Q219-Vancouver-Alaska Covid

Craigrlewis

Disembarked this morning around 1045am

Coach load of circa 30 of us taken to Sheraton Vancouver

Hotel is nice and modern

Yaaaaay a balcony

But booooo no furniture on it.

Asked for at least 2 chairs we can sit on so they brought us up two function room chairs so better than sitting on the floor!

They said “no chairs” initially  so I acted all pathetic and said all sadly “but I want to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air pleeeeeeaase”

So I think she felt sorry for me😆

Nice view of the pool but its torture not being able to use it!

They hotel has their own room service menu for breakfast and lunch and dinner and then we were also given a Cunard Menu (much more limited in choice for dinner only).  We can apparently order from either.  Reception claims its $100 Canadian not $100 US which is opposite of ships advice.  About 30% deflation there?,

MedicalCentre on QE were abysmal in sorting out an issue-my prescription steroid asthma spray that runs out Sunday.

4 calls to them yesterday was met with “looking into it” and “we will call you back”.

Finally ascertained they had asked port agent for help and they hadnt got back to them at all.

When I got irritated she quoted me a general booking condition about my responsibility to ensure I have prescription drugs in the event of any delay.
That called wasn't the most White Star service I have received.  

So this morning chased again and told NO cant get it and so best thing is for you to speak to Port Agent once ashore.

Called my travel insurers helpline to be told speak to the hotel ask for a local doctor and get some prescribed then claim it back.  

So called Cunards Handling Agents as advised to and the paperwork we had said “….if you run short of prescription drugs or need assistance they will be able to help you..just call them…”

They were completely useless.

Lots of “um” and “agh” to then be told “ oh can you call back later”

So I called a pharmacy whose details the hotel gave me and had the while thing sorted within 20 minutes.
Had to email them photo of my ID and a photo of the inhaler.

I added some screenshots from Patient Access App and then gave my credit card details.
They didn't have it in stock but can get it for Sunday but don't deliver Sundays so its coming Monday.

I could have asked hotel to collect it but figured enough complications already.

She then called back to confirm all ordered its $85 and will be with me Monday.

Funny the Medical Centre and Port Agent made such a production and failed to get a resolution.

I would recommend any UK people to bring extra medicine for say a 10 day extra stray OR make sure you have a photo of the medicine box if you decant tablets.

So today feel a bit blagh still. Cold symptoms, sinus pains and still the lethargy.

I feel like Ive flown on a mega long-haul flight.

Nice the room has a bath tub as with aching arms and legs have fancied a bath

Will try to post a menu photo at some point.

Dont want to stray into red area but the isolation seems a bit smoke and mirrors.  
Entire bank of rooms on QE rode on one bus

Bus arrives at hotel, we all get off and then check in at the normal desk

Non Cunard customers/other guests wandering around without masks on and we are all milling around with orange gloves and face masks on. 
 Im not been “isolated” now at all IMHO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craigrlewis said:

So today feel a bit blagh still. Cold symptoms, sinus pains and still the lethargy.

That was my main symptom too - don't push your self -frankly my 7 day  isolation at home I was really happy to do nothing and go nowhere . 

3 hours ago, Craigrlewis said:

Disembarked this morning around 1045am

Coach load of circa 30 of us taken to Sheraton Vancouver

Hotel is nice and modern

Yaaaaay a balcony

But booooo no furniture on it.

Asked for at least 2 chairs we can sit on so they brought us up two function room chairs so better than sitting on the floor!

They said “no chairs” initially  so I acted all pathetic and said all sadly “but I want to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air pleeeeeeaase”

So I think she felt sorry for me😆

Nice view of the pool but its torture not being able to use it!

They hotel has their own room service menu for breakfast and lunch and dinner and then we were also given a Cunard Menu (much more limited in choice for dinner only).  We can apparently order from either.  Reception claims its $100 Canadian not $100 US which is opposite of ships advice.  About 30% deflation there?,

MedicalCentre on QE were abysmal in sorting out an issue-my prescription steroid asthma spray that runs out Sunday.

4 calls to them yesterday was met with “looking into it” and “we will call you back”.

Finally ascertained they had asked port agent for help and they hadnt got back to them at all.

When I got irritated she quoted me a general booking condition about my responsibility to ensure I have prescription drugs in the event of any delay.
That called wasn't the most White Star service I have received.  

So this morning chased again and told NO cant get it and so best thing is for you to speak to Port Agent once ashore.

Called my travel insurers helpline to be told speak to the hotel ask for a local doctor and get some prescribed then claim it back.  

So called Cunards Handling Agents as advised to and the paperwork we had said “….if you run short of prescription drugs or need assistance they will be able to help you..just call them…”

They were completely useless.

Lots of “um” and “agh” to then be told “ oh can you call back later”

So I called a pharmacy whose details the hotel gave me and had the while thing sorted within 20 minutes.
Had to email them photo of my ID and a photo of the inhaler.

I added some screenshots from Patient Access App and then gave my credit card details.
They didn't have it in stock but can get it for Sunday but don't deliver Sundays so its coming Monday.

I could have asked hotel to collect it but figured enough complications already.

She then called back to confirm all ordered its $85 and will be with me Monday.

Funny the Medical Centre and Port Agent made such a production and failed to get a resolution.

I would recommend any UK people to bring extra medicine for say a 10 day extra stray OR make sure you have a photo of the medicine box if you decant tablets.

Will try to post a menu photo at some point.

Dont want to stray into red area but the isolation seems a bit smoke and mirrors.  
Entire bank of rooms on QE rode on one bus

Bus arrives at hotel, we all get off and then check in at the normal desk

Non Cunard customers/other guests wandering around without masks on and we are all milling around with orange gloves and face masks on. 
 Im not been “isolated” now at all IMHO

Same situation at LA hotel check-in when we. along with many others, were disembarked.  No separation of COVID-positive passengers from others at check-in.  We were told that, if we left our hotel room, we would be given one warning before we had to pay for our room and food service.  We didn't have a balcony - ooh, I'm jealous.

Horse and bolted and all that but I always have an excess supply of my 'knee' tablets with me and the prescription comes too. If  going through certain airports the box the tablets come in also comes with me.

Being blind as a bat, [wouldn't cross the road with out specs or contacts], out of habit from land based holidays,  I always have my latest eye exam prescription with me. Not much use on a day port visit but might be on a stopover.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:27 PM, mumoftwo said:

We join the QE in LA in just over a months time......we are now all Covid positive (husband brought it home from work and he only goes in one day a week) and the rest of the family just tested positive today - I have no symptoms.....at least he can come out of prison now (I was getting a bit fed up of the texts with requests for various items from the rest of the house) and we can mix freely in the covid soup of our house.

If we were going to get it now seems like the perfect time......as clearly can not catch it again before the holiday or during.......hopefully this dose will last us to an Autumn Booster.

Do you have a view of how many cases on the QE currently?

We just came off P&O Britannia last Sunday. On Tuesday I tested positive. My husband had all the symptoms but was negative. I hope he too has had it as we are on Queen Elizabeth at the end of August and it would be good to think we won't catch it again so soon

8 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Are you flying home today ? How was the rest of your hotel stay ?

Morning Hattie

Thanks for asking. Yes we leave tonight at (supposedly 855pm BA Flight - been tracking this flight and its always late 😟)

During isolation had a phone call almost everyday from someone in Southampton to see how we were.

Food/room service/hotel has been I would say the best you could get really.  I thought I was still on Cunard and made off menu changes (like no chips but mashed potato etc) and they provided it without comment/issue

Hotel at LHR was £80 more than it had been booked for so been told “submit receipt and we will advise”. Car has been stuck in Sofitel for 9 extra days a5 £45 per day so again told “submit to us”

spoke to mu travel insurer who say in their opinion Cunard need tomoick up the tab for all that so lets wait and see!

Now found out my 80 year old parents tested positive for covid last week and decided not to tell me. Found out when they sounded not right on our daily phone call.  

NHS and her GP let my mother “slip through the net sorry”.

She has been classed as clinically vulnerable for years even pre covid and so upon reporting her result online and notifying her GP one of them should have put urgent monitoring and consideration of antivirals.

So when I found out she was positive and none of this had happened I made her call 119 and get shirty.
She now is at home still in a “virtual ward” having a DR ring her everyday and and someone else 3 times a day to take her oxygen readings. So far her 5 jabs seem to be holding it in check.

So that added to my stress if being stuck here and made the whole experience unenjoyable

Im not one for wishing my holiday away and wanting to be home but this time I cant wait 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:48 PM, techteach said:

The most likely places of transmission are areas where people are laughing or talking loudly as that increases the amount of virus in the air. What’s happening with masking in the theater? G32? Lounges? Any singalongs going on? @Craigrlewis do you think you could have caught it in one of these venues?

I was on the same cruise. Because the ship was sailing at reduced capacity (I heard estimates of 50-60% and that felt about right), it was always possible to get a seat in the theater without somebody next to me. I went to 4 or 5 shows, and mask wearing declined from day 1, when I would estimate 90% of the people I could see wore masks. But after the captain sent out a letter about covid cases, masking improved somewhat. Some people carried masks and put them on when they were in an elevator and then took them off again when they walked out. I suppose if they had been alone, they wouldn't have bothered.

I don't think there were any singalongs. Commodore Club was never crowded when I was there, which was usually for the 8:45 set of whoever was playing. There was dancing every night in the Queens Room, but I don't know how crowded it was. 

Crew were very good about always wearing their masks.

• Thanks 1

Now back all safe and well

Fun and games now with Cunard rejecting some of my claim and saying I need to speak to my travel insurer.

Travel insurer saying Cunard should be dealing

Cunard say they will “consider” if I send written confirmation from the insurer.

Pathetic.

Makes me think twice about ever using Cunard again

Yes it does leave a little bitter taste

My insurer Direct Line have been great and said they will pay the amount in dispute less the Excess

It’s a prescription medicine I ran out of mid isolation and our hotel at LHR increased by £77

Both amounts Cunard won’t as the want

my travel insurer to pay 

That though may affect my future premiums hence why I felt Cunard should pay it-especially as they paid the parking charge levelled by the hotel when my car was there for an extra week

Im going to shut up and move on-life is too short and others have lost loved ones due to Covid so my £130 isn’t really anything to moan about 

Would recommend Direct Line though unless I’m not allowed to name check!

37 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Yes it does leave a little bitter taste

My insurer Direct Line have been great and said they will pay the amount in dispute less the Excess

It’s a prescription medicine I ran out of mid isolation and our hotel at LHR increased by £77

Both amounts Cunard won’t as the want

my travel insurer to pay 

That though may affect my future premiums hence why I felt Cunard should pay it-especially as they paid the parking charge levelled by the hotel when my car was there for an extra week

Im going to shut up and move on-life is too short and others have lost loved ones due to Covid so my £130 isn’t really anything to moan about 

Would recommend Direct Line though unless I’m not allowed to name check!

I'm so sorry you're out of pocket, even if it is a relatively 'small' amount, but your misfortune will be others' gain.

Don't take the return date for granted and have a good emergency supply of medication for those unforeseen circumstances.