GeoBlue AND NCL Insurance?

We are going on at least two big cruises after Nov 2022. We are seniors in good health considering purchasing an annual policy from GeoBlue and adding the NCL at the cost of $45 pp. NCL's would cover trip delay,  bag loss and delay (which GeoBlue does not) plus the accident medical expense, sickness expense, emergency evacuation, and repatriation of remains which is duplicate coverage of GeoBlue).   The GeoTrekker Choice policy is $460 and covers $500 baggage loss per trip plus higher coverage in some areas compared to their $293 Essential.

Is this a good strategy? We also have a supplement to our Medicare. 

1 minute ago, Markanddonna said:

We are going on at least two big cruises after Nov 2022. We are seniors in good health considering purchasing an annual policy from GeoBlue and adding the NCL at the cost of $45 pp. NCL's would cover trip delay,  bag loss and delay (which GeoBlue does not) plus the accident medical expense, sickness expense, emergency evacuation, and repatriation of remains which is duplicate coverage of GeoBlue).   The GeoTrekker Choice policy is $460 and covers $500 baggage loss per trip plus higher coverage in some areas compared to their $293 Essential.

Is this a good strategy? We also have a supplement to our Medicare. 

I'm not familiar with GeoBlue other than occasionally reading about it here on CC.

But about Medicare... check the terms of that supplement.  IF there is a $50k lifetime limit, you probably would do well to make sure that any other medical coverage is *primary*.  If the other coverage is secondary, then if you have a medical claim, you'll be required to use your Medicare/supplement coverage, and use up some (or maybe all) of it.

If your other medical coverage is *primary*, then you can collect on that withOUT needing to make any claim on the Medicare/etc., coverage.  You'd thus have that coverage still available for some other time, perhaps for a last minute trip where you didn't get any other travel insurance, etc.

GC

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Is this a good strategy? 

That is all based on how risk averse someone is.

After traveling for 30 years for business and pleasure, my luggage got misplaced 1 time and the most I was out was $100. My trip has been delayed a few times with missed connections and canceled flights. What was my cost? A hotel night and a couple of meals. Are these things worth insuring against? Not in my opinion. 

Do you insure against a flat tire? How about when you unpack and realize you forgot something. Do you insure against it, or do you just go with the flow?

The only thing I insure against is Medical and Evac. These 2 things can put you into bankruptcy. Everything else is a bump in the road.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

Comments on the original question.

• I think your approach is a good one. But only you can tell if the premium on the NCL plan is worth it to you for a relatively small amount of coverage.  
  • GeoBlue trekker is a good plan for your circumstances. Based on what you have said, I would go with the Essential plan.  The medical and evac coverage should be more than you will need. In my opinion, the Choice plan is not worth it for the baggage loss, especially if you will purchase the cheap NCL plan. 

A few comments on GC's advice.

• As usual, the comments are all valid with regard to primary and secondary coverage. And all Medicare supplements (Medigap) that offer foreign emergency coverage have a $50K lifetime maximum.  Medicare Advantage plans could be different, but you said you had a supplement.
  • GeoBlue Trekker will pay as primary, so there is no need to file a claim with Medicare/supplement. So a medical claim will not go against the $50K lifetime maximum.
  • The NCL medical coverage is secondary.  And it offers much less coverage than either GeoBlue Trekker plan.  So don't file a medical claim with NCL.

PS:  If you read the fine print on the GeoBlue plan you might see something like this: "The GeoBlue Trekker plans are secondary insurance. However, GeoBlue will process and pay overseas claims as a primary payor and reserves the right, where applicable, to contact your primary insurance company to coordinate benefits."  Just last week, Steve at tripinsurancestore.com reconfirmed what he told me when I first purchased one of these plans - "So far, I never seen GeoBlue go back to someone's primary insurance to coordinate benefits".

Edited by Jersey42