Direct Billing for Expenses

hal2008

Insurance purchased through cruise lines are naturally always expensive or offer inferior coverage.

This has been known for many years.

But there has to be some advantages for so many people buying it from cruise lines?

What are they (other than convenience of getting them while booking it and not have to do research on travel portal)?

Do they offer direct billing? (so that one does not have to pay on board medical charges and then deal with reimbursement)?

2 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Insurance purchased through cruise lines are naturally always expensive or offer inferior coverage.

This has been known for many years.

But there has to be some advantages for so many people buying it from cruise lines?

What are they (other than convenience of getting them while booking it and not have to do research on travel portal)?

Do they offer direct billing? (so that one does not have to pay on board medical charges and then deal with reimbursement)?

For most people, purchasing the cruise line insurance is not the best idea.  As you suggest, it is primarily convenience.  No, the ship medical center does not accept the cruise insurance, you have to file for reimbursement just like with a third party plan.

To elaborate on the weaknesses you mentioned:

• Medical coverage is usually too low.  Many cruise lines only cover $10K and with the exception of Viking, I am not aware of any line that covers more than $25K.  Plus with the exception of Holland America, I don't believe any cruise line plains waive a pre-existing conditions clause.  Finally, all cruise plans that I know of offer secondary medical insurance.  You first have to file with your regular medical insurance, and the cruise line pays what they don't.
  • Most cruise line plans only cover the cruise cost.  Some will cover other costs paid to the cruise line such as air and shore excursions.  They don't cover items purchased from other suppliers.

What are some of the advantages:

• Coverage is not age dependent.  As one gets older, third party plans get more expensive.
  • Cancel For Any Reason coverage is included with most cruise line plans.  With the exception of Holland America, you get a future cruise credit for 75-100% of the non-refundable portion of your cruise fare.  Holland gives you 90% in cash.  Most third party CFAR plans cost more and rarely refund more than 75%.  But it covers all of your non-refundable expenses and it is in cash.

I personally would never rely on a cruise line plan unless I had adequate medical coverage from another source.

Why do most people buy direct from the cruise line? My opinion is because the majority just don't know any better.

There are probably a minority number of people who actually weigh the pro's and con's and determine for themselves that the cruise line policy will work for them, but not many.

• Like 2