Discovery Princess - HDMI connection

lotus land

32 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Can't answer your specific question...but just be aware that even if there *is* a physical port there it just might be locked out through programming.  I've seen various threads that mention this possibility.

In addition, you may not be able to reach the HDMI port. Some televisions are so close to the wall it's not possible to access the port.

Can't reach it (I tried) and accessing the input menu was a real pain and all the other inputs had been disabled.

It's too bad, the star princess' last drydock before covid had her getting the newer TV'sbut the new on demand menu wasn't active yet.  The standard TV menus had ways to screen cast from devices as well as use the TV speakers for Bluetooth which was really nice.

Edited by cruisingrob21

I can't say for sure about the Discovery Princess but on ALL the other Princess ships we've been able to connect to the HDMI input and switch in the input for our devices. Yes, it's difficult to reach but with some persistence it can be done. 

Also considering the limited new material that Princess is currently offering you won't be disappointed in bringing you own shows to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Also considering the limited new material that Princess is currently offering you won't be disappointed in bringing you own shows to watch.

That's a fact - in the time of Covid, I'm shocked that they can't show the MUTS movies in cabins (last time I cruised anyways they didn't have them in the cabin tv library) or some of the shows in the Princess Theater.  It can't be that hard to tape and record anything in Princess Live - considering they have the camera setups in there.

We just got off the Discovery Princess on Sunday.  The TV’s are quite nice, large,and yes they do have multiple HDMI inputs on them that are easy to get to (left side facing the TV).  I brought a Roku hoping to stream however the Wi-Fi is quite bad, similar to the old dial up speeds.  I was told it was because of the satellites they rely on for service aren’t positioned to serve that geographic location — too far North. 

Edited by BLK03GT

13 minutes ago, BLK03GT said:

I was told it was because of the satellites they rely on for service aren’t positioned to serve that geographic location — too far North. 

Yeah - service in Alaska is notoriously bad.  Satellites are low on the horizon, creating lots of issues.

I was able to stream You Tube "most" of the cruise Vancouver to Whittier and back.on my laptop. HDMI port was easy to get to on left side of TV. We didn't use the hook up, but wife could reach it. 

3 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

It can't be that hard to tape and record anything in Princess Live - considering they have the camera setups in there.

The problem with recording the shows is that they don't want anyone videoing them. If shown in the cabin TV's, people would record them off the TV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lotus land said:

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I think I'll give it a try. Just need to pick up a HDMI adapter for my iPad.

If TV is an LG,  this is the procedure I used on Regal and Enchanted.

Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.

Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

•  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bring a Roku Ultra. I believe it's the only Roku sold with a USB port that supports a flash drive full of downloaded videos. It does take work to get it on the port Roku's plugged into, and it resets every time you turn off the TV, but I find it worth it. If the wifi is good I can stream; if wifi is poor, I watch videos I downloaded. Do not wait until you board to download the videos, because it will be painful. 

Kevin

9 hours ago, kml246 said:

I bring a Roku Ultra. I believe it's the only Roku sold with a USB port that supports a flash drive full of downloaded videos. It does take work to get it on the port Roku's plugged into, and it resets every time you turn off the TV, but I find it worth it. If the wifi is good I can stream; if wifi is poor, I watch videos I downloaded. Do not wait until you board to download the videos, because it will be painful. 

Kevin

We used our Roku last cruise and I always bring many video's to watch on a thumb drive but our internet speed was quick enough that Netflix loaded almost instantly (Caribbean trip). I'll still bring my thumb drive in case the internet goes down or gets to slow. 

• Like 1

Update: currently on Discovery. Managed to get to the port on the back of the TV.  Unfortunately, they did something to the port input so unable to input the HDMI cable. 😐

Thank you everyone for your responses. Internet is VERY SLOW AND WEAK. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lotus land said:

Update: currently on Discovery. Managed to get to the port on the back of the TV.  Unfortunately, they did something to the port input so unable to input the HDMI cable. 😐

Thank you everyone for your responses. Internet is VERY SLOW AND WEAK. 

Sorry to hear the internet is so slow. Presently, you're not that for north, yet, so I don't have hopes of it improving as you get closer to Alaska. Finger crossed it does. When we were on Majestic last August (Seattle/Alaska round trip) the internet was pretty good if I recall. 

Interesting about the HDMI port. Could you see what they did or grab a photo? Majestic is the newest Princess ship we've sailed, but we'll be on Enchanted later this month. Hopefully, nothing to block the port there. Don't understand why they would do that. You would think they would want to make it easier for people to play videos from thumb drives rather than streaming them. 

Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your cruise! From your signature, looks like this is your first Princess cruise. Hope it's a great experience. We like Princess.

Kevin

6 hours ago, kml246 said:

Sorry to hear the internet is so slow. Presently, you're not that for north, yet, so I don't have hopes of it improving as you get closer to Alaska. Finger crossed it does. When we were on Majestic last August (Seattle/Alaska round trip) the internet was pretty good if I recall. 

Interesting about the HDMI port. Could you see what they did or grab a photo? Majestic is the newest Princess ship we've sailed, but we'll be on Enchanted later this month. Hopefully, nothing to block the port there. Don't understand why they would do that. You would think they would want to make it easier for people to play videos from thumb drives rather than streaming them. 

Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your cruise! From your signature, looks like this is your first Princess cruise. Hope it's a great experience. We like Princess.

Kevin

Actually this is my third Alaska cruise with Princess. Didn't get around to updating my signature.  When I was on the Royal Princess in 2019, we had no issues with the internet or the medallion app. But this year, a different experience.

I tried attaching a picture of the back of the TV but the internet is just too slow.  Will upload it when I'm home. 

7 hours ago, lotus land said:

Actually this is my third Alaska cruise with Princess. Didn't get around to updating my signature.  When I was on the Royal Princess in 2019, we had no issues with the internet or the medallion app. But this year, a different experience.

I tried attaching a picture of the back of the TV but the internet is just too slow.  Will upload it when I'm home. 

Disappointing the internet is so slow. In the past, it was the fastest internet at sea and you could stream without issue. Sad you can't even upload a photo!

Thanks for your info. Have a wonderful time!

Kevin

8 hours ago, lotus land said:

Did they install a physical block to the HDMI input port to keep people from plugging in a cable or is it a software change that keep you from connecting? 

• Like 1