Why no E-Class ships in Alaska?

MBP1

Who would want to cruise Alaska on an "E-class?"  We did Alaska on Summit and it was great!  Tried the Edge - never again set foot on an E-class.  The Black Forest from the planet Altair 4 was scary enough.  Horrible ship.  Dangerous stairs.  Staying with Solstice and Milli classes.

On 6/17/2022 at 2:33 AM, MBP1 said:

Why is it that Celebrity doesn't have any E-class ships in Alaska? I tried searching around and couldn't find anything. Is it not popular enough or are there restrictions?

The Caribbean and the Mediterranean are the two most lucrative cruise destinations on the planet. Alaska is number three. 

Therefore RCL group will want to keep it's newest, shiniest and most in demand ships there for a few years. I'd be amazed if Beyond and Ascent for example venture out of these two areas in the first few years of their lives. 

I'm guessing here but..... A stateroom with a balcony is seen as desirable for Alaskan cruises. E class ships have IV's. A lot of people don't like these state rooms as the window can be disabled by the captain when experiencing inclement weather which is likely in Alaska. So E class ships are better suited for warmer climes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

I'm guessing here but..... A stateroom with a balcony is seen as desirable for Alaskan cruises. E class ships have IV's. A lot of people don't like these state rooms as the window can be disabled by the captain when experiencing inclement weather which is likely in Alaska. So E class ships are better suited for warmer climes. 

Besides having an actual balcony, nothing beats the view from the Sky Lounge when approaching a glacier and for viewing scenery.  Our our cruise on Solstice, Celebrity set up coffee and hot chocolate stations with snacks in the Sky  Lounge.  

• Like 2

Solstice class ships had to be modified to fit under Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver. Solstice was to tall. Can Edge fit under the Lions Gate Bridge? Did Celebrity learn from the Solstice build? Quantum of the Seas sails from Seattle, so Edge class should not be a problem.