When Will the CDC Drop Testing Requirement for Cruises?

terrydtx

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I would venture the opposite, there are just as many or more who will not cruise while the testing is a requirement. CC is never a good indication of overall cruising attitudes. I have a large circle of friends who are very experienced cruisers and more of them are not booking cruises because of the stress of showing up to board with a negative test. BTW none of our friends are members of CC.  Some very close friends and past cruise mates with us will not cruise while the testing is required. They have 15 Oceania cruises mostly in expensive suites in the past and they are no longer going to cruise.

So that may be a good sign. While the US still had a testing requirement it was not hard for Celebrity to rationalize having a testing requirement. Now that the US has dropped the requirement perhaps Celebrity will decide they can do so also. Of course there may still be testing requirements from countries the cruise visits but if you can take cruises that do not have a testing requirement ....

16 hours ago, graphicguy said:

This is speculation, too.  But, just like all the other health declarations cruise ships require, I think proof of COVID vaccinations will just be another one.  I think vaccine requirements will be accepted as more and more people qualify for the vaccinations (meaning children).

I think we all remember the hysteria from some when the COVID vaccines became available a year and a half ago....(some that I remember)...

-it will alter your DNA (FALSE)

-it's made with human parts (FALSE)

-it's unconstitutional (FALSE)

-State of FL won't let the cruise lines ask for vaccine status (well, they said that, but never stopped the cruise lines from doing so)

-you can't make me get the vaccine (TRUE, but required if you want to cruise, and no, you your rights are not violated if the cruise lines turn you away)

-there will be massive forgeries of CDC vaccine cards (there were a few criminal enterprises, but they were caught, and facing massive fines and a criminal Federal felony record, everyone got the message and didn't offer counterfeits anymore).

Ended up, we got vaccinated.  To my knowledge, no one has grown a 3rd eye.  We are cruising, and no one gives a 2nd thought about providing vaccine proof.  Looking like the cruise companies aren't having any trouble filling ships, again.

Glad all that is over!

Many ships are still sailing with drastically reduced numbers - it is most definitely not all over.

I agree with all your other points and have cruised 4 times in the last 12 months most recently in May.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, p18750 said:

So that may be a good sign. While the US still had a testing requirement it was not hard for Celebrity to rationalize having a testing requirement. Now that the US has dropped the requirement perhaps Celebrity will decide they can do so also. Of course there may still be testing requirements from countries the cruise visits but if you can take cruises that do not have a testing requirement ....

That would depend on Celebrity's rationale for the testing regime. Are they doing it to satisfy the authorities or to minimize Covid cases on the vessel?

I'd also be interested in knowing if they want this policy to lock people that tested positive up to stick around forever. Because I'm of the opinion that it's nonsense at this point since there are plenty of active cases roaming around on board anyway, same as at your local mall.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vickykay said:

Can you give the name of the on line companies for proctored tests? We used the ones ordered from Celebrity this past Jan but they are costly. Thanks.

This is one several CC members have used and recommended, you can use any test you have like the ones the government is sending out. This company only charges for the online proctoring and the fee is $20pp.

Observed Test for Travel - Rapid Test & Trace USA (rapidtestandtrace.com)

• Thanks 1

I’m in favor of pre-cruise testing dropping. I said this last time it was discussed and I will say it again, we sailed all last summer without pre-cruise testing. The ships had relatively low cases on board. I sailed Edge and the sailing before us had less than five cases and we had zero cases. I also think this is what the cruise lines want. Viking just announced that they are dropping all testing on board and not requiring the pre-cruise test, unless the country requires it. They still require it in the US, so hopefully that shifts soon. Here’s the link from Viking: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

Edited by AbbyCruiser45
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, p18750 said:

Not sure how the two are related.  The US dropped testing (like most of the world) to allow entry by international flight passengers.  There is a large number of infected or previously infected people with Omicron and sub-variants wandering about so a few from an international flight would just blend in the background.  This could change if a completely new variant of interest arises.  As for cruises, Celebrity is in the "voluntary" CDC program on ships leaving from US ports.  As such- they could decide to drop pre-cruise testing in agreement with the CDC.  I don't see that happening any time soon.  They will be conservative until the cases on board are very minimum as Omicron will spread easily on a ship.  Then perhaps testing will go away. Most cruise ships are still in the orange zone unfortunately.

3 hours ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I’m in favor of pre-cruise testing dropping. I said this last time it was discussed and I will say it again, we sailed all last summer without pre-cruise testing. The ships had relatively low cases on board. I sailed Edge and the sailing before us had less than five cases and we had zero cases. I also think this is what the cruise lines want. Viking just announced that they are dropping all testing on board and not requiring the pre-cruise test, unless the country requires it. They still require it in the US, so hopefully that shifts soon. Here’s the link from Viking: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

My mother sailed on the Edge and the Odyssey of the Seas B2B.  On the Edge it was nice and she loved the ship but on the Odyssey, most of the Show cast, crew and some passengers were sick quarantined.  Most entertainment was canceled and two ports had to be skipped.  She did  receive a free cruise that she will have to use by Dec 31st as a result.

The number of Covid cases are still unstable and differ from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing so I don't know if the cruise industry will be so quick to do away with testing.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

They will be conservative until the cases on board are very minimum as Omicron will spread easily on a ship.  Then perhaps testing will go away.

And there's the rub.

Since omicron's easy transmission assures that many people (including crew) will likely to continue to test positive even while asymptomatic, this could go on pretty much forever.  Is it worth it?

Locally, our positivity rate jumped from 4% in the second week of April to 13% now, and THAT'S just of those who have received PCR tests.  Heaven knows what the real positivity rate is given the number of asymptomatic cases wandering around in addition to those who have mistaken their symptoms for allergies in what has turned out to be a very high pollen season here.

And yet ... our death rate is down substantially (about 1/6) from the first of the year when case counts were much lower.

If positive tests, especially of asymptomatic individuals, which are the only metric that seems important to the lines right now, aren't a good predictor of consequences due to omicron, is it the right metric? 

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Not sure how the two are related.  The US dropped testing (like most of the world) to allow entry by international flight passengers.  There is a large number of infected or previously infected people with Omicron and sub-variants wandering about so a few from an international flight would just blend in the background.  This could change if a completely new variant of interest arises.  As for cruises, Celebrity is in the "voluntary" CDC program on ships leaving from US ports.  As such- they could decide to drop pre-cruise testing in agreement with the CDC.  I don't see that happening any time soon.  They will be conservative until the cases on board are very minimum as Omicron will spread easily on a ship.  Then perhaps testing will go away. Most cruise ships are still in the orange zone unfortunately.

Why are cruise ships different than flying, where we have no idea of vac status, testing results, yet we can be seated next to someone we don’t know and will never see again?  Social distancing is much easier to effectuate on a ship if one desires.  IMO it is no different, I’m flying a 7 hour each way flight in September/October, I’m vaccinated (getting my booster a few weeks before) won’t wear a mask and I’ll feel as safe as I can.  Pre-Covid I sat next to hackers, sneezers, nose pickers etc, unfortunately that will never go away.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Why are cruise ships different than flying, where we have no idea of vac status, testing results, yet we can be seated next to someone we don’t know and will never see again?  Social distancing is much easier to effectuate on a ship if one desires.  IMO it is no different, I’m flying a 7 hour each way flight in September/October, I’m vaccinated (getting my booster a few weeks before) won’t wear a mask and I’ll feel as safe as I can.  Pre-Covid I sat next to hackers, sneezers, nose pickers etc, unfortunately that will never go away.  

All good reasons why post Covid we fly first or business class. It may cost more but helping to mitigate covid contact is priceless.😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

All good reasons why post Covid we fly first or business class. It may cost more but helping to mitigate covid contact is priceless.😁

Same here = drive up to 1500 miles/fly business or first class when we have to fly, We have done this since last May.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Yep.  For an upcoming trip to Ireland, I was able to get the “throne” seat in Aer Lingus bus class seat.  I tried for Mint on JetBlue on a recent trip to Mexico but discovered they don’t offer it on those flights.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Cruise ships have been treated as special cases pretty much from day 1 by the CDC and other health agencies.  Airlines have not.  Hotels have not.  Buses and Trains have not.  Is it reasonable or fair? No.  But the cruise industry had to get going again and had to jump through hoops to sail with passengers.  It is a real irony that the only mode of transportation that can pretty much guarantee close to 100% vaccination status, is cruising.  When I get on a passenger train I have no idea who is vaccinated and I know that most passengers were not tested in the past 48 hours.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, canderson said:

And there's the rub.

Since omicron's easy transmission assures that many people (including crew) will likely to continue to test positive even while asymptomatic, this could go on pretty much forever.  Is it worth it?

Locally, our positivity rate jumped from 4% in the second week of April to 13% now, and THAT'S just of those who have received PCR tests.  Heaven knows what the real positivity rate is given the number of asymptomatic cases wandering around in addition to those who have mistaken their symptoms for allergies in what has turned out to be a very high pollen season here.

And yet ... our death rate is down substantially (about 1/6) from the first of the year when case counts were much lower.

If positive tests, especially of asymptomatic individuals, which are the only metric that seems important to the lines right now, aren't a good predictor of consequences due to omicron, is it the right metric? 

And don't forget the thousands of people who do an antigen test, test positive and simply stay home.  They are never included in the numbers.

As for death rates being down, Dr Bonnie Henry who heads BC Canada medical said three factors for lower death rates.  First is better treatment options.  Second is the current varient is USUALLY milder.  Third (a bit scary to me) is many of those that are the weakest have passed in the last 2 years.

FWIW hospitalized numbers are not dropping as much as one would predict using statistics in many areas.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

And there's the rub.

Article on CNN stated the up and down in cases with very low hospitalization and deaths  and it being very regionalized may well be the new normal now for some time. This nay he the new endemic way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I go economy ($619 RT to Rome in late August!) but I really hate masks but will wear the required N95 over (Italy regulations ) and some mask back . Will even wear on my US connection though not required. The 2 day test prior to my Rome cruise is clearly stated by Celebrity as an Italy requirement. As Italy still requires N95 masks on public transportation this will remain for quite some time. But at least 2 days so I can test here at home before leaving the US. Will be getting my 2nd booster 4 weeks prior to leaving  and testing. With that return test gone had to schedule a get away in late August. I’m not young enough to keep delaying.

• Like 1

As I said the decision to test passengers before boarding is voluntary (except a few destinations) and I believe will be subject to Celebrity view on whether more people will cruise with the testing or without the testing. Celebrity is a business and continuing to sail with half empty ships does not bode well for their survival. I am not sure what Celebrity is taking into consideration in making this decision, but I am pretty sure it is a business decision as much as a health decision. 

8 minutes ago, p18750 said:

As I said the decision to test passengers before boarding is voluntary (except a few destinations) and I believe will be subject to Celebrity view on whether more people will cruise with the testing or without the testing. Celebrity is a business and continuing to sail with half empty ships does not bode well for their survival. I am not sure what Celebrity is taking into consideration in making this decision, but I am pretty sure it is a business decision as much as a health decision. 

I think you will find that passenger loads have increased significantly in the last 45 days.  Friends recently sailed on Apex with about 2500.  A thread on Summit suggested 1700.  Accounting for quarantine cabins held back and CWC last minute cancellations that looks pretty full to me.  Especially  with the continuing issue of getting crew visas.

12 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I think you will find that passenger loads have increased significantly in the last 45 days.  Friends recently sailed on Apex with about 2500.  A thread on Summit suggested 1700.  Accounting for quarantine cabins held back and CWC last minute cancellations that looks pretty full to me.  Especially  with the continuing issue of getting crew visas.

I think it is hit or miss. Some cruises seem relatively full and others are half empty. I am not sure of the reason but I would guess Celebrity can see the correlation. For example my cruise on Edge next month is less than half full if you can believe the available cabins displayed on the Celebrity site. If the ships fill back up again there will be no reason for Celebrity to drop the testing requirement. If not, then there will be a major business reason to drop it. 

15 minutes ago, p18750 said:

I think it is hit or miss. Some cruises seem relatively full and others are half empty. I am not sure of the reason but I would guess Celebrity can see the correlation. For example my cruise on Edge next month is less than half full if you can believe the available cabins displayed on the Celebrity site. If the ships fill back up again there will be no reason for Celebrity to drop the testing requirement. If not, then there will be a major business reason to drop it. 

No way to know if the low capacity is Celebrity self imposed or the result of lower bookings. Last Year on the Equinox, we sailed with 1400 pax, but all the suites but 2 were sold out. Last year the whole industry kept capacities lower than 50% to control the virus more, this year very little is being said about capacities by Celebrity or the industry as a whole. I have seen live posts by CC members on cruises quoting  capacity numbers all over the place.

3 hours ago, canderson said:

And there's the rub.

Our states public health officer in a communication to the medical community basically said we publish positivity rates because labs and providers send us that data, but with all the unreported at home testing positivity rates and case numbers are almost just numbers. For their decision making and best info, they follow hospitalization rates. Hospitalization rate isn’t perfect, but is the best metric right now. He went on to say that trajectory and rate of climb May week turn out to also be helpful - with omicron in January, cases went up exponentially and hospitalization followed right behind with the same trajectory- this time hospitalization isn’t rising nearly as fast as cases and positive rates.