Question-Air booked with Cruise Package

skatie

Next September I booked a 10 day cruise with NCL From Iceland to SouthHampton.  For the first time I booked the air with NCL as the price for two of us to fly to Rejkievik and home from London was ridiculously cheap at $1100 CDN for both of us.  Does anyone have experience using cruise line air transportation?  We will be flying from Toronto. There are many direct flights to and from both of these destinations- do they try to put you on direct flights or will we be relegated to multiple stops if a price for them is cheaper?  Do they usually use the main air carriers (AC / WestJet?).  Any experiences out there from Canadians?!   Thanks. 

Since I used to work for a cruise line, I have completed many flights using cruise line air, although I've never cruised with NCL, I expect they are consistent.

The cruise lines purchase bulk fares and they generally aim to find the cheapest flights available in their contract. You could be provided with direct Toronto to Iceland flights and return from LHR, but unfortunately no guarantees.

Another potential issue is they often book the cheapest fare class, which often has no upgrade ability, should you wish to upgrade with points, etc. You may also not get to select a preferred airline.

For additional information, I suggest checking out the Cruise Air board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

If you can pay a deviation fee to fly in/out on different days than the cruise  I would do that

Also you can usually pick your flights  so look for Non stops  which is doable from YYZ

Not sure how NCL works  but their sister Company does it this way  

We choose  to pay the deviation to pick our flights & also arrive a day or more early

JMO

3 hours ago, skatie said:

Next September I booked a 10 day cruise with NCL From Iceland to SouthHampton.  For the first time I booked the air with NCL as the price for two of us to fly to Rejkievik and home from London was ridiculously cheap at $1100 CDN for both of us.  Does anyone have experience using cruise line air transportation?  We will be flying from Toronto. There are many direct flights to and from both of these destinations- do they try to put you on direct flights or will we be relegated to multiple stops if a price for them is cheaper?  Do they usually use the main air carriers (AC / WestJet?).  Any experiences out there from Canadians?!   Thanks. 

I’m flying from toronto to Copenhagen for my cruise they have me flying Icelandair from toronto to rejkevik then to Copenhagen.  So you might get get lucky and fly directly with Icelandair ( if you do you can bud to get business class seats or upgrade to more legroom)

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you can pay a deviation fee to fly in/out on different days than the cruise  I would do that

Also you can usually pick your flights  so look for Non stops  which is doable from YYZ

We choose  to pay the deviation to pick our flights & also arrive a day or more early

JMO

We have the 21 day Panama Canal cruise booked from Seattle to Miami.  We originally booked NCL's air from West Palm Beach, Florida and were charged $25 each for flight deviation to get there a day earlier by our Personal Cruise Consultant.  NCL's policy has now changed to a credit of $25 each.  Due to all the issues with flight delays and cancellations, it made more sense to arrive early rather than flying in the day of the cruise.

Everyone talks about NCL's great air prices. We found them to be more expensive.  We were charged $349.50 each for the one way flight by NCL. I managed to book a direct flight from Miami for $267.60 (which includes a $60 uncharge for premium economy seats with more legroom). The other flights from south Florida all had one or two stop-overs which would compound the risk of delays.

43 minutes ago, BatchawanaBabe said:

Everyone talks about NCL's great air prices. We found them to be more expensive.  We were charged $349.50 each for the one way flight by NCL. I managed to book a direct flight from Miami for $267.60 (which includes a $60 uncharge for premium economy seats with more legroom). The other flights from south Florida all had one or two stop-overs which would compound the risk of delays.

Yes you have to do the math for your own situation

I find  Overseas flights might work better  with cruise air

I always check both options 

JME

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatchawanaBabe said:

Sorry but spellcheck must have kicked in.  I meant to say the flight was $267.60 including the $60 surcharge for premium economy, not $60 uncharge.  

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

Hi, I have the deviation for two days on both ends to ensure we get there on time and a bit of exploration in those destinations.  I’ll have to check to see if we can pick our flights.  I thought we didn’t have any control over the flights !?   I believe I can cancel the flight portion of trip prior to final payment so I will keep looking at the prices as I prefer to have control over how I get to places (ie direct) but  I highly doubt I’ll be able to come close to that price!

1 hour ago, skatie said:

Hi, I have the deviation for two days on both ends to ensure we get there on time and a bit of exploration in those destinations.  I’ll have to check to see if we can pick our flights.  I thought we didn’t have any control over the flights !?   I believe I can cancel the flight portion of trip prior to final payment so I will keep looking at the prices as I prefer to have control over how I get to places (ie direct) but  I highly doubt I’ll be able to come close to that price!

I know with their  sister line once you pay the deviation it is non refundable  but do check if you can pick the flights/airline 

That is one reason I pay the fee  so I know what airline & route I am flying

I use  https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

to see what flights go when I am flying  then submit them to my TA who deals with the cruise line