It is summertime and the kids are back...

On 6/15/2022 at 9:06 AM, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

I’m bringing my 2 yr old on an extended family cruise in July. We will be on the Harmony OTS. On deck 5 there is a running path that goes all the way around the ship. I was planning on visiting that deck often with the kiddo to let them run around and get the crazies out.  Would that be considered rude or poor behavior??? First time cruising with a kiddo or on this class of ship but I cannot imagine that area being too crowded or heavily used.

I've not sailed RCI, but on other cruise lines when I sailed with young children there are always parts of the ship that are fairly empty that you can find if you keep looking.  It might be decks away from the pools; on our previous cruises (maybe not on RCI) the upper decks, and sports deck usually had at least one empty court/field.  There were banquet rooms that are open and empty.  As others have noted, the actual running track might be a tripping hazard but if you wander away from pools and dining venues during the day, hopefully you will be able to find some fairly empty places on the ship (but my family has primarily sailed for itineraries and have never actually been on a mega ship, so if others disagree with me please listen to them).  Also, at 2 my kids were entranced by glass elevators.  Might not be ideal during covid, but during other times, kids are happy just riding up and down.

Also, bring a diaper bag to the Windjammer and take some fruit, cereal  (if they still have cereal boxes) and yogurt or other portable food back to the room so you always have a snack on hand for your kid.  It's a good idea to take cereal  (fruit is banned) off the ship with you on excursions so you don't get caught somewhere with hungry, cranky kids.

Edited by kitkat343

52 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Also, bring a diaper bag to the Windjammer and take some fruit, cereal  (if they still have cereal boxes) and yogurt or other portable food back to the room so you always have a snack on hand for your kid.  It's a good idea to take cereal  (fruit is banned) off the ship with you on excursions so you don't get caught somewhere with hungry, cranky kids.

life hack: WJ didn't always have boxed cereal on the Allure on our May cruise, we even asked and they said no. However, they had boxed cereal in the Park Cafe. It was Rice Crispies and Corn Flakes, but still.

I like to get challah bread at WJ - it's delicious, fits into sandwich sized ziplock bags and it's not "forbidden fruit". 🙂 DS loves to get Fruit Loops for an off ship snack, but they didn't have it this time. Now that he has discovered that Oasis class ships have chips in the Park Cafe, he is totally enamored. Also makes for a nice off and on ship snack.

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

life hack: WJ didn't always have boxed cereal on the Allure on our May cruise, we even asked and they said no. However, they had boxed cereal in the Park Cafe. It was Rice Crispies and Corn Flakes, but still.

I like to get challah bread at WJ - it's delicious, fits into sandwich sized ziplock bags and it's not "forbidden fruit". 🙂 DS loves to get Fruit Loops for an off ship snack, but they didn't have it this time. Now that he has discovered that Oasis class ships have chips in the Park Cafe, he is totally enamored. Also makes for a nice off and on ship snack.

In most ports food taken off of ships is supposed to be factory sealed.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, baelor said:

They can read a book.

This seems like holding kids to really low standards lol.

Signed, 30-ish-year-old

Oh my goodness, how many people under the age of 50 actually read books? I buy books, but don't read them - just don't have the inclination to do so after I purchase the book. I suppose I have the time, but would prefer to be online, talking to my husband, or out with the dogs. 

Heck, music that is 30 years old is older than me. Was any of it good? I think the kids would prefer more up to date music - I know I would. And I don't care if it's explicit or not. Kids listen to it, so we might as well deal with this fact and allow them to as well. 

As an aside, Golddigger's lyrics aren't that bad. You ever hear Khia? Those are interesting (not going to say bad) lyrics. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh my goodness, how many people under the age of 50 actually read books? I buy books, but don't read them - just don't have the inclination to do so after I purchase the book. I suppose I have the time, but would prefer to be online, talking to my husband, or out with the dogs. 

Heck, music that is 30 years old is older than me. Was any of it good? I think the kids would prefer more up to date music - I know I would. And I don't care if it's explicit or not. Kids listen to it, so we might as well deal with this fact and allow them to as well. 

As an aside, Golddigger's lyrics aren't that bad. You ever hear Khia? Those are interesting (not going to say bad) lyrics. 

Please print this post you wrote and read it again in 25 years.

39 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Heck, music that is 30 years old is older than me

Apparently my math is as bad as my book reading! I meant to say music that is 30 years old is almost as old as me! Yikes I would definitely go back to being in my 20's, but if you round my age up, I'd be at 40! 

In my 25 years of cruising I've experienced way more adults behaving poorly than the kids. I know we're all a little rusty from the pandemic but may I suggest joining in the fun or smiling at the kids next time. You may no longer come across as an old grump 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1