Stockholm vasa and highlights tour

Good evening

Im living in Stockholm. So I don’t know exactly absolutely this tour. 

But the ship Vasa is walking distance from Stockholm Centrum. And you can take a walk to Frihamnen to RCL. It takes about one hour or so. It depends on how fast you walking. It’s about 3-4km.

2 hours ago, lionheart said:

Curious with this tour do you have to go back with the tour to ship or can you stay in Stockholm? Thanks 

You don’t need to use Royal to get there. Beautiful museum! Loved it. 

D1512A12-0A76-4F15-9226-EBD5BC94EF5F.jpeg

A7017937-4C1D-4CF1-83DA-258054AC9A59.jpeg

762B0B6B-CA98-4B5F-8C30-7729CF5F3602.jpeg

9F75E526-73A0-4494-86D4-29350261694E.jpeg

During our Baltic cruise in 2019, my wife and I fell in love with 2 cities.  Helsinki and Stockholm.  Both wonderful, and I would not hesitate for an instant if I had to move there for whatever reason.  It is so refreshing to see an entire population put active living and intellectual expansion at the forefront of urban planning.

I wish our city planners and members of our governments spent some time over there, hoping that some of that could rub onto them.

Sorry, this does not really help you with your question.  But if you have no plans yet for Helsinki, perhaps consider a visit to the Oodi Central Library.  It is absolutely stunning.

dp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lionheart said:

Curious with this tour do you have to go back with the tour to ship or can you stay in Stockholm? Thanks 

For your cruise, are you actually docking in Stockholm (which has shallow water on the path to the dock) or are you docking an hour outside of Stockholm?

If you are actually docking an hour outside of Stockholm, consider if you want to figure out the train ride back to your ship.  The ship and private tours usually use busses. 

When we were in Stockholm we docked at the ferry port across the harbor.  Water taxi across the harbor, entry to Vasa and amusement park and museums included with Stockholm Card.  Well worth it and worst case we could walk back to ship.  If you are docking outside of town maybe want to take ship excursion.  

We travelled to Stockholm with a  3 year old, and were able to very easily traverse the beautiful city via public transportation.  The ferries are really lovely.  You can easily do this on your own if your ship docks directly in Stockholm, but try to get to Vasa first because it will get crowded, and its a much lovelier experience when it first opens and is fairly empty.  We went to a lot of expensive museums, so the Stockholm card worked out really well for us.  We went to the information desk at each museum and they gave us directions to the next one.

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Whatever you decide to do, don't miss the Vasa Museum.  One of my absolute favorites.

Have you been to Portsmouth, England to see the Mary Rose? It was preserved in the method of the Vasa and it's spectacular.  I hope Vasa will be as impressive.

WE did the Wasa and city tour in Stockholm.  It was a full day, and when we boarded the ship, they pulled up the gangway behind us.  We immediately went to get good seats to watch our exit out thru the hundreds of islands on the route out to the Baltic.  

When we were there the Stockholm Card included public transportation.  Looks like current version only includes entry to tourist sites (around 75 of them) but does include HOHO bus and boats and canal tour.  Not sure it is as good a value as in the past.  Current cost is 2615SEK/$256 per day.  Most of the museums were $15-40 entry when we went.

https://gocity.com/stockholm/en-us/products/all-inclusive

• Like 1

The Stockholm card was always expensive, so it was a question of whether or not you planned on visiting a lot of expensive museums.  We had kids, so we started at Vasa, went to  a really interesting hands on Viking experiences exhibit at the history museum where kids could bake bread in an oven and shoot a bow and arrow, visited the open air lemur and monkey exhibit at Skansen, and then went to the Royal Armory, so for us the card was worth it 8 years ago.  The HOHO boats used to run directly to Vasa from the cruise ship terminal early in the morning, so if that's included in the current Stockholm card its quite a lovely and convenient way to traverse the city.  They sold the Stockholm card in a booth across from where our ship docked, but the lines were crazy long there, so you might want to consider purchasing in advance if that's possible now.

19 hours ago, LeeW said:

When we were in Stockholm we docked at the ferry port across the harbor.  Water taxi across the harbor, entry to Vasa and amusement park and museums included with Stockholm Card.  Well worth it and worst case we could walk back to ship.  If you are docking outside of town maybe want to take ship excursion.  

We did the exact same thing. Easy Peezy. The only warning about walking around is watch out for the "Bicycles" they are literally everywhere and have the right of way...

On 6/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, flamingos said:

To answer your question, yes, you can leave the tour and stay in the city, to get back to the ship on your own.

Just inform the driver and/or guide so they do not wait for you.

Thanks that was my question 

You are not docking at Söder!

The ship will not have a water taxi Vasamuseet. You have to take a taxi, walk or something else for approximately 4km between museum (Djurgården and Frihamnen). 

I live in Stockholm 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trollskogen said:

You are not docking at Söder!

The ship will not have a water taxi Vasamuseet. You have to take a taxi, walk or something else for approximately 4km between museum (Djurgården and Frihamnen). 

I live in Stockholm 😜

This is the description of the tour.  

Today you'll delight in a drive that takes you along the Skeppsbron quay district in the Old Town, pass the Royal Palace and continue to Strandvagen waterfront esplanade. 1700s. Ride onto the island of Djurgarden for the chance to step inside the Vasa Museum. A 30-minute guided tour, followed by 45 minutes of free time, lends plenty of opportunities to discover in-depth. Relive the story of the Vasa, a 17th-century Royal ship that sank in Stockholm in 1628. Learn about life onboard, its 700 decorative sculptures, how the ship was salvaged in 1961, and see a replica of the old Stockholm Shipyard. You'll even find the world's most fully intact salvaged ship from the 1600s inside the museum.