Leaving Quebec City

janetb12345

Where is “home”?  We took a flat-rate taxi to the airport, Porter Airlines to Toronto, then on to our final destination (Washington, DC).  The train is also a good option.  Of course, that depends on where you’re going.  🙂

Edited by *Miss G*

One thing to consider WRT Montreal disembarkations:  sometimes the water levels are too high in the river for even the smaller HAL ships, in which case you will disembark in QC and be bussed to Montréal.  (Or vice versa if you are embarking.)

The last time we did this itinerary, we flew from Quebec City, but we wouldn't do it again. Flight choices were very limited, and we had a connection in Newark, which was awful. After claiming our luggage and going through customs and immigration then rechecking the luggage, we were outside the secure area and had to go through security lines again.  We have taken the train from Quebec City to Montreal, which is very pleasant. Montreal has a lot more flight choices, at least for us. That's what we would do in the future.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention in my previous post that in Montreal you pre-clear US immigration and customs (in Montreal),  so when you arrive in the US, you do not have to go through immigration or customs there. It's just like arriving on a domestic flight. Flying from Quebec City, they do not offer pre-clearance, so you will be arriving as if on an international flight when you arrive in the US. That to us is much less convenient.

5 hours ago, janetb12345 said:

We live near Spokane, Washington. As far as flights from Quebec, we are looking at all day travel to get home.

Yes, I think you would either have to take the train to Montreal, then connect through Vancouver.  Or, fly Quebec City to Toronto and then a direct flight to Seattle.  While Toronto Pearson is a nightmare at times, the upside is you will clear US customs in Toronto through a dedicated in-transit passenger line, and remain "airside" at all times.  Your luggage will be checked all the way through to Seattle.

Now - Porter (mentioned above) does fly to Midway in Chicago, so that could be an option if you can get flights from Midway to Seattle (I assume so, but never tried, so I'm not sure).  But you would have to connect at the Toronto Island airport - so two connections - and would clear US customs in Chicago.  I haven't done that post-Covid, but it is a fairly straightforward process as there are few international flights into Midway.