Do I have to submit Arrivecan if...

missguy

we live in Montreal and we are boarding the Zaandam saturday June 18th for a Canada/New England and arrive in Boston June 25th? I know I have to submit for the flight back home from Boston to Montreal but for the ship??? I am in Canada and not returning to Canada by cruise; I don't think I need to submit for the ship but I would like some feedback from cruisers in the same position and I am. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Here is the official page, it says for entry into Canada.  HAL is going to look at your test, your vaccine card, your passport and your boarding pass

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Exactly, this is an ArriveCAN app, not a DepartCAN app, and need only be used when cruising "before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada".

This has been discussed with the OP in a thread earlier this morning on the Canadian Cruisers board, but further confirmation here will hopefully help to dispel any lingering doubts.

Having just sailed into Canada (this requiring Arrivecan) on HAL, I will say that if you require ArriveCan while on the cruise, you will be be 'informed' constantly by HAL starting at embarkation with someone making sure you have the app or know how to get it. We then also had a notice in our room, and then a form to be submitted with your ArriveCan QR code to HAL guest services,  and then a 'polite reminder' from your room stewart the minute you are eligible (within the 72 hours) to submit your form if you have not yet done so ... 🙂 .  They were very on it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If one does not choose to use the app, is there a paper form that can be completed for arriving in Canada while on a cruise?  What about flying into Canada to go on a cruise?  If one is in and out of Canadian ports several times, does one need a form for each entry? Does this take a long time for each entry?

48 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

If one does not choose to use the app, is there a paper form that can be completed for arriving in Canada while on a cruise?  What about flying into Canada to go on a cruise?  If one is in and out of Canadian ports several times, does one need a form for each entry? Does this take a long time for each entry?

No, there is no paper form. You need to use either the app or the online verion.

Yes, you need to make a submission when flying into Canada, no matter what your plans following arrival are.

You only need to make a submission each time you enter Canada. So if you visit multiple Canadian ports without exiting Canada you don't need to make a submission for each one.

Once you have downloaded the app (or gone online), created and account and entered your passport information and uploaded your proof of vaccination, entering and submitting your trip information takes just a couple of minutes. Your personal information is retained in your account, so each trip only takes a couple of minutes to enter and submit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just returned yesterday from an Alaskan land/cruise tour. Struggled to complete the ArriveCAN, but managed to set it up.  The ship required we provide the number generated when we received the QR code.  No one ever asked for it at the Vancouver airport. 🤷🏻‍♀️

43 minutes ago, GrandmaOhio said:

Just returned yesterday from an Alaskan land/cruise tour. Struggled to complete the ArriveCAN, but managed to set it up.  The ship required we provide the number generated when we received the QR code.  No one ever asked for it at the Vancouver airport. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We drove to Vancouver and border patrol didn’t ask. We got on the cruise ship and no one asked. We disembarked and no one asked. We drove through border patrol again and no one asked. So, I had the QR codes but not one person asked to see them. Maybe they’re attached to our passport?  

Edited by Andi Land

On 6/20/2022 at 10:34 PM, Fouremco said:

No, there is no paper form. You need to use either the app or the online verion.

Yes, you need to make a submission when flying into Canada, no matter what your plans following arrival are.

You only need to make a submission each time you enter Canada. So if you visit multiple Canadian ports without exiting Canada you don't need to make a submission for each one.

Once you have downloaded the app (or gone online), created and account and entered your passport information and uploaded your proof of vaccination, entering and submitting your trip information takes just a couple of minutes. Your personal information is retained in your account, so each trip only takes a couple of minutes to enter and submit.

So if one doesn't have a smart phone you'd have to buy an internet package from HAL to do this one small thing?

7 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

So if one doesn't have a smart phone you'd have to buy an internet package from HAL to do this one small thing?

Not necessarily Sue, you might be fine without a smart phone or internet package. Your approach will depend on whether or not you are travelling with a tablet or laptop with wifi connectivity. If so, that will make life far easier.

First of all, I understand that some cruiselines are now allowing passengers limited free internet access in order to make ArriveCAN submissions, just as some allow you to print boarding passes for your flight home. If HAL is allowing this, then problem solved. I'd check with HAL, or hope that someone with recent experience can comment here.

For your August 3 cruise, you will need to make three separate ArriveCAN submissions. First, for your arrival in Sydney following your departure from the US. Next, for your arrival in St. Anthony after departing Greenland. And finally, for your arrival in Halifax after departing Saint Pierre et Miquelon. 

For your first entry, you could make your submission from home if you aren't heading to Boston too many days in advance. If you are, then use your hotel's wifi.

For your second submission, there are lots of coffee shops and the like in Sydney and Corner Brook that offer free wifi. 

For your final submission, look for a Timmies or similar in St. John's.

On the other hand, if you won't be taking with you any device capable of connecting to wifi and either using the app or the online web version of ArriveCAN, you will either have to depend on the ship's computers or find an internet cafe to make your 2nd and 3rd submission.

• Like 1