Advice wanted re Britannia Kids Club reduced operations

BeebMarc

Long time cruiser, first time poster. 

I'm going with my wife and two kids (8 and 4) on Britannia in August - slap bang in the middle of the summer holidays - for two weeks to the Baltics. It'll be our fifth cruise with P+O. 

Today, P&O have dropped the bombshell that while the Kids Club will operate, staffing levels will be reduced with the result that one of us  has to stay with our four year for the entire time she's there. To me, that pretty much negates the point of booking the cruise as one of the main draws was the fact that the ship had a Kids Club. In addition, the Night Nursery isn't operating at all.

The Kids Club for our eight year old has restricted hours and availability, but at least we'd be able to leave him there to enjoy himself - as long as we could get him in, for the limited hours it's actually operating. 

Leaving our kids there would finally give me and my wife something of a break, which we've barely had for two years for various reasons.

The question is whether you think we have a leg to stand on if we ask P+O for a refund, given the material change to the cruise and our likely enjoyment of it. We're already paying over the odds, as there's a premium for any cruise which goes to St Petersburg. But that's been dropped as a destination - for obvious reasons - but we've not had any reduction in the price of the cruise to reflect that. 

We've already paid in full; the 90 days window for refunds has gone.

What should our approach be?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BeebMarc

• BeebMarc changed the title to Advice wanted re Britannia Kids Club reduced operations

Thanks for flagging up that thread.( I did do a search but it didn't come up as a result)

It was enlightening if pretty depressing in terms of the reality of Kids Clubs. 

In summary, it seems to be "hard luck, take it or leave it" and given the cost of the cruise - when it's too late to get much of it back - we don't seem to have much option. 

Unless anyone thinks P+O would be sympathetic to us asking for a refund...?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for notifying us though @BeebMarc. We now know P&O policy has spread into August and definitely peak holiday season. The last news we had on this policy, and this standard email, was a July cruise.

If it is like this for August (when some had said there were more temporary staff available for this area due to certified people joining crew on school holidays) then I think we are still some time away from Kids clubs being back in proper operation. 

Think I have to delay my plans for my niece and her daughter - was hoping for an October cruise.

10 hours ago, BeebMarc said:

Thanks for flagging up that thread.( I did do a search but it didn't come up as a result)

It was enlightening if pretty depressing in terms of the reality of Kids Clubs. 

In summary, it seems to be "hard luck, take it or leave it" and given the cost of the cruise - when it's too late to get much of it back - we don't seem to have much option. 

Unless anyone thinks P+O would be sympathetic to us asking for a refund...?

Perhaps covid could strike you nearer the time if you really don't want to travel if this is a deal breaker for you ...

6 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

Thanks for notifying us though @BeebMarc. We now know P&O policy has spread into August and definitely peak holiday season. The last news we had on this policy, and this standard email, was a July cruise.

If it is like this for August (when some had said there were more temporary staff available for this area due to certified people joining crew on school holidays) then I think we are still some time away from Kids clubs being back in proper operation. 

Think I have to delay my plans for my niece and her daughter - was hoping for an October cruise.

Doesn’t seem to be much different to previous, I am on now in a few weeks so can report then if any changes but not holding my breath. 

I was able to access all the available entertainment today online but unable to book anything such as Limelight or theatre as not sure what will happen with kids club so does feel like families with kids are not getting the same experience. It is what it is and not going to worry about it as I’m still looking forward to it and there are plenty of things to do regardless 

I was able to register for kids club but it was only a simple form and no info. 

16 minutes ago, Ljdoc said:

does feel like families with kids are not getting the same experience. It is what it is and not going to worry about it as I’m still looking forward to it and there are plenty of things to do regardless

The issue is mainly with children 2-4 (used to be able to leave in Kids club and now must stay with them) and families with multiple children of different ages (may be in different cahorts at different times so again always have one in tow).

These parents want a bit of time for themselves but it is not possible at the moment. However, P&O have explained it in their before you sail blurb on the website if you look in all the detail.

The outcome IMHO is sail if current restrictions are acceptable to you and transfer (or don't book and wait) if it is not.

We did notice a side impact on a recent cruise of this policy - it leads to a lot more kids than average in the main areas - they would usually be more in the clubs area. 

Having paid £399 or was it £499 for my grandsons to go on Iona for a week next year I shall be very annoyed if the chidren's clubs aren't open. They love them and I shall expect a refund if they are not! 

3 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

The issue is mainly with children 2-4 (used to be able to leave in Kids club and now must stay with them) and families with multiple children of different ages (may be in different cahorts at different times so again always have one in tow).

These parents want a bit of time for themselves but it is not possible at the moment. However, P&O have explained it in their before you sail blurb on the website if you look in all the detail.

The outcome IMHO is sail if current restrictions are acceptable to you and transfer (or don't book and wait) if it is not.

We did notice a side impact on a recent cruise of this policy - it leads to a lot more kids than average in the main areas - they would usually be more in the clubs area. 

It’s more down to staff shortages than Covid and I am on 2 of the trial cruises so that will be interesting on top of it, so might be thankful for the cohorts system!!!!!

Totally agree with your comments and really not fair on parents of 2-4 year olds. As well, why are they still going with cohorts rather than a booking system as there could be under used sessions where parents have children with them in main areas and the kids club is quiet. 

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

P&O have certain ratios of adults to children to abide by. Staff shortages make this a problem hence the restrictions. This is purely health & safety of your kids.

I can sense parents sharpening their keyboards for a robust response!

We were considering using the kids club for our forthcoming cruise on Britannia. I did speak to P&O during the week with regards other matters and they confirmed that the rules are still in place that if another child in their group setting tests positive my kids may have to isolate. I don’t want to risk that. To be honest we didn’t use the kids club on Iona last year and they didn’t miss it. I think they were just so happy to be on a ship again to worry.

7 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Having paid £399 or was it £499 for my grandsons to go on Iona for a week next year I shall be very annoyed if the chidren's clubs aren't open. They love them and I shall expect a refund if they are not! 

They are open but not operating how they used to. You have months left before you need to pay the balance. If the blurb about reduced kid's club facilities is still on the before your sail area of their website (Covid and staff shortages both influence this area) then you should consider a transfer of your cruise.

Although I feel your pain, I cannot see much hope of anyone getting a refund though as they have been announcing this situation for ages and are offering transfers.

However, I feel those that are on cruises that now have no speciality restaurants offered at all, at the last minute, are ones that should be offered refunds as they will not get the experience advertised and there was no warning. Many won't care but for some they are an essential part of their special cruising experience.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kentlover said:

If pushing your children (I dislike the term "kids") to a club is so important, then maybe cruising is not the right choice for a family holiday?

what an extraordinary comment! Kids’ Clubs have been an integral part of holidays for years, be it on a cruise ship, a resort by the sea or up a mountain. (We specifically booked a cruise with P&O as we’d been very happy with the facilities offered by the Kids Club)
Parents have long welcomed the opportunity for their kids to have fun with other kids their age, possibly making friends with kids from different parts of the country or even kids from other countries, while they themselves have a few hours of respite away from the kids and the chance to enjoy their holiday themselves.

Perhaps you’d have more enjoyment on an adult-only cruise, where there are no kids ? Or maybe just go the whole hog and suggest people shouldn’t have kids?

Edited by BeebMarc
Adding an extra sentence.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 11:46 AM, dunnster1965 said:

I can sense parents sharpening their keyboards for a robust response!

Maybe, but the ratios are in line with U.K. legislation for childcare settings.

Having legally applicable operating practices in the kids club has always been a cornerstone in P&Os offering.

Compromises can be made in some areas (stewards, bar staff etc.) but this isn’t one.

• Like 4