Packing for a cruise today v packing 10+ years ago. What's changed for you?

On 9/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, slidergirl said:

heads up;  there is a new 'reality show' starting tonight on Bravo; "Real Girlfriends in Paris."  It'll probably be bad, like most of those shows, but it's in Paris.  Maybe turn off the sound and look at the scenery.  Or maybe watch for potential restaurants, bars, museums, etc,. that could be of interest on a trip.

I saw listings for this show, but never could find it.  Just got a new DISH receiver, so I'll go look for it again.  You're right, it's probably dismal, but it's PARIS!

12 hours ago, rtdiva said:

I have reduced or eliminated several take ons, however I have added this past cruise, during Halloween, door decor - 2 Day of the Dead skeletons 💀dressed in painted roses, make up etc. were attached with magnets. I put colorful KN 95 mask on their faces. 

The reason I’m mentioning this is I’ve only seen a few decorated doors over the years on the cruise lines I book,  a CC group suggested door decor as a contest. I found door decor is festive, I can easily locate my room AND the room steward 👍🏻mentioned how much he enjoyed seeing them! 

I would love to do this for our Christmas cruise, but I keep reading that cruiselines forbid door decor and your steward is supposed to remove it.  Some baloney about 'fire safety' .  Maybe I should bring my 'door goodies' anyway??

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I would love to do this for our Christmas cruise, but I keep reading that cruiselines forbid door decor and your steward is supposed to remove it.  Some baloney about 'fire safety' .  Maybe I should bring my 'door goodies' anyway??

What cruiseline?  Never seen that it wasn’t authorized. I put on Celebrity & Royal & have on Norwegian. Of course, nothing flammable. 

23 minutes ago, awhfy said:

What cruiseline?  Never seen that it wasn’t authorized. I put on Celebrity & Royal & have on Norwegian. Of course, nothing flammable. 

Can't remember 'my sources' but NCL, Princess, or this forum somewhere.  I'll go looking for the information.  Unless I'm getting hallucinatory in my old age.  

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I saw listings for this show, but never could find it.  Just got a new DISH receiver, so I'll go look for it again.  You're right, it's probably dismal, but it's PARIS!

It was on Bravo - same channel as all the Below Deck and Real Housewives shows.  It finished it's season like 2 weeks ago.  Not worth it, content-wise, but it did have Paris in it...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

It was on Bravo - same channel as all the Below Deck and Real Housewives shows.  It finished it's season like 2 weeks ago.  Not worth it, content-wise, but it did have Paris in it...

Oh Bravo ... a channel I'm only familiar with for their horrendous broadcasts.  "Below Deck" is the dumbest show I've ever seen, and I love everything about cruising.  And the "Housewives"???  I've never watched one, even the promos are enough to make you throw up.  So even with Paris in the background, it probably wouldn't be worth it!  Thanks for the details.  

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Oh Bravo ... a channel I'm only familiar with for their horrendous broadcasts.  "Below Deck" is the dumbest show I've ever seen, and I love everything about cruising.  And the "Housewives"???  I've never watched one, even the promos are enough to make you throw up.  So even with Paris in the background, it probably wouldn't be worth it!  Thanks for the details.  

gotta say - I started watching RH Orange County because I went to High School with one of the husbands.  And, I went to high school in Orange County (Corona del Mar).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 11:16 AM, jsn55 said:

Can't remember 'my sources' but NCL, Princess, or this forum somewhere.  I'll go looking for the information.  Unless I'm getting hallucinatory in my old age.  

It's Norwegian, I just learned this too. I have also heard elsewhere that it's not strictly enforced as long as you don't go overboard with the decor (but depends on the ship/crew). I am going on my first cruise on NCL in January and am planning to bring just one door magnet.

• 3 weeks later...

I no longer pack gowns and DH doesn't pack a tuxedo. And I no longer carry books to read, things to keep me busy, a big camera, all kinds of makeup and jewellery. But I still pack just as much stuff - or rather I did until our last cruise when our checked luggage was delayed at the airport both going and returning home and so for the next cruise, it will be carry-on only.

Also, since the lost luggage experience in June, I've been reading about/watching YouTube videos on the 100 day dress challenge. One hundred days wearing the same dress. While I couldn't do that, something that struck me was that most people do not notice what someone else is wearing.  And if they do, does it matter? I realised that I'm taking a lot of clothes just for ME - not because anyone else cares if I have 14 different outfits for 7 days. 

• Like 2