Summit - Going the Wrong Way?

TBurr

I have noticed on several Saturday's the Summit after leaving the berth in Bayonne, NJ, does not make a right and go out under the Verrazano bridge to the ocean, but makes a left and starts up the Hudson river to Manhattan, passing the NCL Joy coming down from Manhattan. Why does it do this?

1 minute ago, TBurr said:

I have noticed on several Saturday's the Summit after leaving the berth in Bayonne, NJ, does not make a right and go out under the Verrazano bridge to the ocean, but makes a left and starts up the Hudson river to Manhattan, passing the NCL Joy coming down from Manhattan. Why does it do this?

Because it can 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TBurr said:

Why does it do this?

So that it can sail past the Statue of Liberty. 

On our Summit NE/Canada cruise in Sept. 2019,  the ship did the same thing:

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQblJfGJU-Yx3P_6Uh4ezhVp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1569379915

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 8

Just now, davekathy said:

Didn't we also cruise under the Verrazano bridge after doing a drive by the Statue of Liberty on our September 2019 cruise? 

There would not have been any other way to get to Boston on the ship had we not!  😊

(I really loved that cruise!)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYP8eMKLhrxRmyW5BaIOfp8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1569527555

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To see the Statue of Liberty, that is a great treat for the passengers.  I recently sailed from that pier on RCCL Anthem and could only see the Statue in the fr distance. A great thing from Celebrity

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

There would not have been any other way to get to Boston on the ship had we not!  😊

(I really loved that cruise!)

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks for keeping me on course. 😉

(I agree).

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, TBurr said:

To see the Statue of Liberty, that is a great treat for the passengers.  I recently sailed from that pier on RCCL Anthem and could only see the Statue in the fr distance. A great thing from Celebrity

Definitely a treat. The ship needs to get permission from the Harbor powers that be. I do like that Celebrity seems to do this sailby when it can. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Definitely a treat. The ship needs to get permission from the Harbor powers that be. I do like that Celebrity seems to do this sailby when it can. 

I am glad to hear Celebrity is still doing that when they get permission.  Definitely a treat for me to pass the Statue of Liberty and also Ellis Island.

• Like 2