First Cruise on RCCL

Hello! This will be my first cruise on RCCL and my mom's first cruise ever! I'm super excited and a planner, so even though we're not going for about a year, I'm trying to look into some stuff. Helps that I'm visiting my mom now, and probably won't see her much until the cruise. So here's some things I've been working on and some questions.

1 The Key. Is it worth it? Mom seems to think so, but I've seen some reports that don't seem to think so. I'd be getting the internet so we could share, but this gives us both the internet and she wants to send my dad updates. Not to mention priority embarkation and debarkation. (this doesn't usually mean anything to me because it's my husband and me and whatever, but she is a bit older...ish) I just want things to go smooth for her first cruise. 

2. Refreshment package. I know we're getting this for sure because I drink a lot of soda and flavored waters out of Coke Freestyle machines, so it's a no brainer. Neither of us are big alcohol drinkers, so getting the alcohol package would be a waste. I don't think we'd make the difference for even one day, let alone 8. ANYWAY. Mocktails come with this package, so any good ones (besides virgin miami vices. I'll drink the heck out of those lol)

3. Specialty dining package. Chops and Jamie Oliver's for sure, but should we go ahead and book the first night for Chops? I like to go to the MDR the first night, but idk. If the formal night is night 2, maybe it would be better then. Any insight on this? I know the menus are already on the app, but they're not ALL there ( I swear they were but they aren't now. Whatever)

4. Our itinerary is an 8 night to Aruba, Curacao and Coco Cay. When would the formal nights usually be, and when is lobster night? I may have gone overboard on lobster night on our CCL cruise on the Mardi Gras. That's not entirely true, but I love lobster ok! 

5. Mariner of the Seas. I've heard the rooms are dated, but whatever. I'm not in my room enough to care, and my mom is also "old". I may have told her the rooms will match her and she got mad about it (it was a joke and she wasn't actually mad). Good, Bad and Ugly? My mother in law and father in law were on her in May, but they didn't have a good cruise. There's a lot of reasons for this, and I think those overshadowed everything. I tried to help them plan, but...well. Yeah. So I'd like to hear from other people who have experienced this ship without a chip on their shoulder.

6. Final Payment. Is this the only way we can see certain things? I was looking for shore excursions and nothing. Not that I want to book right now, but I'd like to look to at least compare to what I'm seeing on like TripAdvisor or Viator or whatever. 

7. Coco Cay. What's the best free stuff you've done? We considered the Thrill Park, but eh. Idk if it would be worth it for mom.

8. Anything else you'd like to say? Tips, Tricks, Must Dos, Don't You Dares? I'm super excited since I've been trying convince mom to go on a cruise for years, but dad won't go. She finally decided he could stay his happy butt at home for a mother/daughter cruise!

I know it's long. But thank you so much!

• Like 1

Welcome to Royal. I hope you have a great cruise. If you haven't already get yourself a log in for Royal Caribbean and download the app as well. But if you log into your account, you can see what is offered for shore excursions on your specific sailing. Not all the excursions may be loaded into the system but you will get the general idea. You can also purchase the dining package, internet, key etc through there too. The app is good and you can see deck plans, and other specifics of your reservation. Then once you are on the ship, you can do a lot more with it.

I haven't answered all your questions but I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

There are many more well-informed experts here, so if they correct me, please listen to their advice!  But, I have sailed many times on RCCL and I am a detailed planner so I have researched most of your questions.  Here's my experience/knowledge:

1 The Key. Is it worth it? Mom seems to think so, but I've seen some reports that don't seem to think so. I'd be getting the internet so we could share, but this gives us both the internet and she wants to send my dad updates. Not to mention priority embarkation and debarkation. (this doesn't usually mean anything to me because it's my husband and me and whatever, but she is a bit older...ish) I just want things to go smooth for her first cruise. 

My opinion is that it's not worth it.  When you price Internet for the two of you, look at the 2-device package instead of two 1-device purchases.  This will make the additional cost for The Key more expensive. Having said that, we always cruise in suites, so we get all the benefits of The Key plus a few more, and we pay a heck of a lot more to "upgrade" to a suite than it costs for The Key, so YMMV.

Priority boarding just means you can board an hour earlier than your assigned boarding time (just like suite guests).  Depending on the port, you may or may not have an actual priority boarding line.  If your mom is "elderly" and, say, needs a cane to walk, you can request priority boarding for that disability.

2. Refreshment package. I know we're getting this for sure because I drink a lot of soda and flavored waters out of Coke Freestyle machines, so it's a no brainer. Neither of us are big alcohol drinkers, so getting the alcohol package would be a waste. I don't think we'd make the difference for even one day, let alone 8. ANYWAY. Mocktails come with this package, so any good ones (besides virgin miami vices. I'll drink the heck out of those lol)

Most drinks can be ordered "virgin" and would be covered by the Refreshment Package.  I can't suggest any good ones, because I mainly drink simple cocktails (i.e. with water, club or tonic).  I will suggest that you keep checking your Cruise Planner as prices for all pre-cruise purchases fluctuate.  Ignore the "sale" banners - everything is always on "sale".  You can buy now when you think the price is decent, and if you see lower price later, you can cancel that prior purchase for a refund and re-buy at the lower price.  The lowest "sale" prices tend to be around holidays and Black Friday, but sometimes their pricing algorithms do odd things, so I check prices for my next cruise every...single...day just to make sure I don't miss something. 

3. Specialty dining package. Chops and Jamie Oliver's for sure, but should we go ahead and book the first night for Chops? I like to go to the MDR the first night, but idk. If the formal night is night 2, maybe it would be better then. Any insight on this? I know the menus are already on the app, but they're not ALL there ( I swear they were but they aren't now. Whatever)

When you book any specialty dining package (UDP, 3-night, or Chops+1) in Cruise Planner, it has you reserve your first dining on night 1 or 2.  Go ahead and do that, but it won't really matter.  You'll still need to go to the nearest specialty restaurant immediately after you board and verify that reservation, plus reserve the remaining nights.  Because of the popularity of these packages, if you don't do that, you may find restaurants booked up on other nights.

4. Our itinerary is an 8 night to Aruba, Curacao and Coco Cay. When would the formal nights usually be, and when is lobster night? I may have gone overboard on lobster night on our CCL cruise on the Mardi Gras. That's not entirely true, but I love lobster ok! 

I know for 7-night cruises, "formal" nights are 2 and 6,with lobster on night 6.  I think 8-night cruises are the same, but hopefully someone will chime in if not.  You might be able to see the lobster tail entrée listed on the MDR menus in the app - some ships do, some do not.

5. Mariner of the Seas. I've heard the rooms are dated, but whatever. I'm not in my room enough to care, and my mom is also "old". I may have told her the rooms will match her and she got mad about it (it was a joke and she wasn't actually mad). Good, Bad and Ugly? My mother in law and father in law were on her in May, but they didn't have a good cruise. There's a lot of reasons for this, and I think those overshadowed everything. I tried to help them plan, but...well. Yeah. So I'd like to hear from other people who have experienced this ship without a chip on their shoulder.

I can't offer hands-on experience, but Mariner did under go the "Amped-up" refurbishment in 2018, and it was out of service for a year or so during COVID, so hopefully it's not too "worn" or "dated" by now.  Poke around on Youtube (and CC) to see if you can find any recent videos or review of the rooms.  You might even get lucky and find recent photos and reviews of your exact stateroom.

6. Final Payment. Is this the only way we can see certain things? I was looking for shore excursions and nothing. Not that I want to book right now, but I'd like to look to at least compare to what I'm seeing on like TripAdvisor or Viator or whatever. 

No, you do not have to make final payment to use Cruise Planner (or the app).  If excursions are not listed, it just means they have not finalized them yet, so keep checking.  As I mentioned earlier, prices for everything in Cruise Planner fluctuate, so just keep checking every day.  

7. Coco Cay. What's the best free stuff you've done? We considered the Thrill Park, but eh. Idk if it would be worth it for mom.

I've not  been to Coco Cay since the addition of all the extra-cost things, so I can't help you there, but look in the forum over the last few days - there's a thread here discussing the free things:

8. Anything else you'd like to say? Tips, Tricks, Must Dos, Don't You Dares? I'm super excited since I've been trying convince mom to go on a cruise for years, but dad won't go. She finally decided he could stay his happy butt at home for a mother/daughter cruise!

Make sure you understand what you need to do for check-in, COVID (vaccine and testing), and decide if you will use a passport or other docs (gov't ID + certified birth certificate + any marriage/divorce papers if names vary between docs).  Having taken my elderly mother-in-law on a cruise, I can offer advice on medication.  First, make sure she has a supply that will last for the entire cruise and then some, in case you get delayed.  Also, try to not let her have any medication changes a month before the cruise.  My MIL had a new cholesterol med prescribed the week before and she  experienced horrible leg cramps the whole time.  She didn't consider (or tell us) about the new med, so she suffered the entire time.  Had I known about that changed prescription, I'd have told her to stop taking it.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

There are many more well-informed experts here, so if they correct me, please listen to their advice!  But, I have sailed many times on RCCL and I am a detailed planner so I have researched most of your questions.  Here's my experience/knowledge:

My opinion is that it's not worth it.  When you price Internet for the two of you, look at the 2-device package instead of two 1-device purchases.  This will make the additional cost for The Key more expensive. Having said that, we always cruise in suites, so we get all the benefits of The Key plus a few more, and we pay a heck of a lot more to "upgrade" to a suite than it costs for The Key, so YMMV.

Priority boarding just means you can board an hour earlier than your assigned boarding time (just like suite guests).  Depending on the port, you may or may not have an actual priority boarding line.  If your mom is "elderly" and, say, needs a cane to walk, you can request priority boarding for that disability.

Most drinks can be ordered "virgin" and would be covered by the Refreshment Package.  I can't suggest any good ones, because I mainly drink simple cocktails (i.e. with water, club or tonic).  I will suggest that you keep checking your Cruise Planner as prices for all pre-cruise purchases fluctuate.  Ignore the "sale" banners - everything is always on "sale".  You can buy now when you think the price is decent, and if you see lower price later, you can cancel that prior purchase for a refund and re-buy at the lower price.  The lowest "sale" prices tend to be around holidays and Black Friday, but sometimes their pricing algorithms do odd things, so I check prices for my next cruise every...single...day just to make sure I don't miss something. 

When you book any specialty dining package (UDP, 3-night, or Chops+1) in Cruise Planner, it has you reserve your first dining on night 1 or 2.  Go ahead and do that, but it won't really matter.  You'll still need to go to the nearest specialty restaurant immediately after you board and verify that reservation, plus reserve the remaining nights.  Because of the popularity of these packages, if you don't do that, you may find restaurants booked up on other nights.

I know for 7-night cruises, "formal" nights are 2 and 6,with lobster on night 6.  I think 8-night cruises are the same, but hopefully someone will chime in if not.  You might be able to see the lobster tail entrée listed on the MDR menus in the app - some ships do, some do not.

I can't offer hands-on experience, but Mariner did under go the "Amped-up" refurbishment in 2018, and it was out of service for a year or so during COVID, so hopefully it's not too "worn" or "dated" by now.  Poke around on Youtube (and CC) to see if you can find any recent videos or review of the rooms.  You might even get lucky and find recent photos and reviews of your exact stateroom.

No, you do not have to make final payment to use Cruise Planner (or the app).  If excursions are not listed, it just means they have not finalized them yet, so keep checking.  As I mentioned earlier, prices for everything in Cruise Planner fluctuate, so just keep checking every day.  

I've not  been to Coco Cay since the addition of all the extra-cost things, so I can't help you there, but look in the forum over the last few days - there's a thread here discussing the free things:

Make sure you understand what you need to do for check-in, COVID (vaccine and testing), and decide if you will use a passport or other docs (gov't ID + certified birth certificate + any marriage/divorce papers if names vary between docs).  Having taken my elderly mother-in-law on a cruise, I can offer advice on medication.  First, make sure she has a supply that will last for the entire cruise and then some, in case you get delayed.  Also, try to not let her have any medication changes a month before the cruise.  My MIL had a new cholesterol med prescribed the week before and she  experienced horrible leg cramps the whole time.  She didn't consider (or tell us) about the new med, so she suffered the entire time.  Had I known about that changed prescription, I'd have told her to stop taking it.  

Thank you so much! This is a lot of good information, and luckily I'll have gone on 2 cruises since Covid by this point, so I definitely will make sure she has everything good to go, and she and my dad just renewed their passports, so they're good to go. I appreciate it 🙂

On 6/19/2022 at 12:38 PM, mmtska said:

We just got off of Mariner of the Seas on Saturday morning; 5-night cruise to Labadee & CocoCay.  I cannot reply to all of your points, but will tackle a few.

#2 - Refreshment Package.  

We had Deluxe Drink Packages and NO ONE told us where or how to get the fancy beverage container for the Freestyle Machines.  I did, finally, ask at a quiet bar (that hidden one that is almost impossible to reach on Deck 14), where they scanned my card and handed me an insulated cup.  My husband used the Freestyle Machines on Deck 5 (right by Cafe Promenade), regularly.  The lines are super crazy, so plan accordingly.  I never saw the Freestyle Machines on Deck 11, so no idea of the lines there.

#5 - Mariner Cabins

We had a total of 5 cabins in our group - 3 balcony cabins, 1 handicap balcony cabin and 1 inside cabin.  I thought they were all in good shape.  They were exactly what I would expect on a cruise ship, so I really don't understand why people complain.  Cabins are supposed to be small, have limited storage and limited outlets.  It's a cruise ship, not a brand-new luxury hotel.

However, all of the beds were HARD.  If we had known, we might have picked up an inexpensive eggcrate mattress topper to put in the handicap cabin for my 84 year old parents, and just trashed it afterward.  But, the rocking of the ship and the daytime sun made everyone so tired that we still slept with no problems.

#6 Shore Excursions

We were able to see and book things prior to final payment.  If you watch some of the CC threads, you will notice that the excursions are populated in bits & pieces and there is no rhyme or reason to when they populate for the passengers to view.

#7 CocoCay

Five of the eleven of us did purchase Thrill Waterpark tickets and really enjoyed it.  However, once that second ship (Symphony) got clearance to unload their passengers, we were told that the waterpark was packed and the wait times for slides were about an hour.  The other six of us hung out in a Cabana at Chill Island.  There are tons of free chairs with umbrellas ALL over the island.  Search for a map of CocoCay and you will get an idea, so you can plan accordingly.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

We usually do the refreshment package since we don't do that much alcohol.   Between the sodas, bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning (if they still do that), and the espresso drinks we usually justify the refreshment package.  As was previously said prices vary widely.  In the past it has been possible to book and then rebook when/if prices drop.

Excursions are usually posted closer to the sailing.  If you have mytime dining (instead of traditional) I recommend booking the seating times in advance.  There can be long lines at dinner.

One thing you did not mention was travel health insurance.  You should really look into that.

• Like 2

We also like the Refreshment Package and usually purchase it when the price drops to 30% off, or purchase it at 20% off and when/if the price drops, you can cancel and repurchase it; easy peasy! You have to ask for the souvenir insulated cups after you board the ship; just ask any bar or guest services to get them!

We had a cabana at the water park and I did not enjoy it at all. I was only able to wade in up to my waist before feeling like the waves were going to knock me down! However, I am 70 and have balance issues, so retreated back to the cabana for the day. Hubby climbed the ladders to go down each of the slides but there was no way I could climb up those. I would rather rent a cabana at the Coco Beach Club or grab a free chair somewhere!

We'll be on the Mariner this October! Have a great cruise! Cheers!

• Like 1

The Key doesn't look appealing to me.  Those aren't perks I would value.  

Before you decide you want the refreshment package, consider that you're allowed to bring on twelve 20-oz sodas (or water or other non-alcoholic beverages).  For me, it'll be cheaper to bring my own, and pay per drink on the last couple days of the cruise, if needed.  

Yes, things on the app do seem to come and go.  

Keep watching the app, and when you see lobster on one of the evening's offerings, you'll know that's formal night.  

We've sailed Mariner -- loved it.  Had a 10th floor corner aft cabin, best on the ship.  It's older and smaller, but it has everything we wanted, and we're about to save one of its sister ships.  Have you checked You Tube for videos of the ship?  You can probably see a cabin just like yours.  

Rudney's suggestions on taking extra medicine are excellent.  

LB-NJ's suggestion about insurance is good too.  I've had to use it -- certainly saved the day.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Before you decide you want the refreshment package, consider that you're allowed to bring on twelve 20-oz sodas (or water or other non-alcoholic beverages).  For me, it'll be cheaper to bring my own, and pay per drink on the last couple days of the cruise, if needed.  

I think it is 17oz cans/bottles.

5 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

sorry to jump on this thread to ask a question - with the refreshment package do both of you have to purchase it or can it just be one person (not to be shared)?

The refreshment package isn't restricted like the alcohol package is.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

For a first time cruiser, don't get any dining package. Or the key, unless the price of it is nearly the same as the price for internet.

My mom really wants to try Chops and Jamie's, so I know we're going to use the one with 2 dinner options. 

4 hours ago, Sarah1974 said:

sorry to jump on this thread to ask a question - with the refreshment package do both of you have to purchase it or can it just be one person (not to be shared)?

I think only one person has to, I was able to just put the package in for me to see if I could pay for myself. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Sure, try those restaurants as a one off.  But not via the dining package.

Not getting the unlimited package. Just the one that gives you Chops and a specialty restaurant. It's a bit cheaper 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 10:25 AM, MississippiMom said:

We just got off of Mariner of the Seas on Saturday morning; 5-night cruise to Labadee & CocoCay.  I cannot reply to all of your points, but will tackle a few.

#2 - Refreshment Package.  

We had Deluxe Drink Packages and NO ONE told us where or how to get the fancy beverage container for the Freestyle Machines.  I did, finally, ask at a quiet bar (that hidden one that is almost impossible to reach on Deck 14), where they scanned my card and handed me an insulated cup.  My husband used the Freestyle Machines on Deck 5 (right by Cafe Promenade), regularly.  The lines are super crazy, so plan accordingly.  I never saw the Freestyle Machines on Deck 11, so no idea of the lines there.

#5 - Mariner Cabins

We had a total of 5 cabins in our group - 3 balcony cabins, 1 handicap balcony cabin and 1 inside cabin.  I thought they were all in good shape.  They were exactly what I would expect on a cruise ship, so I really don't understand why people complain.  Cabins are supposed to be small, have limited storage and limited outlets.  It's a cruise ship, not a brand-new luxury hotel.

However, all of the beds were HARD.  If we had known, we might have picked up an inexpensive eggcrate mattress topper to put in the handicap cabin for my 84 year old parents, and just trashed it afterward.  But, the rocking of the ship and the daytime sun made everyone so tired that we still slept with no problems.

#6 Shore Excursions

We were able to see and book things prior to final payment.  If you watch some of the CC threads, you will notice that the excursions are populated in bits & pieces and there is no rhyme or reason to when they populate for the passengers to view.

#7 CocoCay

Five of the eleven of us did purchase Thrill Waterpark tickets and really enjoyed it.  However, once that second ship (Symphony) got clearance to unload their passengers, we were told that the waterpark was packed and the wait times for slides were about an hour.  The other six of us hung out in a Cabana at Chill Island.  There are tons of free chairs with umbrellas ALL over the island.  Search for a map of CocoCay and you will get an idea, so you can plan accordingly.

Happy cruising!

This definitely made me feel better about us not going to the Thrill Waterpark. I'm ok with lines if I'm with someone, but I can't see my mom enjoying the slides, and I am not about to wait an hour!. I'm all about the free chairs haha. Thanks for letting me know where the freestyle machines are! I have some favorites, so I know I'll be using them 🙂

On 6/22/2022 at 12:21 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

The Key doesn't look appealing to me.  Those aren't perks I would value.  

Yes, things on the app do seem to come and go.  

Keep watching the app, and when you see lobster on one of the evening's offerings, you'll know that's formal night.  

We've sailed Mariner -- loved it.  Had a 10th floor corner aft cabin, best on the ship.  It's older and smaller, but it has everything we wanted, and we're about to save one of its sister ships.  Have you checked You Tube for videos of the ship?  You can probably see a cabin just like yours.  

Rudney's suggestions on taking extra medicine are excellent.  

LB-NJ's suggestion about insurance is good too.  I've had to use it -- certainly saved the day.  

I have checked out YouTube videos-it's getting my mom excited. I drink a LOT-not just sodas, but I know 12 sodas won't last me the week. It'll be worth it for the mocktails too! And yes. I bring all my meds x2 just in case, and I'll make sure she will to. I will look into insurance too!

On 6/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, SilkySal said:

We also like the Refreshment Package and usually purchase it when the price drops to 30% off, or purchase it at 20% off and when/if the price drops, you can cancel and repurchase it; easy peasy! You have to ask for the souvenir insulated cups after you board the ship; just ask any bar or guest services to get them!

We had a cabana at the water park and I did not enjoy it at all. I was only able to wade in up to my waist before feeling like the waves were going to knock me down! However, I am 70 and have balance issues, so retreated back to the cabana for the day. Hubby climbed the ladders to go down each of the slides but there was no way I could climb up those. I would rather rent a cabana at the Coco Beach Club or grab a free chair somewhere!

We'll be on the Mariner this October! Have a great cruise! Cheers!

My mom will be 74 at the time so I don't think I'm going to waste money on that for her. Thank you!

• Like 1