World of Rugby Museum and Stadium Tour

I feel so silly asking these questions, but I know there are patient people here that will try to help.

I am trying to book tickets online. I keep getting an error, I suspect because of my phone number. In the US, we format as xxx-xxx-xxxx, and for international sites, I just have to put a 1 in front of it. But this stupid form is not accepting anything I throw at it, with leading country codes, with dashes, without dashes. I think it just doesn't like a US phone number. 

And my second question is about trains. We have Visitor Oyster cards for travel. How does that work with advance purchase of rail tickets? I know the route -- Charing Cross to Waterloo to Twickenham, but can I just use my Oyster card on the day of travel and it applies to the daily max, or do I need to purchase separately?

Thanks for any help. I'll try to contact the Museum itself tomorrow, but I was trying to get this wrapped up asap. I've spent WAY too much time on this already! 🙂 

49 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

I feel so silly asking these questions, but I know there are patient people here that will try to help.

I am trying to book tickets online. I keep getting an error, I suspect because of my phone number. In the US, we format as xxx-xxx-xxxx, and for international sites, I just have to put a 1 in front of it. But this stupid form is not accepting anything I throw at it, with leading country codes, with dashes, without dashes. I think it just doesn't like a US phone number. 

And my second question is about trains. We have Visitor Oyster cards for travel. How does that work with advance purchase of rail tickets? I know the route -- Charing Cross to Waterloo to Twickenham, but can I just use my Oyster card on the day of travel and it applies to the daily max, or do I need to purchase separately?

Thanks for any help. I'll try to contact the Museum itself tomorrow, but I was trying to get this wrapped up asap. I've spent WAY too much time on this already! 🙂 

Try your phone number with +1 (note the plus sign) in front of the area code and number. 

24 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Try your phone number with +1 (note the plus sign) in front of the area code and number. 

Yup, tried that. Also tried 001 and 011.

If they didn’t use it for ticketing, I’d just use a fake number. I booked half a dozen things over the weekend, and this was the only one I had trouble with. Couldn’t submit their Contact form either. I sent them a message on Twitter.

9 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Because Twickenham is within the TfL fare zones, just use your Oyster card as if you were travelling purely by Tube. There is no need (and no point) to buy tickets separately in advance. Touch in and touch out at each of the stations as you pass a gateline - for the journey you describe, you touch in at Charing Cross as you enter the Tube station, and then at Waterloo you will have to touch out of the Tube, go up to the mainline concourse (platform) level where you will touch in again as you go on to the platform for the train to Twickenham. Touch out when you exit Twickenham station.

I can't remember whether Twickenham station has a gate line for travel on normal days. (On match days they have special arrangements which means that you have to remember to look for the Oyster readers by the side of the crowd's walking route.) If you don't see a gate line as you exit or enter the station, remember to look out for and use an Oyster reader to touch out/in.

The fare for each journey will be calculated and deducted automatically as you touch in and out. The correct fare for a through journey will be calculated and deducted even if you have to touch out and touch in again to make the connection. (There is a maximum permitted time for each connection, although these are pretty generous, and especially generous when changing to/from National Rail at Waterloo, for technical reasons.) And the correct daily cap will be applied if/when you reach it.

Having said all that, if you are staying near Charing Cross, it's a nice day and you are not pressed for time, it's a very pleasant walk over the Hungerford footbridges to Waterloo. (These basically cross between Embankment Tube and the Royal Festival Hall, with one bridge on either side of the railway bridge that carries the National Rail lines into Charing Cross.) If you use the north-eastern bridge, you'll get a fantastic view of the City and St Paul's; and if you use the south-western bridge, you'll see the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament. Given how much time it takes to get into the Tube station and down to the platform, plus a possible wait of several minutes for the next train, walking over the river to Waterloo won't actually take that much longer than doing that by Tube.