Thon Hotel Opera- Viking rooms?

FolsomMike

We’ll be staying in this Oslo hotel next month as part of a pre-excursion. I understand that Viking has been using them for years and was wondering…I notice that they offer rooms of different sizes with only a small difference in price. Does anyone which room type they use and if there’s any possibility of negotiating with the front desk for a nicer room?

• Like 1

We are booked into Thon Opera on June 30 and July 1 before we join our pre-extension at Hotel Bristol on July 2.  I had asked the desk to book us in the same kind of room that Viking uses... hoping that we could just stay in our original room... but it looks like Viking is switching things up and we will be moving over to Hotel Bristol.  I can report back next week. 

12 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

We’ll be staying in this Oslo hotel next month as part of a pre-excursion. I understand that Viking has been using them for years and was wondering…I notice that they offer rooms of different sizes with only a small difference in price. Does anyone which room type they use and if there’s any possibility of negotiating with the front desk for a nicer room?

Viking placed my wife and me in a smallish, but comfortable room on the inside of the U at Thon Opera. a few stories above the courtyard. Comfortable, and quiet.

I'm guessing that some rooms overlook the rail sheds and yard / station plaza, while others may overlook the harbor

• Like 1

We stayed in a room overlooking the main entrance and the train station.  Downside was sunlight and the afternoon heat which was pretty intense on the two very sunny days we were there. The AC couldn’t keep up.   It helped to open the windows as the temps outside were nice but then the bright light well into the evening kept us up late … not to mention the traffic and other street noise.  Would have loved a courtyard room!  

3 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Viking placed my wife and me in a smallish, but comfortable room on the inside of the U at Thon Opera. a few stories above the courtyard. Comfortable, and quiet.

I'm guessing that some rooms overlook the rail sheds and yard / station plaza, while others may overlook the harbor

That hotel may have lost a significant part of its harbor view. Over the last few years there has been extensive construction in the neighborhood and the new library is just across the road from the hotel.

Edited by SailorPaulH

Hi Mike,

My husband and I just stayed at the Thon Opera June 5-10. The first couple of days was part of the post-excursion Bergen to Oslo train trip, the rest of the time was on our own. I contacted the hotel directly and reserved the extra days for a business-class room. When we arrived with Viking, we were able to upgrade the Viking rooms for $30 per night. It made sense to us to have a nicer room with a balcony and stay in the same room.  We were very happy with the hotel, the staff is warm and friendly,  and breakfast is very good.  It is also a great location! Attached are pictures of the hotel and room. 

Hope this helps. 

6FAE65C5-80B1-44DA-A36C-5046BAE43719.jpeg

15F2B387-1FAC-412B-9333-BED395334E57.jpeg

09365F52-31A1-4FF8-8839-0BC4EED8311D.jpeg

5A135E74-276D-478E-B7E1-EAD4C9D57BDF.jpeg

E28A939B-EE98-486B-8D44-BACAE73E338F.jpeg

E659F43A-35CF-4A6D-B7A9-3C59A7E62D97.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, brushe said:

Hi Mike,

My husband and I just stayed at the Thon Opera June 5-10. The first couple of days was part of the post-excursion Bergen to Oslo train trip, the rest of the time was on our own. I contacted the hotel directly and reserved the extra days for a business-class room. When we arrived with Viking, we were able to upgrade the Viking rooms for $30 per night. It made sense to us to have a nicer room with a balcony and stay in the same room.  We were very happy with the hotel, the staff is warm and friendly,  and breakfast is very good.  It is also a great location! Attached are pictures of the hotel and room. 

Hope this helps. 

6FAE65C5-80B1-44DA-A36C-5046BAE43719.jpeg

15F2B387-1FAC-412B-9333-BED395334E57.jpeg

09365F52-31A1-4FF8-8839-0BC4EED8311D.jpeg

5A135E74-276D-478E-B7E1-EAD4C9D57BDF.jpeg

E28A939B-EE98-486B-8D44-BACAE73E338F.jpeg

E659F43A-35CF-4A6D-B7A9-3C59A7E62D97.jpeg

Thanks..that’s good to know we may be able to upgrade our room. I’ll give it a try next month.