunard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

thanks

I have put in unknown in the past. I think you can put down the cruise terminal address in Alaska perhaps?

2 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

the hotel is in Canada. This is for the US visa waiver scheme. 

This is an interesting point, because legally your correct address is the ship when it enters USA waters, also the ship is the place where you are staying in the USA.  The only people who could assist would be the USA embassy.  Would not trust Cunard on this one.

Good luck

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

thanks

In the past I have put unknown or Queen Elizabeth, you will "enter" the US at the cruise terminal in Vancouver, so immigration will understand your answer

• Like 1

What address should I enter for my ESTAapplication if I am on board a cruise ship?

Answer

If you are travelling to the US on board one of our ships and you are not staying ashore, you are classed as 'in transit' and can select this during the application process.

Alternatively you can select 'Unknown' and put the name of the ship as the 'Contact'. If you are staying in a hotel in the US either pre or post cruise - you should enter the hotel details.

I completed our ESTA forms on Monday but wasn't asked for any addresses. I suspect this was because I said we were only transiting America and not staying in America. The question was the first in travel information,  'Is your travel to the US occurring in transit to another country?' to which I answered 'Yes' . I found the website was poor at responding on my husband's top of the range computer and used my fairly new lap top which dealt with the form very easily. It took me three attempts to complete it. 

The Canadian ETA was much easier.

Having re-read your question I see you are staying in America after the cruise so this may not be of any use to you, sorry.

1 hour ago, Craigrlewis said:

What address should I enter for my ESTAapplication if I am on board a cruise ship?

Answer

If you are travelling to the US on board one of our ships and you are not staying ashore, you are classed as 'in transit' and can select this during the application process.

Alternatively you can select 'Unknown' and put the name of the ship as the 'Contact'. If you are staying in a hotel in the US either pre or post cruise - you should enter the hotel details.

yes, I saw that and tried it but it didn't like it! Eventually I put the name as Queen Elizabeth, Unknown as the street and Alaska as the State! It has gone through but not been approved immediately. 

1 hour ago, Ukulele girl said:

I completed our ESTA forms on Monday but wasn't asked for any addresses. I suspect this was because I said we were only transiting America and not staying in America. The question was the first in travel information,  'Is your travel to the US occurring in transit to another country?' to which I answered 'Yes' . I found the website was poor at responding on my husband's top of the range computer and used my fairly new lap top which dealt with the form very easily. It took me three attempts to complete it. 

Having re-read your question I see you are staying in America after the cruise so this may not be of any use to you, sorry.

yeah, it's not the best website. Got there in the end I think. 

2 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

yeah, it's not the best website. Got there in the end I think. 

Did it work? I think you'd be OK with your Miami hotel address too - after all -you could turn around and return to the USA next year , use the same ETIAS and not have to , or indeed be able to, update your contact address.  We just used our first hotel for both. 

14 hours ago, Ukulele girl said:

You completed the forms after you booked the cruise or trip? I always do my new ESTA before I book any American travel. My current one expires July 23 I have no U.S travel booked after that.

12 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

yes, I saw that and tried it but it didn't like it! Eventually I put the name as Queen Elizabeth, Unknown as the street and Alaska as the State! It has gone through but not been approved immediately. 

It takes an hour or so to get approved. When are you going on your cruise?

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

You completed the forms after you booked the cruise or trip? I always do my new ESTA before I book any American travel. My current one expires July 23 I have no U.S travel booked after that.

This one was booked almost 2 years ago so our previous one expired after booking it. I generally do the etsa about a month before travelling. 

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

It takes an hour or so to get approved. When are you going on your cruise?

thanks, yes both approved now. We go next month.

When we got married a few years ago, we were going to the US and I asked about turnround times as my new married name passport didn't come into effect till the day we got married so I couldn't apply for my esta till then. Fortunately we had a couple of days before we flew to NY for our QM2 Transatlantic but I rang the US Embassy in the UK to ask about timings and was breezily told "oh people do it on their way to the airport"! That would have freaked me out. 

• Like 1

Update: all sorted and approved.

I put "Queen Elizabeth"  in the contact name, "Cunard" in the first line address, "Alaska" in the State and "Unknown" in the other required lines. 

I used the Miami hotel in the Address whilst in the US section. 

thanks for the advice all. Another thing off the list! 

• Like 2