NCL Policy Following Positive Covid Test

CPRayVA

We are scheduled to travel on the Bliss on July 9th.  One of the people in our group currently has Covid.  Under Norwegians FAQ's it states that she does not need to do the pre-test but must bring the positive PCR test (more than 10 less than 90 days) and an acceptable form of COVID-19 recovery, i.e. doctor's note.  Her doctor's office states that it doesn't write letters.  She is worried that she will still test positive seventeen days from now even though she has recovered.  Any experience in boarding following a case of Covid?

31 minutes ago, CPRayVA said:

Her doctor's office states that it doesn't write letters. 

Time to find a different doctor.  Did that person visit a doctor to discuss the positive Covid?  If so, perhaps the Doctor's appointment notes would suffice.

• Like 1

First, get the pcr test done to verify covid, as a backup, because of the 10 day stipulation.  She might not need it but good to have.

Then monitor with otc test kit.  Most people stop testing positive within 10 days so she'll be good to go.  If still testing positive with rapid tests but not symptomatic then she'll need to find a clinic that will write a letter.

4 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

I am looking at the current Sail Safe requirements and do not see a previous positive result with recovery letter as an option for boarding. 

I guess you skipped the second item in the FAQs...

I read somewhere that you can test positive for up to 3 months.  We are flying from Florida to Oregon to get on the ship, so it's not an option to just go there and hope that she tests negative.  I told her to speak with the pharmacist in Walgreen's where she got the original positive diagnosis, he's a doctor and maybe they have a form.  Just looking for anyone on CC that might have gone through this.

8 minutes ago, CPRayVA said:

I read somewhere that you can test positive for up to 3 months. 

Some people who have recently had COVID do test positive (not all) using the PCR test. The Antigen test does not have that same reputation. Example: We are required to test at work.  If you have had COVID they ask that you only test using the Antigen NOT the PCR. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CPRayVA said:

I read somewhere that you can test positive for up to 3 months.  We are flying from Florida to Oregon to get on the ship, so it's not an option to just go there and hope that she tests negative.  I told her to speak with the pharmacist in Walgreen's where she got the original positive diagnosis, he's a doctor and maybe they have a form.  Just looking for anyone on CC that might have gone through this.

I will repeat what I already said in my previous answer.  Most people do not test positive on the rapid test after about 10 days.  The 3 months generally applies to PCR tests which are not required.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CPRayVA said:

I read somewhere that you can test positive for up to 3 months.

People REALLY need to read the entire comment/statement when it's said that someone recovering from COVID can test positive for an extended period of time after they have recovered.  While I did single out the quoted person, this is simply because they were the latest to do this, there have been NUMEROUS people over the last 18 months that have done the same...

1 hour ago, CPRayVA said:

I told her to speak with the pharmacist in Walgreen's where she got the original positive diagnosis, he's a doctor and maybe they have a form.

Your Walgreens has a Doctor working as a pharmacist?  Must be a really ugly story behind that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CPRayVA said:

We are scheduled to travel on the Bliss on July 9th.  One of the people in our group currently has Covid.  Under Norwegians FAQ's it states that she does not need to do the pre-test but must bring the positive PCR test (more than 10 less than 90 days) and an acceptable form of COVID-19 recovery, i.e. doctor's note.  Her doctor's office states that it doesn't write letters.  She is worried that she will still test positive seventeen days from now even though she has recovered.  Any experience in boarding following a case of Covid?

I read post about using an online tele-visit to get letter. Showed them the positive PCR Covid test of over 10 days old and the doctor provided the letter. From what I remember it cost $100-$150. If their doctor won’t write letter, perhaps google for that option. 

I have had COVID twice. The first time bad and the second mild, both times after 10 days I was testing negative.

She will be ok.

Edited by cmjars

The letter for documentation  of recovery can be written by any public Health official according to the cdc website.  It also gives you the wording that is required for the letter and you need to bring a copy of your positive PCR test to NCL checkin..  She could see if her county health dept will write it.  I had a very mild case of Covid May 19th and still tested positive on June 4th.  I got the letter for our July 3rd B2B out of Southampton from my doctor.  I gave him the CDC wording, a copy of my PCR test and he did the next day.  Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Kaitlyn2 said:

The letter for documentation  of recovery can be written by any public Health official according to the cdc website.  It also gives you the wording that is required for the letter and you need to bring a copy of your positive PCR test to NCL checkin..  She could see if her county health dept will write it.  I had a very mild case of Covid May 19th and still tested positive on June 4th.  I got the letter for our July 3rd B2B out of Southampton from my doctor.  I gave him the CDC wording, a copy of my PCR test and he did the next day.  Good luck.

Here is the wording 

People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection. CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic).

If you have had a positive viral test on a sample taken during the past 90 days, and you have met the criteria to travel, you may travel instead with your positive viral test results and a signed letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel according to CDC’s travel guidance. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.”

A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to travel, must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

I read post about using an online tele-visit to get letter. Showed them the positive PCR Covid test of over 10 days old and the doctor provided the letter. From what I remember it cost $100-$150. If their doctor won’t write letter, perhaps google for that option. 

That is what I did for my return to work this winter.  I had to make an appointment when I first tested positive at home for 10 days later.  The met with me online and cleared me and I was able to go that afternoon to pick up a letter from them.

• if your antigen test is positive you could still be shedding - and spreading virus. Antigen tests show presence of spreadable virus.
  • PCR tests for a part of the virus that may not indicate spreadable virus but present viral particles.
  • PCR is the one  that may be present for 30 days or more, but the patient is not transmitting virus.
  • Antigen, since it indicates spreadable virus is the most important while travelling - or even going about your business at home.
  • The one you want for travel is the antigen test, and if you are post-infectious it will be negative.
  • If its positive you can still be spreading virus even if you are no longer symptomatic.
Edited by herbanrenewal
grammar
  • Like 1

Two different kinds of doctors.

Pharm D is a doctor of pharmacy, not a medical doctor. They are not able to diagnose or give clearance for travel, as described in the CDC verbage. They advise but cannot diagnose or prescribe drugs so not surprising that they will not write a note for a patient; it is beyond their scope of practice.

Only a medical doctor can do that and no, medical doctors usually do not work as a pharmacist.

I tested positive for covid about 8 days ago (not from cruise travel), and I had a negative at home test today. However, I did look into the covid recovery letters are I believe if you google it, there are telemed doctors that you can pay for a visit (75.00) and send them your official positive test result (More than 10 days old) and they will write a Covid Letter of Recovery that is suitable for most travel. There are a couple companies I found via google that are doing this. One was 60.00 and the other was 75.00. 

I have not done this but maybe someone else can weigh in? I am still contemplating doing this as I think I can use HSA funds to do this and would probably be cheaper for me in the long run as I have to pay for covid testing for travel and if I could be exempt because of past infection, that would be great, but I still have to research it more. 

Edited by aubreyc1988

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Two different kinds of doctors.

Pharm D is a doctor of pharmacy, not a medical doctor. They are not able to diagnose or give clearance for travel, as described in the CDC verbage. They advise but cannot diagnose or prescribe drugs so not surprising that they will not write a note for a patient; it is beyond their scope of practice.

Only a medical doctor can do that and no, medical doctors usually do not work as a pharmacist.

Yep.  That said, I assumed that the other poster was just injecting a bit (more) humor.

• Like 1