Hawaii Cruises

Therese S.

For those of you that cruised to Hawaii this past January, February and March, did you happen to notice if taxis were waiting at the port? Specially Hilo and Kauai?

It's my understanding that rental car companies are still not providing their shuttles to the airport to pick up rental cars.  So a taxi or calling a Uber becomes necessary. 

I hope this post doesnt get moved to the Hawaii ports page, there is very little action/responses there.

51 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

For those of you that cruised to Hawaii this past January, February and March, did you happen to notice if taxis were waiting at the port? Specially Hilo and Kauai?

It's my understanding that rental car companies are still not providing their shuttles to the airport to pick up rental cars.  So a taxi or calling a Uber becomes necessary. 

Cruised the Grand to Hawaii in March this year.  I recall seeing a taxi in Kauai, but not other ports. But then, I wasn't looking. The port shuttles were running, Walmart and Hilo Hatties. Taking those, we enjoyed walking to places nearby, but I understand this is not what you want.

Related to what you ask, we planned to rent scooters on Maui, (Kahului) knowing about the rental car shortage. When we got there, the scooter place was not to be found. The usual place was also gone on Kauai.  So, if you do rent, don't plop down a deposit online. They may not be there. Scooters, there's a thought.

You didn't say when you plan to go, but as of March, Hawaiian tourism had not recovered and prices on everything were very high, compared to Los Angeles. We were so happy to get back to cruising, but it's going to be awhile for things to return to pre-Covid.

2 minutes ago, irishgirl said:

There were taxis to the left as you get off the ship in Hilo.  They’re easy to miss, we missed them and it was a 3/4 mile walk to the street.  

We missed them too.  I thought it was a long walk outside the port to catch the city bus to town.  Because, we couldn’t find it easily, walked around in circles. 😂 

We ported in Honolulu, Hilo and Kauai in April (albeit on Oceania not Princess, not that that matters to this question I think).

Honolulu, taxis readily available.  HOHO shuttles operating, more or less as "normal" pre pandemic.

Hilo, taxis were available but less obvious that in the past.  Look left when you leave the building, or just ask, plenty of local help on hand.  Shuttles I didn't pay attention to.

Nawiliwili (Kauai).  Taxis were available.  The free shuttle to Anchor Cove (the walkable shopping center near the pier) did not appear to be operating though we were there on Easter Sunday and that may have played a role.  Likewise, the shuttle to Kukui Grove shopping center was not operating, but we were told this was due to Easter and the shopping center being closed - nothing related to Covid.

Realize that many, many businesses in Hawaii (and especially on Kauai, which was fully closed for a year) simply couldn't survive.  Even long term staples like J.J.'s Broiler, which had been successful for something like 25 years, couldn't out last Covid.  Best to call before you go back to an old favorite.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 8:11 AM, irishgirl said:

There were taxis to the left as you get off the ship in Hilo.  They’re easy to miss, we missed them and it was a 3/4 mile walk to the street.  

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look all round for taxis.  Happy to hear they were waiting and available.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:05 AM, jondfk said:

We ported in Honolulu, Hilo and Kauai in April (albeit on Oceania not Princess, not that that matters to this question I think).

Honolulu, taxis readily available.  HOHO shuttles operating, more or less as "normal" pre pandemic.

Hilo, taxis were available but less obvious that in the past.  Look left when you leave the building, or just ask, plenty of local help on hand.  Shuttles I didn't pay attention to.

Nawiliwili (Kauai).  Taxis were available.  The free shuttle to Anchor Cove (the walkable shopping center near the pier) did not appear to be operating though we were there on Easter Sunday and that may have played a role.  Likewise, the shuttle to Kukui Grove shopping center was not operating, but we were told this was due to Easter and the shopping center being closed - nothing related to Covid.

Realize that many, many businesses in Hawaii (and especially on Kauai, which was fully closed for a year) simply couldn't survive.  Even long term staples like J.J.'s Broiler, which had been successful for something like 25 years, couldn't out last Covid.  Best to call before you go back to an old favorite.

Relieved to hear again that taxis were available at the port in Hilo and also in Kauai. 

Our ports are Kona, Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai.  We have cars reserved for Hilo and Kauai, but the last time I contacted the car rental agency  they were still not running shuttles to the port, so I'm happy to hear that taxis are available.  Probably speed the car rental process up a bit. 

Edited by Therese S.