Viking Sky - Coffee and shorts in the Dining room

Mrs Miggins

If I could change the title of this thread I would.  However I heard again from my lovely friends currently onboard Sky.  

Weather has been extremely hot - in the 90's (C) but apparently they were expecting down to 80C in Crete.

On turnaround day in Athens lots of guests departed and a whole new demographic arrived.  She said they seemed a much friendlier bunch - and - wait for it - dressed in a different way.  During the port talks over the past two days the dress code was emphasised saying appropriate dress must be observed in the three restaurants.  

The first week had no roll call on here,  but the current week has a more usual cruise critic input.  Perhaps the first week was sold to large groups not used to Viking and it has been really hot.  Enough said.

She said they had new entertainers onboard this week and they love the good guitarist with a great voice who is very popular.  Food continues to be excellent.

We are on Sky in September and look forward to an enjoyable cruise and meeting some interesting new people.  I shall leave my tiara at home although I love the Billy Porter look, but perhaps the luggage allowance would not stretch that far.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Shorts in the dining room--oh the horror.

Is that any worse than some of the jungle-themed shirts men wear, or the obnoxious outfits I've seen women wear? For that matter, is there an appropriate dress length, outside of which is somehow not acceptable?

On our cruise from Rome to Athens, our bags made it to the ship, but it took forever for stewards to deliver them to our stateroom. As a result, we went to Chef's Table wearing what we'd traveled in from Rome to Civitavecchia--my wife and I in t-shirts and long pants. I explained our situation to the maitre d' and was graciously shown to our table. 

I like to wear shorts and choose to wear nice khaki or grey shorts lots of times when I travel; if I choose to show my knees, is that really so awful? The era of dress jackets on flights (my brother still does it, but he's a stuffed shirt) and tuxes on ships is long over; does it diminish one's dinner if a woman at another table is wearing pants rather than dresses, or if a man is wearing nice shorts and a button shirt? If it does, they're not paying enough attention to their own dinner companions.

While there are those who think men should dress in slacks and dress shirts at dinner, and women should wear dresses and not slacks, I'm of the belief that I'm on a cruise to enjoy my wife's company, a good meal, great destinations, and not concern myself with whether the guy at the next table is wearing dress shorts or not. 

It's a bit like political discussions on a cruise--I don't like them and avoid them at all costs, but if the table next to me chooses to engage in it, at a volume that doesn't extend past their group, I don't care one way or the other. I just won't sit with them.

Edited by longterm
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

80 degrees Celsius is indeed very hot.

Yes of course - actually in the UK we are usually talking in Celsius but I am of the generation that switches between Fahrenheit and Celsius - obviously I mixed up the two.

I guess I was wondering whether to actually report back on what my friend said as I really didnt want to re-ignite the shorts debate.   

I just prefer that a shower is involved before coming into a restaurant - but its inevitable that the dress code discussion happens - even when people say the discussion should be avoided at all cost.

Edited by Mrs Miggins

8 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Yes of course - actually in the UK we are usually talking in Celsius but I am of the generation that switches between Fahrenheit and Celsius - obviously I mixed up the two.

I guess I was wondering whether to actually report back on what my friend said as I really didnt want to re-ignite the shorts debate.   

I just prefer that a shower is involved before coming into a restaurant - but its inevitable that the dress code discussion happens - even when people say the discussion should be avoided at all cost.

Don't worry yourself Mrs M, they'll always be folk ready to disagree, we're all different, it's what makes the world go round!

Personally I'd prefer no 'Book 'em Danno' shirts with shorts when I'm in the restaurant and we've made an effort to shower and change for dinner. However, whatever floats your boat, we live in London, folk could walk along with a saucepan on their heads and barely raise an eyebrow!

It's good to read live cruise reports so thanks for posting about your pal's experience!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, longterm said:

Shorts in the dining room--oh the horror.

Is that any worse than some of the jungle-themed shirts men wear, or the obnoxious outfits I've seen women wear? For that matter, is there an appropriate dress length, outside of which is somehow not acceptable?

On our cruise from Rome to Athens, our bags made it to the ship, but it took forever for stewards to deliver them to our stateroom. As a result, we went to Chef's Table wearing what we'd traveled in from Rome to Civitavecchia--my wife and I in t-shirts and long pants. I explained our situation to the maitre d' and was graciously shown to our table. 

I've asked this question on the expeditions thread but it's not terribly active right now, so I'll ask here as well.  Octantis looks like it is a bit more relaxed so I am wondering if someone who has actually been on it, (not well meaning clothing police who have not been on an expeditions cruise) could weigh in on whether nice black jeans would be acceptable for dinner.  

There are still ships (although less and less I think) where you can dress to the hilt...and y'all go for it and pack the tux and cocktail dress....but more and more there are those of us who don't want to sit next to a guy in his Carhartt bib overalls, but think it is reasonable to be on vacation and dressed as longterm has described.   

So....black jeans on Octantis or not.....

At dinner tonight the young woman in front of us was wearing some very nice jeans. The woman manning the reservation desk very politely took her aside and requested she change to something else. She went back to her cabin and returned wearing a nice pair of slacks.

10 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

At dinner tonight the young woman in front of us was wearing some very nice jeans. The woman manning the reservation desk very politely took her aside and requested she change to something else. She went back to her cabin and returned wearing a nice pair of slacks.

THANKS Janetcbl!!! That is exactly the information I was looking for!  Thanks for responding...and doing it nicely!