Covid testing changes.

grammi

30 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

Since you actually get a response, do you have a name and address for HAL or CCL that you can share?

I just use the online message form and use any topic to send.  I think it might also try investor relations this week

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LynnTTT said:

We have a cruise leaving Vancouver on July 6. Flying into Canada from the US is no longer a problem, but HA requires a monitored Covid tests within 2 or 3 days of boarding the ship.  WE'll be  in Vancouver for several days before embarking so we'll probably need testing done there... Which is really expensive.

HA poted on the cruise web page that there may be tests available at the ship that day, but you can't sign up til ten days before.  Any advice?  

I think we are on the same trip as you, Lynn.

I had to travel to London earlier this year and bought the Binax test kits that include a monitoring service. The morning before I flew home, I logged on with my computer and took the test in my hotel room.

We’ll also be in Vancouver for a few days, so planning to do the same thing one morning. It was pretty quick and easy. I bought the tests from Optum store, but I think there are other places you can get them. 

ETA: the tests including monitoring are $33 each at Optum 

Edited by jm485

Unfortunately a week late to save us from the ordeal a false positive caused us in Vancouver, but I'll take credit for this change because of the sarcasm laced email I sent to the CDC after we got home.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

16 minutes ago, jm485 said:

I think we are on the same trip as you, Lynn.

I had to travel to London earlier this year and bought the Binax test kits that include a monitoring service. The morning before I flew home, I logged on with my computer and took the test in my hotel room.

We’ll also be in Vancouver for a few days, so planning to do the same thing one morning. It was pretty quick and easy. I bought the tests from Optum store, but I think there are other places you can get them. 

ETA: the tests including monitoring are $33 each at Optum 

I suspect that there will be a lot of the BiNax monitored test kits for resale now that they are not needed for flying home. There may even be fire sales on them.  I was going to get online this morning to buy them for our group of 4 to use for our flights home from Venice in September, then I saw the reports of the testing being dropped.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I suspect that there will be a lot of the BiNax monitored test kits for resale now that they are not needed for flying home. There may even be fire sales on them.  I was going to get online this morning to buy them for our group of 4 to use for our flights home from Venice in September, then I saw the reports of the testing being dropped.

I was able to order another 8 from the US government.  I think the deal is now that over 65 can order as many as they want 

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I was able to order another 8 from the US government.  I think the deal is now that over 65 can order as many as they want 

We just got this week our government tests, only problem they are not monitored so only good for home use not for travel. We will take some with us in August just to be able to use them if we the sniffles.

27 minutes ago, Tiger2112 said:

Unfortunately a week late to save us from the ordeal a false positive caused us in Vancouver, but I'll take credit for this change because of the sarcasm laced email I sent to the CDC after we got home.

LOVE THIS!!! 💕😅💕

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We just got this week our government tests, only problem they are not monitored so only good for home use not for travel. We will take some with us in August just to be able to use them if we the sniffles.

There are monitoring services that accept any FDA test kit.  Let me see if I can find one of my many links

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

There are monitoring services that accept any FDA test kit.  Let me see if I can find one of my many links

https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/

Yay!  My TA called this morning to give me the news.  She also forwarded this notice from HAL:

Statement Date:
Embark Date: Ship:
Jun 10, 2022
Jun 19, 2022 Noordam
Voyage: From Port: To Port:
N241 Whittier Vancouver
IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
We wish to advise you of an update to our onboard mask policy for your voyage. Out of an abundance of caution due to the rise in positive COVID-19 cases throughout Alaska, all guests will be required to wear face masks at all times while indoors on board during your cruise, except when eating or drinking or in their own staterooms. Masks are highly recommended while outdoors in large gatherings or if physical distancing cannot be maintained. We also strongly recommend wearing masks while ashore, particularly when indoors, on public transportation or in crowded areas. Masks are also required on all cruise line- sponsored transportation, such as motorcoaches and rail.
Guests who do not comply with this mandate may not be permitted to board the ship or may be disembarked.
We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to exploring Alaska with you.

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you, that is the first testing service I have seen that didn't require purchasing a kit from them first. I will try them out for August if still required. Have you used them and if so, were they accepted by the travel vendor? We have 12 of the Government issued tests in our closet now.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Thankfully, Celebrity dropped B2B testing between sailings about a month ago. Princess, too, according to a friend who just completed 21-days of 3 7-day sailings.

Can anyone is is on or recently returned from a B2B Bos to Bos confirm that no test was required before reboarding in-transit?

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Another option for proctored testing using the free government FDA tests is the following for $15. You can book an appointment for each person, then do them at the same time. They offer scheduling in any time zone.

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you, that is the first testing service I have seen that didn't require purchasing a kit from them first. I will try them out for August if still required. Have you used them and if so, were they accepted by the travel vendor? We have 12 of the Government issued tests in our closet now.

I have not but other cruise critic forum members have reported back that it was a perfect experience 

CDC May reinstate annoying testing if cases go up, but once you remove a requirement good luck reinstating it. Why not drop the testing for cruises? Makes sense to me. It’s the government…..no common sense.

• Like 5

BEAV, please stop posting that Celebrity has dropped B2B testing.  I've seen your posting this in several places now.  No, Celebrity has NOT dropped testing between B2B cruises.  We were on May 21 first week, told no testing when we got on, then Wed. got a letter, said we and all other B2Bers had to test Sat. before Sun. start of second cruise.  DH tested positive and we were put off the ship.

Please don't assume any line has stopped B2B testing for good.  It must depend on future ports of call and their requirements, or how many folks are testing positive on ships, or  whatever reason.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saltshell said:

Do you still need to test if flying from US to Europe?

Depends on the country, but for the most part, No if you are vaccinated.  This website has good travel information action and is generally accurate:

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions?

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger2112 said:

Funny! Here I was going to take credit for the change as I sent a message to the CDC early this morning regarding the inconsistencies in the testing methodology since you can take a bus or shuttle across the border from Canada or walk over the southern border without a test. All I was asking for was the rationale for the inconsistency. Lo and behold, a few hours later, I heard about the change. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, GrandmaOhio said:

Yay!  My TA called this morning to give me the news.  She also forwarded this notice from HAL:

Statement Date:
Embark Date: Ship:
Jun 10, 2022
Jun 19, 2022 Noordam
Voyage: From Port: To Port:
N241 Whittier Vancouver
IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
We wish to advise you of an update to our onboard mask policy for your voyage. Out of an abundance of caution due to the rise in positive COVID-19 cases throughout Alaska, all guests will be required to wear face masks at all times while indoors on board during your cruise, except when eating or drinking or in their own staterooms. Masks are highly recommended while outdoors in large gatherings or if physical distancing cannot be maintained. We also strongly recommend wearing masks while ashore, particularly when indoors, on public transportation or in crowded areas. Masks are also required on all cruise line- sponsored transportation, such as motorcoaches and rail.
Guests who do not comply with this mandate may not be permitted to board the ship or may be disembarked.
We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to exploring Alaska with you.

Has anyone else gotten a message like this?  The HAL website still has the same 'recommended' and I'm not seeing this anywhere else.  I have an Alaska cruise coming up next month and this is a worry of mine.

22 minutes ago, LeslieA said:

Has anyone else gotten a message like this?  The HAL website still has the same 'recommended' and I'm not seeing this anywhere else.  I have an Alaska cruise coming up next month and this is a worry of mine.

Yes, it came this morning to both me and our TA.