Any recent POA experiences?

ChiefMateJRK

I'm on a POA FB group and depending on who is posting, depends on what the review is like.  Overall, most people feel that the staff has been going above and beyond to make the guests experience a positive one.  Sounds like there's still longer waits for dinner in the dining room (if wanting to dine at prime times) and at the bars.  It sounds like since they reduced capacity to 40% things have gotten a bit better.  Of course, there have also been to reports about long waits for everything, sold out excursions, etc. and general unhappiness about paying full price for a reduced experience

I´ve been on the May 14th cruise (see my review here). The crew manning situation has not changed and will not at least until October. NCL did cancel a couple of people to keep the number of passengers between 1100 and 1200 (which is app. 45-50%). Until the end of October there restaurant and bar situation will not change.

steamboats

On 6/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

A few weeks back we had a number of reports of the struggles that Pride of America was having getting back up to speed, but lately it's been pretty quiet.  Did things die down or is it just the calm before the (next) storm?

I sometimes wonder if we are censored here.  I am enjoying the group on FB.  Most people are making the best of the beauty of Hawaii and the good attitudes of the crew.  We are up for that! 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GeroWA said:

Have heard some disturbing reports -  so am watching this post with great interest.

Fact is that only Cagney´s and Jefferson´s Bistro are open as specialty restaurant. Fact is that Skyline is only open for dinner and there are waits (our max. was 40 min at 6:30 pm). Aloha Café and Cadillac Diner are open for all meals.

Outdoor bars - there´s only Ocean View Bar open (until 6 pm). The John Adams Coffee Bar is open in the morning til 9 pm including full bar service. Pink´s Champagne Bar and Napa Valley Bar are open in the evening. Mardi Gras is serving during activities there (as well as the theater). You usually have to go to the bar and place your order there. No waiters to take your order.

Skyline and Cadillac had good to excellent service. Jefferson was o.k., Cagney´s we ran out of luck which a not really experienced guy who even had to ask whether there are sauces for the steak.

There were no regular shows in the theater but guest entertainers. The two overnight evenings there were movies shown in the theater. There´s a singer/piano player, singer/guitar player and the house band.

steamboats

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

Fact is that only Cagney´s and Jefferson´s Bistro are open as specialty restaurant. Fact is that Skyline is only open for dinner and there are waits

It sounds as though the reports I heard are correct. Hopefully things will improve by the time I cruise in 5 weeks (fingers crossed)

2 hours ago, GeroWA said:

It sounds as though the reports I heard are correct. Hopefully things will improve by the time I cruise in 5 weeks (fingers crossed)

Do remember that Hawaii is the real attraction, and the POA is merely your transportation around Hawaii (and a very smart way to get a taste of our islands).  Warmest Aloha!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Do remember that Hawaii is the real attraction, and the POA is merely your transportation around Hawaii (and a very smart way to get a taste of our islands).  Warmest Aloha!

I agree 100%.  I've told my family that POA is not a "real" cruise.  It's just a floating hotel that provides an enjoyable and economic way to see multiple islands.   That said, I can wait until it is back to "normal."  HI ain't going anywhere....

3 hours ago, GeroWA said:

As they are running on limited passenger capacity until October, I doubt that there will be any changes.

steamboats

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Aloha! I totally agree... We hardly spent any time onboard except for sleeping.

steamboats

• Like 1

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

We were on the May 28 2022 POA and on the three day pre tour.  Overall we were satisfied with the experience but there were some "hits and misses".  On the pre tour we were disappointed with the Hyatt Regency Hotel (lacked soul) and the unusually early starts to two days of the tour (6:45 and 7:00 a.m.).  The sights and tours were enjoyable but the included lunch was poor.

The ship was very nice and well maintained.  The staff was excellent and very friendly and helpful. We sailed with less than 900 passengers and the ship felt empty most of the time.  The food in the Aloha Cafe was good for breakfast (fruits, bread/pastries, french toast and coffee) but mediocre at lunch (the Asian section was good).  The MDR service was excellent but the food quality (Hake was served twice and Tilapia once) and preparation was very spotty.  The coffee and expresso were not drinkable.  Cagney's was passable and the Bistrot was very good. Coffee and expresso were awful.  Entertainment was either absent or High School quality and the House Band was mediocre.  The only worthwhile act was the Pinks Bar "lounge singer".  The island visits were very good and most tours were worthwhile.  The only negative was the cancelling of the Kona stop because of phantom winds effecting the Tenders.

We enjoyed the cruise and were satisfied.  It was our first time on Norwegian but we have sailed HAL, Viking and Oceania.  After the cruise we stayed for three days at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (Ali Tower) and it was very superior to the Hyatt.  We were told that the POA pre tour used to stay at the Hilton HV.

I will try to answer any specific questions.

Joel Barry

• Like 2

19 hours ago, steamboats said:

As they are running on limited passenger capacity until October, I doubt that there will be any changes.

steamboats

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Is the limited passenger capacity because there aren't enough staff or are there less staff because the passenger capacity is low?

32 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

Is the limited passenger capacity because there aren't enough staff or are there less staff because the passenger capacity is low?

Since NCL has been canceling some peoples cruises to get to the 40% my guess is they don’t have enough staff. 

3 hours ago, GeroWA said:

They don´t get any staff... As the POA has to have at least 75% US / Greencard staff in the hotel department and there is a lack of staff in hospitality landside in the US they simply don´t get the staff. That´s why they had to reduce the passenger capacity. They won´t cancel booked cabins just out of nothing ;-).

steamboats