Pre- cruise hotel in NYC that includes parking??

seasprite

Hi all,

I've been searching the boards to see if there is a NYC hotel which has a package allowing you to leave your car parked at the hotel during your cruise. I figured since the parking at the terminal costs $180, it might be worthwhile to come a day ahead and start the cruise off rested. If you could save on parking, it would help pay for the hotel. Of course, it would have to be a hotel that was an inexpensive cab ride to the cruise ship terminal. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing, or am I just dreaming? lol Thanks!

Pam

(dreaming of cruising on the Dawn again!)

Pam

cruising since 1991 on Carnival Fantasy, Celebrity Mercury, Premier "Big Red Boat", Holland America Volendam, Norwegian Dawn and Queen Mary 2!

Hi all,

I've been searching the boards to see if there is a NYC hotel which has a package allowing you to leave your car parked at the hotel during your cruise. I figured since the parking at the terminal costs $180, it might be worthwhile to come a day ahead

$180 is the deal on parking.

You'll never find free parking in Manhattan. The Travel Inn now even charges. The average per day for hotel parking is around $50 per day however you may be able to look around and find a deal for under $30.

I have a driveway that could hold 4-5 cars, just 10 miles west of NY. Wow...a new way to save for my next cruise :D

NJmom

Just think, you wouldn't even have to offer in/out privileges! You would however have to provide a shuttle to the pier! LOL!

Just as Blue Herons has said, $180 for a week of parking in NYC is an absolute bargain!

We don't drive to NYC, but we've stayed in hotels that charge $65/day for parking with no in and out privileges. So, consider yourself lucky to be able to park at the terminal. ;)

Thanks everyone...I get the point. NYC is out of the question for a break on parking. What about staying in New Jersey, but just outside the city (maybe near the ferry or the Giants Stadium) and getting a cab or bus or ferry to the port. Anybody know if those hotels have a stay and park package? Thanks for setting me straight!!

You may want to check these areas out as well. If you could get a hotel near a train station, then it would be worthwhile.

However, I think I would just try to arrive the day of the cruise in NYC and park in the terminal. I would feel more secure with my car there than in a hotel parking lot in Jersey.

There is a Sheraton in Weehawken, NJ, just outside the Lincoln Tunnel on the waterfront and next to the ferry service to NY. I believe they have a shuttle service and a car rental on the premises. Maybe you could rent a car each way and you wouldn't have to worry about leaving it for a week.

NJmom

We are looking at renting a car from our home town (Peoria, IL) to Chicago and then dropping it off at the Amtrak station and taking the train to Seattle and then picking a rental up on the way home from Chicago. It costs $132 total and it is cheaper than paying for parking in Chicago.

It looks like the options boil down to leaving the car outside the city and taking a train in or renting a car each way (or using the parking at the pier, of course). Not being from the city, the idea of parking at the train station is a little scary lol. I think I may check with the Sheraton in Weehawken about to see which rental car company they have on the premises. Not sure if paying to park outside the city is really worth the hassle, but if I could rent a car and take the ferry in, get a restful night's sleep AND save wear and tear on my car, for about the same or slightly more than parking at the pier....that sounds like a deal! Thanks again, everyone!

Is it out of the question to get a driver to take you and pick you up?

A couple of years ago, we were taking our four teenage sons, along with four of their friends, on a cruise out of NYC. We live at the Jersey shore. Anyway, we figured for 10 of us with luggage, we'd need 2-3 cars. I didn't want to pay $24/day/car to park at the pier, so we got a driver. It was $350 RT plus gratuity, but it was door to door service. And since the cruise was an 8 night cruise, we would have had to pay to park for 9 days.

Neat idea, Jersey, but we are probably a little too far away (about 7 hours drive). At this point, I am intrigued by the idea of going on the Jewel next time for a change...I love the Dawn, but have heard good things about the Jewel also. For the cost of the trip and parking, I can fly to Miami! We'll just have to see what comes up! Thanks....and still dreamin' of cruisin'!

Seasprite, even though we lived about 2 hours from NYC, we found that it was no bargain or convenience sailing out of NYC as opposed to Florida. The cruise fare was higher out of NYC, we had to hire a driver, and the first day was freezing. We decided after that we'd rather just hop on a plane (we live very close to Atlantic City airport) and be in Florida in two hours. The only time we'll cruise out of NYC or Philly is if it's to Bermuda.

• 3 weeks later...

Seasprite,

We are booked at a Best Western in NJ.....includes free parking long term for the duration of our cruise out of Bayonne (9 days). They also provide free transportation to/from the port as well.

Total for the night is $175. Not a bad deal at all, considering you get to leave your car there, plus our drive from Virginia is six hours, so we like to spend the night at these park n ride hotels and get up refreshed in the am.

I can get you the address and number of the hotel, will check when I get home tonight.

Archived