Yacht Club Ocean Cay

bac513

7 hours ago, bac513 said:

The Yacht Club beach at Ocean Cay is too rocky for DW to enjoy. Will the YC tram take you to other locations, e.g. lagoon? Will YC members be able to get umbrellas at other beaches?

You can take the regular tram to the other beaches, but I've never heard of the YC tram going.  

You would have to rent an umbrella.  Your YC privileges do not extend outside of the enclave (except for your drink package, but they don't carry any higher end brands at the non YC bars so it's kind of moot).

1 hour ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

You can take the regular tram to the other beaches, but I've never heard of the YC tram going.  

You would have to rent an umbrella.  Your YC privileges do not extend outside of the enclave (except for your drink package, but they don't carry any higher end brands at the non YC bars so it's kind of moot).

Actually, the YC tram circles the area.  On our two last visits, the driver dropped people at a beach/lagoon area of their choosing.

To the OP, there are free umbrellas at the Lighthouse Beach, but they are first come, first served.  Other beaches, you would be charged for rental.

• Like 2

Yeah, we actually had the driver offer to take us wherever.  YC beach pretty empty when we were leaving and he took us to Lighthouse Bar.  Late afternoon so probably varies on what is going on.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Assumng one is capable of walking, it is not that difficult to walk from the YC area to another beach area (that has a sandy bottom) and go swimming or snorkeling.  

We were there this past week.  You can walk right across the path by Ocean House and there is a beautiful beach that is less rocky.  Also you can walk to the lagoon as well.  

This past week the YC beach ran out of towels and water and never replenished them.   To me this was unacceptable.  You know the YC is full and you do not send the right amount of water or towels and then do not refill them.  

11 hours ago, bac513 said:

The Yacht Club beach at Ocean Cay is too rocky for DW to enjoy. Will the YC tram take you to other locations, e.g. lagoon? Will YC members be able to get umbrellas at other beaches?

Wear water shoes or flip flops into the water, that's what we did.  When we were there in August, a couple in YC had a butler set them up on a lounger in the lagoon area.  This was in August 2021, and capacity was <40%.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bac513 said:

you pretty much have to go by every other beach to get to the yacht club beach.  This past winter I spent 2 1/2 months on an MSC ship in the yacht club and every week at least once or twice I was there.  There is a far better beach if you get off at the yacht club stop and go straight across the street and walk as far south on the island to the end it’s absolutely quiet and an amazing view of a bay/entry waterway to the other beach area.  

1 hour ago, ericfromri said:

you pretty much have to go by every other beach to get to the yacht club beach.  This past winter I spent 2 1/2 months on an MSC ship in the yacht club and every week at least once or twice I was there.  There is a far better beach if you get off at the yacht club stop and go straight across the street and walk as far south on the island to the end it’s absolutely quiet and an amazing view of a bay/entry waterway to the other beach area.  

Is that North Beach? How long a walk from the tram stop? Any shade or umbrellas?  Thanks.

22 minutes ago, bac513 said:

Is that North Beach? How long a walk from the tram stop? Any shade or umbrellas?  Thanks.

Yes where it’s outlined abandoned cabanas and trees to sit beneath.  Not many people go out there so it’s kind of like a Haven

10 hours ago, JAGR said:

Actually, the YC tram circles the area

This was my experience.  We were given a tour of the island with narration of what we were seeing by the driver of the tram on our way back to the ship from Ocean House.  

7 hours ago, ericfromri said:

On 6/20/2022 at 9:25 PM, bac513 said:

Your question was already answered.   I will also tell you as someone who has been on every cruise line that MSC is quite a bit lagging if you expect to have a premium experience

Edited by ericfromri

29 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

Your question was already answered.   I will also tell you as someone who has been on every cruise line that MSC is quite a bit lagging if you expect to have a premium experience

Thanks for you "detailed" response.  Really helps us to understand where MSC shortcomings are!  Personally, I think the Yacht Club experience at its price point, is dollar for dollar ahead of 'premium experience on other line.  Specifically, to get dedicated butler service, upgraded dining, seclusion from crowds, ample seating on the sun deck, unlimited spa access, excellent service for the most part, and other YC-only amenities I would dare say I would have to pay twice what I pay to MSC to get comparable benefits on a "premium" cruise line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Thanks for you "detailed" response.  Really helps us to understand where MSC shortcomings are!  Personally, I think the Yacht Club experience at its price point, is dollar for dollar ahead of 'premium experience on other line.  Specifically, to get dedicated butler service, upgraded dining, seclusion from crowds, ample seating on the sun deck, unlimited spa access, excellent service for the most part, and other YC-only amenities I would dare say I would have to pay twice what I pay to MSC to get comparable benefits on a "premium" cruise line.

It’s quite obvious you’re not gonna get a premium experience but they sell it as a premium experience.   I will say the fellow passengers on MSC are the real problem.  Because it’s mostly southern European people And southern Florida people there will be a lot of very very very poor behavior that would not be tolerated anywhere else but it seems to be the norm on  MSC.  I was on the Divina  for a few months and thank God it was only 25 to 50% occupied I can’t imagine what it would be like sold out.  I was also on the Grandiosa for a few months and I will say the yacht club there was much better.  So I guess what I would say is this is a middle of the road upgraded experience.  Over on regent or hapag is Where  you should go if you’re looking for something luxurious

2 hours ago, ericfromri said:

there will be a lot of very very very poor behavior that would not be tolerated anywhere else but it seems to be the norm on  MSC. 

Details, please?  

We were in the YC on the Mera and were surprised to see guests in pajamas in the dining room at breakfast, and men with ballcaps on at dinner.  But the cruiseline allowed this (much to my chagrin).  What this "very very very poor behavior"?  No.  But certainly not the standard I'd ideally like to see.  (You wanna wear jammies?  Order room service or eat by the pool, but not the YC dining room would be my preference.)

If you want to see really bad behavior, jump on a 3 night booze cruise out of FL, not the YC on MSC (in my opinion).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

Details, please?  

We were in the YC on the Mera and were surprised to see guests in pajamas in the dining room at breakfast, and men with ballcaps on at dinner.  But the cruiseline allowed this (much to my chagrin).  What this "very very very poor behavior"?  No.  But certainly not the standard I'd ideally like to see.  (You wanna wear jammies?  Order room service or eat by the pool, but not the YC dining room would be my preference.)

If you want to see really bad behavior, jump on a 3 night booze cruise out of FL, not the YC on MSC (in my opinion).

Well OK you asked for it.  I was at the pool deck and there was a man with his hand in the pants of his lady friend in the front looking for Loose change we would say.  I complain to the ship immediately and they did nothing we were in a port     My friend called the police the police came and arrested this man because My friend had it on video.  They were some miscellaneous South Florida people.  

4 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

Details, please?  

I have seen so much on MSC.  In their defense non officer staff is always very good but the officers not so much.  God help you if you need to go to the front desk

15 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

Sorry, but I call shenanigans.   A man with his hands down a CONSENTING woman's pants on a cruise ship is not going to have local police involved.  

And, gee, sorry you don't like "miscellaneous South Fl people" ...

Call it whatever you want it’s a fact and he was actively doing an activity I can’t talk about on cruise critic.   It’s called finger b@@ging

Edited by ericfromri

12 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

Sorry, but I call shenanigans.   A man with his hands down a CONSENTING woman's pants on a cruise ship is not going to have local police involved.  

And, gee, sorry you don't like "miscellaneous South Fl people" ...

I don’t think anybody likes miscellaneous South Florida people except other miscellaneous South Florida people

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

Agree on the price point.  We cruise many lines (16 to date) and they all have their pros and cons.  The big pro for the YC is that it is an amazing value at under $400 per person/day.  Luxury lines are better, but not always a better value.  As to so-called “Premium Lines” I think they primarily exist in the mind of one CC poster.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Agree on the price point.  We cruise many lines (16 to date) and they all have their pros and cons.  The big pro for the YC is that it is an amazing value at under $400 per person/day.  Luxury lines are better, but not always a better value.  As to so-called “Premium Lines” I think they primarily exist in the mind of one CC poster.  

Hank

Will be in Ocean Cay tomorrow. Will ask and see if driver will drop us off at another beach.