MDR on Embarkation Day

Kamfish642

My wife and I are on the July 10 sailing of the Rotterdam from Amsterdam.  Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day?  I've seen various posts that seem to infer both yes and no, so asking for feedback from you veteran HAL sailors.  This is only our 3rd HAL cruise and 1st from Europe.  Thank you in advance.

3 hours ago, JCEdin said:

We were on the beautiful Rotterdam last week. We have a lovely lunch in the peaceful, relaxed MDR after boarding. Yes, it did say that it closed for lunch at 1pm though.

Was it Mariner only?

15 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s been a very long time since they’ve had that restriction.

I usually don’t get there in time for lunch.  I am traveling with my sister and I think she would like MDR lunch first day.  Thanks 

22 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I usually don’t get there in time for lunch.  I am traveling with my sister and I think she would like MDR lunch first day.  Thanks 

The short serving hour is a problem except for early arriving guests.  But, it is understandable because some of these crew members may have been at work earlier in the day to assist with disembarkation and MDR Breakfast.  And, may have duties to perform before sailing.  

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The short serving hour is a problem except for early arriving guests.  But, it is understandable because some of these crew members may have been at work earlier in the day to assist with disembarkation and MDR Breakfast.  And, may have duties to perform before sailing.  

Yes and as much as the DH would like to be there I would rather wait to the initial rush passes unless there is a nice sitting area.  With the Covid protocols they make you stand in line.  I am not sure I see the benefit of standing together in line as opposed to sitting comfortably. I guess Covid doesn’t land on people who are standing and miserable.  This time I will try for early

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

This time I will try for early

Do so.  I arrive at the pier in the 10:30-11:45 time frame.  Some lines?  Yes.  Being a Mariner Society member with some numbers of cruises experienced places one in a different line.  President Club Members, Neptune Suite guests, as well as well traveled Mariner Society members are in a separate que.  (Which sometimes doesn't move as well as the other ques.)  I have had a MDR lunch many times with first time cruisers.  The key is, I think, get to the pier for the earliest possible embarkation.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Do so.  I arrive at the pier in the 10:30-11:45 time frame.  Some lines?  Yes.  Being a Mariner Society member with some numbers of cruises experienced places one in a different line.  President Club Members, Neptune Suite guests, as well as well traveled Mariner Society members are in a separate que.  (Which sometimes doesn't move as well as the other ques.)  I have had a MDR lunch many times with first time cruisers.  The key is, I think, get to the pier for the earliest possible embarkation.  

It doesn’t work that way anymore.  I’d also like to know how you try for an earlier time.  Hal assigns you a time in which you are to show up.  It seems people don’t listen then complain about lines.  I know people say but my hotel check out time is at 11.  Everyone has the same check out time.  Every hotel I’ve ever stayed at will hold your luggage.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

ques.)  I have had a MDR lunch many times with first time cruisers.  Th

She is not a first time cruiser but all of her past experiences have been on family cruises with large groups.  And never on a sedate line like HAL. I think she is in for a treat 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It doesn’t work that way anymore.  I’d also like to know how you try for an earlier time.  Hal assigns you a time in which you are to show up

Thank you for the information.  One more change probably because of Covid, I think, that is negative for the guest experience.  

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you for the information.  One more change probably because of Covid, I think, that is negative for the guest experience.  

I agree.  A lot of people just choose to ignore it.  I’m not that kind of a person.  I’m a rule follower.  Clearly a lot of people aren’t.