Just Booked Voyager for September...First cruise since suspension...Will I like Voyager??

Hi All-

Soooo excited. We just booked Voyager of the Seas Canada and New England.

We live just outside Boston, so the port is in our back yard.

We haven't cruised since the suspension. I am used to the larger ships Oasis and Freedom class but have sailed on smaller ships on other lines.

I am 52 (53 at time of sailing) and husband is 58. We felt a little better about booking because there will most likely be less children and an older demographic onboard.

For those who have sailed Voyager..what did you like and dislike?

Happy cruising

• Like 1

Voyager is basically a short Freedom.   It's missing a club on deck 3 and some stores on the Promenade.  And it won't have a Broadway show.  

Other than that, they are the same to us.  Same width, height, etc as the Freedom- just shorter.

And it will give you the excuse to spend more time on shore exploring.

12 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Voyager is basically a short Freedom.   It's missing a club on deck 3 and some stores on the Promenade.  And it won't have a Broadway show.  

Other than that, they are the same to us.  Same width, height, etc as the Freedom- just shorter.

And it will give you the excuse to spend more time on shore exploring.

Thanks for the input. Yes, we have been to Maine many times and husband went to college in Maine. Living so close in Boston it is an easy drive. But haven't been to that part of Canada yet so really looking forward to that part.

Plus, I am guessing that there won't be a ton of kids onboard either. Which is always a plus. 

17 minutes ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Thanks for the input. Yes, we have been to Maine many times and husband went to college in Maine. Living so close in Boston it is an easy drive. But haven't been to that part of Canada yet so really looking forward to that part.

Plus, I am guessing that there won't be a ton of kids onboard either. Which is always a plus. 

Not many- we've sailed out of Boston a couple of times and New York a couple of times to do a NE cruise in mid/late Sept (and we are this year, too- see you on the ship?) and there are not many kids.

It's also a little early for colors, as you know....

• Like 1

My friend and I booked the 9/25 sailing on the Voyager.  Leaving husbands home this time.  Although we both live in MA, I have never been to Maine or any of the Canadian ports.  This will be a relaxing trip for us (and cost-efficient as the guys are not coming.)  We are both in the same connecting promenade room........the price was right!  Can't stay home and eat out all week for what it cost!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're on the Oct. 2nd sailing.  We've never been on Voyager, but have been on other Voyager-class ships (e.g. Navigator) as well as the Freedom-class ships.  Yes, Voyager-class ships are like short Freedom-class ships.  Actually, Freedom-class ships are longer Voyager-class since Voyager came first.  Freedom is about 100ft longer, so you get more cabins and more venues in that space.  Other than that, the Promenade and other decks are pretty much the same.  The staterooms are identical among these ship classes.

Something you miss from Freedom class is the cantilever hot tubs.  Voyagers are just normal on-deck tubs.  One of the things I like least about Voyager itself is a lack of restaurants.  There are only 3 specialty restaurants - Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi.  There's no Playmakers or Mexican option.  Also, It lacks Johnny Rocket's and Sorrento's.  The balcony openings are slightly smaller as they are cut into the hull, so they have "coves" in the corers and the glass railing does not go all the way to the floor.  

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Not many- we've sailed out of Boston a couple of times and New York a couple of times to do a NE cruise in mid/late Sept (and we are this year, too- see you on the ship?) and there are not many kids.

We are on the September 18th sailing!

42 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

My friend and I booked the 9/25 sailing on the Voyager.  Leaving husbands home this time.  Although we both live in MA, I have never been to Maine or any of the Canadian ports.  This will be a relaxing trip for us (and cost-efficient as the guys are not coming.)  We are both in the same connecting promenade room........the price was right!  Can't stay home and eat out all week for what it cost!  🙂

We will be waving to you. We are getting off the the ship on the 25th. I see you are in South Attleboro. We are in Salem, MA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Yes. Send me an email via messaging on here. Not sure if it still works.

Would love to chat with you pre-cruise.

Should sign up for the meet&greet here (even though that doesn't happen on board).  We've found that to be a great place to exchange info... .I'll do that now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, alfaeric said:

Hi - We've done the Quebec City repositioning cruises to Florida in the past. And we also spend a lot of time in New England with family in MA and RI. We are not loyal to royal and are looking forward to doing some 'comparison shopping' 😉 What are some favorite things about RC from those who know it way more than we do? 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, rudeney said:

We're on the Oct. 2nd sailing.  We've never been on Voyager, but have been on other Voyager-class ships (e.g. Navigator) as well as the Freedom-class ships.  Yes, Voyager-class ships are like short Freedom-class ships.  Actually, Freedom-class ships are longer Voyager-class since Voyager came first.  Freedom is about 100ft longer, so you get more cabins and more venues in that space.  Other than that, the Promenade and other decks are pretty much the same.  The staterooms are identical among these ship classes.

Something you miss from Freedom class is the cantilever hot tubs.  Voyagers are just normal on-deck tubs.  One of the things I like least about Voyager itself is a lack of restaurants.  There are only 3 specialty restaurants - Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi.  There's no Playmakers or Mexican option.  Also, It lacks Johnny Rocket's and Sorrento's.  The balcony openings are slightly smaller as they are cut into the hull, so they have "coves" in the corers and the glass railing does not go all the way to the floor.  

I am on the October 2 sailing as well… I generally prefer the oasis class on Royal and the larger ships and other cruise lines as well so we’ll see how this is… I’m disappointed by the number of restaurants available… Is there a meet and greet? Where do I find that on the cruise critic boards